E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Relocating the OEM radio to the trunk to retain CHIMES w/ an aftermarket headunit

08-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #89
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09135ijh View Post
Sorry didn't expand is it just simply extending all wires to trunk?
Yup. That's all it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #90
Titanium3Series
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09135ijh
Sorry didn't expand is it just simply extending all wires to trunk?
I followed the directions from multiple post in this thread and had no problem installing my dynavin with no warning symbols.

You are just extending the harness back to the trunk.... And that is it. You might have a bunch of questions, but once you get in there and start digging around, alot of answers should be obvious.

If you are still getting errors after the install and you ran your fiber optics, you prob have a break in the fiber optics loop.

Also there is a place on a panel right below the steering wheel which has the optic cable running to it. Make sure you hook this peice back up. Many people remove this panel to run the wires when installing, and might neglect to hook it back up causing a break in the loop, and causing the errors.
      01-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #91
Dom_J
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335 xdrive

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&ks=960

Does this schosche harness eliminate the need for the 12v jumper wire the metra calls for?
LAST 24 MONTHS = E90 328i LCI xdrive *SOLD* / E36 328is Because Race car / 11-Volvo S40 T5 *SOLD* / 96-Japanese Evo 4 *SOLD* / 04-Saturn Ion Redline *SOLD*/ 10-V6 Camaro *SOLD* / E90 LCI 335XI aaaand I think I found a winner

...do it right or do it twice(or more)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #92
mikeisnorml
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
I just ran wires for connecting my OEM HU, but chose to run only the 4 necessary for programming requirements. These are in my glovebox with a 4 pin molex connector. This way I don't have a bunch of wires in my glove box, didn't need to run wires into my trunk, and don't need to leave the OEM HU conected at all times. Plugged it in to test it - worked great!

Here's a photo of the HU side of the system.
and that connector you made plugs in to you main wiring harness?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #93
ripclaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Has anyone hooked up a ASWC-1 steering wheel adapter to the CANBUS connections at the same time as the OEM HU in the trunk? Will it cause issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #94
ripclaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

In case anyone else was wondering, you can have the ASCW-1 hooked up the CAN wires at the same time as the OEM HU. The PDC sound does come from the rear speakers but the signal is not strong enough to make a loud enough sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #95
djpez2001
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Hello everyone, I am new here. I've been reading alot about upgrading the stock stereo to something better and will go ahead and install the new unit and move the stock unit to the trunk. I plan on doing that the next couple of weeks and will take lots of pictures, so if it comes out nice, I will post to show.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
Bmw808HI
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335i

2011 335i PDC

Aloha,

First of all Thank you to everyone for the great instructions. I'm going to relocate my head unit in a few days.

1. My PDC chimes come from all my speakers. Each one makes a sound depending what side is close to something. I installed the CONNECTS2 module and it's crazy loud will make u deaf when it comes on. I contacted the company and I was told after purchase not for amplified systems

2. So if I install the oem deck in the trunk and connect the speaker wires along with the fiber optic cables, can hi/lo, power, and ground will I get 100 functionality as if the oem deck was installed in the front?

mahalo
Appreciate 1
bkwld160.50
      12-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #97
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Does your 335i have Stereo, HiFi, or Logic 7?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #98
Bmw808HI
Rep

Hifi stereo for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Does your 335i have Stereo, HiFi, or Logic 7?
I have a hifi system. (Small black amp in the trunk). I installed a double din kenwood deck and to retain the reverse sensors (PDC) I installed the connects2 module, but it's too loud , no volume control, made for non amplified system only.

So, I am going to relocate the OEM Head unit to the trunk. My question , if it was not clear, is if I move the oem stereo to the trunk and I route the fiber optic cables, can hi/lo, power, ground as well as hooking up the speaker wires to the amp will everything work as if the stereo was still installed in the front. (NO SOS malfunction and PDC will work without Connects2 module?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #99
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw808HI View Post
I have a hifi system. (Small black amp in the trunk). I installed a double din kenwood deck and to retain the reverse sensors (PDC) I installed the connects2 module, but it's too loud , no volume control, made for non amplified system only.

So, I am going to relocate the OEM Head unit to the trunk. My question , if it was not clear, is if I move the oem stereo to the trunk and I route the fiber optic cables, can hi/lo, power, ground as well as hooking up the speaker wires to the amp will everything work as if the stereo was still installed in the front. (NO SOS malfunction and PDC will work without Connects2 module?
Relocating the headunit will fix the SOS errors, but I don't see how you'd get the pdc to work like that.

Are you using the speaker level outputs or RCA outputs from the new headunit?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #100
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You need something connected to the analog outputs of the deck - the analog pins that would normally feed the HiFi amp. When we did this in a Stereo car, we used the 9V outputs that drive speakers and connected them to a set of OEM tweeters we installed under the grilles in the rear deck. You probably need a set of tweeters there, AND small amp like an Alpine PowerPack on the outputs of the BMW deck driving the tweeters, to make the PDC sounds.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #101
Bmw808HI
Rep

Quote:
You need something connected to the analog outputs of the deck - the analog pins that would normally feed the HiFi amp. When we did this in a Stereo car, we used the 9V outputs that drive speakers and connected them to a set of OEM tweeters we installed under the grilles in the rear deck. You probably need a set of tweeters there, AND small amp like an Alpine PowerPack on the outputs of the BMW deck driving the tweeters, to make the PDC sounds.
kenwood double din is installed and connected via metra harness. I have sound coming out of the speakers but I have sos malfunction and no pdc. I thought I could piggy back the oem head unit speaker wires with the kenwood wood speaker wires that's already connected to the amp to retain the pdc. So basically both the kenwood and oem speaker wires would be spliced together?

My apologies this is all new to me. And thankyou for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #102
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Do not splice any speaker wires together. Didn't say anything of the sort.

Re-read my post. The outputs of the OEM HU will generate the PDC sounds. You need a place for them to play.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #103
Bmw808HI
Rep

Quote:
Do not splice any speaker wires together. Didn't say anything of the sort.

Re-read my post. The outputs of the OEM HU will generate the PDC sounds. You need a place for them to play.
VP, got it. no splicing will run separate speakers/tweeters from oem head unit for PDC.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #104
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw808HI View Post
VP, got it. no splicing will run separate speakers/tweeters from oem head unit for PDC.
You could also use a line output converter. That would fix the chimes, and you should be using low level outputs into the stock amp anyways.

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...l#.Uq1_pxYx_zI

http://davidnavone.com/product/n-rhl...put-converter/
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #105
hely
Registered
Rep
Drives: 316D

I have a standard professionel HU on my EU 2011 e90. Seems like I don't have most, no amp and no speakers at the mirrors. Just standard basic stereo.

If i relocate HU to the trunk with all wires, will i retain all the chimes like usual? I read that some of you loses volume etc, but i presume that it is on the non LCI with the small speaker under the steeringswheel/glovebox? Or do i also have the small speaker. For me it sounds like it comes out from the whole stereo system. I want to retain all the chimes on same level and volume.

My idea is to fit a Parrot Asteroid Smart HU to the front. Use amp lineout from the Asteroid and plug it into the original AUX. Then power both HU. All sound will go through the original system by AUX.

Buy the Metra kits and one Connects2 wheel adaptor. Splice it into one harness.

So the wheel controlls the Asteroid volume, navigation etc. And then have the Professional HU on a given max volume. I understand that i need constant 12V from somewhere else to the Parrot, but i don't need it for the original HU do i? It is just a simple extension?

Will it work? I will eventually also duplicate the ignition signal to the Asteroid.

Last edited by hely; 01-06-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #106
cfoster
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i Vert

Has anyone every toyed with relocating the stock stereo to the glovebox or even under the front seats (presuming you won't be using the subs underneath?). If there is space it seems a waste dragging cables through the car to the back?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #107
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfoster View Post
Has anyone every toyed with relocating the stock stereo to the glovebox or even under the front seats (presuming you won't be using the subs underneath?). If there is space it seems a waste dragging cables through the car to the back?
The only wires you need to run from the dash to the trunk is the 2 can cables. You're going to have to run your rca cables, remote wire, and constant 12 volt for the new headunit anyways.

Use this harness instead of the Metra 70-9003.
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/bmw-1...n-support.html

Last edited by bmw325i; 03-18-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #108
cfoster
Private
Rep

Sorry but what do you mean by CAN cables?!! (sorry!!).

With regards to the new unit is it a case of splicing into the extended loom to get +, - and ignition?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #109
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfoster View Post
Sorry but what do you mean by CAN cables?!! (sorry!!).

With regards to the new unit is it a case of splicing into the extended loom to get +, - and ignition?

Thanks
The CAN wires are pin #9 and 11. Tap those on the Connects2 harness in the dash and extend them to the Metra harness in the trunk. If you have the base system you'll also need to extend the power and ground wires. With Logic 7 or Hifi you can use the power and ground from the stock amp.

For the new headunit you need to run a constant 12 volt to the battery. If you find an ISO harness for your aftermarket headunit installing the new headunit is pretty much plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #110
cfoster
Private
Rep

I think I do have the base system yes. I think I'm going to relocate the unit in the glovebox and splice / source the cables required for the unit seperately. Not worried about wiring / soldering etc (used to be an alarm fitter!). I'll spend tomorrow ripping it out to see what I actually have!
Appreciate 0