E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW E90 Oil leak / Valve cover gasket issue / or ? ***pictures inside***

05-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
LIVEFREE
Rep
Drives: BMW '06 325i Sedan

Question BMW E90 Oil leak / Valve cover gasket issue / or ? ***pictures inside***

Dear E90'rs,

I am in dire need of some help here please...

Just recently bought this BMW, its an E90 - 2006 325i Sedan.
One owner car, with 140,000KM [87,000 miles] on the odometer.

This was purchased just a few weeks ago, when I looked at the car, it seemed in a good used condition. Drove great and there weren't any red flags with it. I did notice some oil around engine bay at the lot, but the private dealer I bought it from claimed it was just a rust protection and nothing else to be alarmed about.

Two or three days ago, when topping up windshield washer fluid, I noticed what you see below in the pictures. Been looking around on google and religiously went over posts in this forum; seems like its a valve cover gasket leaking? or or or?

But there seems to be an awful lot of oil/gunk around the engine and especially around the valve cover. I purchased the car with an intention of keeping it for the next few years. Dealer gave me a 30 days full bumper to bumper warranty and 2 years powertrain/seal/gasket warranty.

Now you guys are experts... May I please kindly know what you think is going on here ???

There are no lights on the dash, car drives fine, no engine burning smell or anything, mileage wise I am getting 11L/100KM reading on the on board computer.

I'd appreciate any and every input and will take it up with the dealer accordingly. Is this normal? Do I have a storm brewing? ............

Thank you much.

Here are the pictures I snapped just a few minutes ago to give you an idea..

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

I think your car is fine. It certainly would not hurt to have the valve cover gasket addressed while you are under the period warranty though. It will only get worse and your car will begin to consume/leak more and more oil down the road.

While the substance on the hood, fenders and front brace does look dubious, I'd be willing to bet your dealer is right in that some form of anti-corrosion agent was liberally applied. To me it looks like cosmoline and although visually unappealing, it shouldn't really hurt anything.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
LIVEFREE
Rep

Thank you kindly for taking the time to reply Clifton.

So it seems normal? I thought the site of above pictures would be horrendous for you guys!

The engine bay seems drenched in oil. Don't know what my car did to deserve this torture from the previous owner.

Any other input?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
That is not normal by any means, no no no...You have a very bad leaking valve cover gasket, I wouldn't be surprised if your oil filter gasket is leaking..I would highly recommend you get that addressed ASAP as it poses a safety issue, oil leaking onto a hot exhaust manifold is a potential fire.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
That is not normal by any means, no no no...You have a very bad leaking valve cover gasket, I wouldn't be surprised if your oil filter gasket is leaking..I would highly recommend you get that addressed ASAP as it poses a safety issue, oil leaking onto a hot exhaust manifold is a potential fire.
Not quite sure I'd pull the fire alarm just yet.

His valve cover gasket is weeping, but it is hardly a safety issue. The oil weep is contained to the edges of the valve cover and is being absorbed by dirt. Further, the exhaust manifold is not showing any signs of excessive oil dripping (note the clean O2 sensor). As the owner stated, he is not smelling burning oil.

I've seen cars where the valve cover leaks so much, the oil sludge on the side of the block looks like a chocolate fountain at the Golden Corral.

All the other gunk you see in the photos is more than likely sprayed on cosmoline, not irrupting oil from a a valve cover.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Im looking at two spots on bank 1 manifold where theirs clearly oil, reguardless it's not normal but any means and should be address asap..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
LIVEFREE
Rep

I am getting it looked at tomorrow, hopefully the dealer is not going to put the "its rust protection" excuse again...

Does it look salvageable or would call it extensive damage? I am a bit bummed by this whole thing
I'd like the darn thing clean and not looking like a gravy pot, with irrepairable damge to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFREE View Post
I am getting it looked at tomorrow, hopefully the dealer is not going to put the "its rust protection" excuse again...

Does it look salvageable or would call it extensive damage? I am a bit bummed by this whole thing
I'd like the darn thing clean and not looking like a gravy pot, with irrepairable damge to the engine.
Deep breaths, your car is ok and a leaking valve cover gaskets is minor issue. They are a very common item to replace on BMWs because as they age the rubber gasket gets compressed and brittle from heat. The last time I replaced one on my car, the rubber had turned to plastic and literally broke apart.

Its comparable to a window seal that leaks a little water. Replace the seal and you are good as new.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst like a blown motor, your leaking valve cover gasket is a 1 or 2 at best.

Have the dealer replace the valve cover gasket under the 30 warranty and then enjoy the car.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
LIVEFREE
Rep

Thank you Clifton and Bavarian for your continued insight... I am truly grateful.
Guys like you make half the worries go away on these forums.

I'll report back with what the dealer says. I am just surprised that a 6 year old car's engine can look this horrific. My 12 year old Lexus has a cleaner and better looking than my precious E90 now.

Clifton - thank you for putting my mind to some ease. 2 out of 10 on the scale of maintenance doesn't sound too bad!

Anyone else has any pictures of their E90 Engine bays showing the 'regular' non oil soaked engine?

Also - with the condition mine is assessing from the pictures; things like vacuum pump or anything else isn't at risk? :-S
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

well you certainly have a valve cover gasket leaking or broken bolts causing the leak...but that doesnt explain the oil on the pass side shock tower or by the headlight...or yet again around the oil cap...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Leaking filler.cap?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
LIVEFREE
Rep

Alright, verdict as of today; took the car to the dealer and his mechanic agreed just by looking, that its the valve cover gasket. But won't know much until he opens it tomorrow.

The rest of the oil around the surrounding and in all the weird places; he said it was the rust protection. Its quite ugly and quite a mess.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

It is rust protection. Looks like Krown. If it is a Toronto car, Krown would be my bet. you do have some leakage around the valve cover, but there is no way that this could have covered the area that you show - you should take off the valve cover shroud and have a look. I think it pulls off on your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

These cover gaskets are a bad design. To add insult to the injury, it is NOT a minor job. It was changed under warranty once and now out, it needs to be replaced a second one in 65000 miles. My car consumes 1L/2200miles and I think that the cause is the seeping.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post
It is rust protection. Looks like Krown. If it is a Toronto car, Krown would be my bet. you do have some leakage around the valve cover, but there is no way that this could have covered the area that you show - you should take off the valve cover shroud and have a look. I think it pulls off on your car.
That doesn't look like Krown to me, but I'd agree that it's rustproofing. All of that gunk didn't come from your VCG
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
whitee90
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

looks bad

A good thing to do is remove the plastic motor cover by just pulling up. look at the, front corner bolts.try to twist them. if they move then its you valve cover bolts. its better to replace the gasket and bolts.

to check if its you oil filter housing gasket, look below the oil filter housing. if you have oil build up then most likely its that too. also by looking behind it and will have oil under black manifold.

I have replaced both gaskets my self. its time comsuming but anyone with a tool set can do it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
LIVEFREE
Rep

Thank you all for your insights and inputs on this freak show of a leak that had me worried like crazy.

Got my car back after two days... valve cover gaskets replaced, spark plugs changed, oil and filter changed, and the oil drenched area by the gaskets foam cleaned.
It turns out, two of the bolts holding the gasket were broken; they had to extract the lower end by drilling. Darn the aluminum bolts...
Here are the AFTER pictures:

Thank you kindly allllll of you who took the time to post in this thread... had it not been for you guys, I would've freaked out and felt remorsed in buying this car. Now I can finally enjoy it worry free. Hope the gaskets last for a while now...

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....

That surrounding mess is rust protection. Which I think is redundant on a BMW, or any other car for that matter. How do you guys feel about washing the engine bay? The detailers, when they say engine bay cleaning/shampooing; is that safe? No risk to any components is there?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

btw, your engine compartment rubber seal is damaged on the passenger side, behind the front strut. It should go all the way across, to prevent engine compartment air from entering the cabin ventilation system.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
My 06 330i has 110,000 and just went in for an oil change. I also had my first low oil warning just before the service. It said it was at minimum oil level and to add a quart. When I took it to the dealer, sure enough, the valve cover gasket is leaking. My car looks just like the pics in this thread around the cover seam/gasket area. Dealer quoted $908.34 to replace the gasket. Definately gonna check into doing it myself. Even if I have to buy the Bentley manual and a couple of tools I may not already have, it would be a substantial savings doing it myself. Anyone else have experience doing it themselves?
      05-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFREE View Post
How do you guys feel about washing the engine bay? The detailers, when they say engine bay cleaning/shampooing; is that safe? No risk to any components is there?
Why not leave it as is?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

i guess we just dont use whatever rust protection you guys do in canada...cause im a master tech and have never seen that on US cars..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
LIVEFREE
Rep

@AlanAZ: Thank you for pointing it out, guide me what you are referring to please? maybe they forgot to put it on after changing vcg. Which picture and what side please?

@BMWLawman: Ask around sir, I was quoted $300ish by a local indy shop for everything, if I didn't have warranty - I would've gotten it done from them. I just hope you don't have broken bolts too.

@Saintor: I knowwwww... but I am as anal as they come. Just looks wrong to me, just gives a false sensation of a poorly kept car.
I feel like taking a jet washer on it and unleashing the fury!

@volkswackin: Oh we do a lot of crazy things here, absolutely redundant in my opinion... creates a mess as seen here.
Appreciate 0