E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Helix 335i Traps a best of 113.1mph and best ET of 12.8

11-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #23
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
not just octane but fuel quality as well my S4 would pick up 35whp with no timing changes when running a few gallons of toluene mixed w/ 93 octan
That is interesting. 35whp is huge for such a cheap liquid. That's like NOS. There was a recent thread on toluene as an octane booster. Kind of makes you wonder if such an additive was (secretly) used to produce some of these people's 335i 1/4 times?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #24
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
That is interesting. 35whp is huge for such a cheap liquid. That's like NOS. There was a recent thread on toluene as an octane booster. Kind of makes you wonder if such an additive was (secretly) used to produce some of these people's 335i 1/4 times?
well toluene as well as some other race fuels can run at a richer stoich air fuel ratio which means under power you can burn more fuel(extract more power) as more fuel is combusting. Toluene is also an active component in many of the race fuels sold if you know how to read a fuel spec sheet you can sometimes "guess" what the companies are adding if you look at the specific gravity of the fuel.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #25
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Well, see this is all a bit misleading; with the larger timeslips that you can actually see, it's obvious that the 113mph trap was with the horrible 2.4x 60ft. and 13.5x sec. ET. The decent 12.8x sec. ET was with a 109.x mph trap speed and 1.9x sec. 60ft...all very good btw. So, what's the moral of this experience...that higher octane race gas really does wonders for these cars?
Moral of the story is, new reccord trap speed, and track numbers to show that the 70rwhp gain over stock, with no supporting mods is real, and really gives the 1/4th mile times it should
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #26
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
well toluene as well as some other race fuels can run at a richer stoich air fuel ratio which means under power you can burn more fuel(extract more power) as more fuel is combusting.
Yes. When I hear "rich" I habitually associate that with unburned fuel. But, in this case, "rich" means richer than normal for same clean burn.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #27
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
the boost is "tuned" to run 11-13psi.

Seems pretty conservative (which is good). I suspect we'll just need a group of dyno's and trap speeds from a few different cars to get a good feel for performance of this tune. As we all know there is a range in any model of car, and issues sometimes come up once 100 different cars are running an "off the shelf tune" that didn't present themselves in the first 20 applications. The VERY interesting thing is the price. If the nuts and bolts of the tune are as elegant as the Procede then you've really got a winner.
      11-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #28
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

The times seem great guys! Great traps especially. Are you guys relying on the stock ecu for timing adjustments then or are you tuning it?

I am still very interested in this setup to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #29
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

bigger without clicking....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #30
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

for 795 and some race gas matching e92 m3 trap speeds lawl
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #31
Helix Wildebeest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mini TurboKompressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
for 795 and some race gas matching e92 m3 trap speeds lawl
Tell me about it. His first time up to bat with the car he beats my quickest ET of 12.852 and then the 2nd run he beat my fastest trap of 110mph. Oh well that it why I have turbos being delivered today
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #32
horsedjump
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow. I may be jumping ship soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #33
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

It is very risky to develop a new solution which is only a couple of $ cheaper than the next available piggyback, the PROcede dark. If Shiv would decide to load a more powerful map I would like to see how this turns out. Upgradeable to V2. The only way to diversify is to provide a better tune than Vishnu, which will be hard to achieve.

My 2 cents.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #34
Helix Wildebeest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mini TurboKompressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
It is very risky to develop a new solution which is only a couple of $ cheaper than the next available piggyback, the PROcede dark. If Shiv would decide to load a more powerful map I would like to see how this turns out. Upgradeable to V2. The only way to diversify is to provide a better tune than Vishnu, which will be hard to achieve.

My 2 cents.

- Eugen

I feel that Helix has a good following and great customer relationship. They don't need everyone to buy from them, but it would be nice. To have another option on the table only make the X35 aftermarket that much better.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #35
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

My 2 cents.

- Eugen
you honestly beleive that nobody can easily provide a "better tune" than vishnu? I don't understand your logic on this one, and ussually you are quite logical.

one thing you learn in life... there is ALWAYS something better. I am not saying that this is better, I am just saying you cant be so closed minded to any future tunes.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #36
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
you honestly beleive that nobody can easily provide a "better tune" than vishnu? I don't understand your logic on this one, and ussually you are quite logical.

one thing you learn in life... there is ALWAYS something better. I am not saying that this is better, I am just saying you cant be so closed minded to any future tunes.
+1

Seems like this is a common attitude on this board...Vishnu can't do wrong...notwithstanding production problems, limp modes, etc.

I just don't get it...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #37
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
I know you have a preference for Vishnu's product, but this is seriously closed minded. For every platform made and the aftermarket support, there will be pioneers and then, quite often, others who provide something superior at a later date. I am also not saying this is the case here, but it can and most likely will happen.

This market is still juvenille. Other companies will come out with packages, including turbo upgrades, which will change observations of the top tuners.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #38
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I know you have a preference for Vishnu's product, but this is seriously closed minded. For every platform made and the aftermarket support, there will be pioneers and then, quite often, others who provide something superior at a later date. I am also not saying this is the case here, but it can and most likely will happen.

This market is still juvenille. Other companies will come out with packages, including turbo upgrades, which will change observations of the top tuners.
+1 Procede user here, and haven't had one problem, other than the solenoid boost bypass has been less than elegant for driveability compared to stock. Now V2 improved this. Vishnu wouldn't have any negativity towards it if they said V2 wouldn't be out till 2008 up front. To be honest, lots of us have lost our thrill with v1.47 because we have gotten used to the power, not because it is a bad product. At some point, there's only so much you can do differently with a tune, right?
      11-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #39
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

is your tune using both boost solenoids?
      11-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #40
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
At some point, there's only so much you can do differently with a tune, right?
True, since we are dealing with fuel, spark and boost; there is a limitation to how far a tuner can go without supporting hardware upgrades. Some may end up with a smoother curve, others with a more aggressive curve. But eventually it typically comes down to price, availability and desired tune; often in that order.

If a newcomer can provide V2.x power, smoothness and response (yet to be seen by me; still waiting ) at $500 less, the new market will shift. It happens all of the time. Someone is always the flavor of the day; but never forever.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #41
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
is your tune using both boost solenoids?
Good question...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #42
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Congrats!

New TS record, and again, is not a Procede. hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #43
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

umm... Helix has built some of the best Mini's in the world and Vishnu has built some of the most unreliable Evo's in the world... i'm pretty sure in a few months time they will have it perfected, and i believe personally that they easily have the capability to one up the Procede... keep in mind they've been at this a matter of weeks where Vishnu has been in the game more than a year at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:24 AM   #44
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Good question...
currently we are bypassing a solenoid as the car runs smoothly, perfectly and CODE FREE in the current state. The attache does have a boost control map that we will activate if the current method starts giving us headaches. as far as tuner experience I have been in this game for a LOOOONG time going back to my first turbo car in 1987 a shelby charger glhs. we have been seriously tuning forced induction engine management for well over the last decade including AEM EMS(factory trained),Autronic, Motec,factory engine management systems. piggybacks from a basic AFC to the "standalone like" Attache and simple extra injection controllers such as paxtamap fuelers. we have tuned 100's of cars many of which were hard to do projects like the Helix Mini TurboKompressor. Generally speaking and people that know us from the Audi Realm is that we are usually way ahead of the curve(performance wise) when it comes to modifying a new platform achieving performance levels YEARS before the competition in many cases.
Appreciate 0