E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intercooler question (5-7 differences and install in a vert)

07-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Intercooler question (5-7 differences and install in a vert)

Hey guys i presently have a 5" vrsf fmic installed in my 2011 335is convertible. I'm considering going to the VRSF 7.5" STEPPED COMPETITION fmic.

Mainly 2 questions here, will i experience any lag or what should the differences be between my current 5" and the 7.5 stepped comp one? And is there any difficulties with mounting this bigger 7.5" in the e93 convertible?

I almost daily drive this car in Hawaii 85+ degree temps, and im running an OTS cobb stage 2 91 Oct tune hitting 17-18 psi on full boost. I am fbo minus the cat back exhaust but it is the IS exhaust and i plan on adding the vrsf stock location high flow inlets during the same install hopefully. If all goes as planed i will also try to have it custom street tuned by the same shop. Just trying to see if this is the right course of action recommended or would recommend something different??? Thanks for the comments.
      07-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Shouldnt notice any lag, and if there is any, the improvement IAT control is worth it

Install should be the same as an other E90

Only thing that concerns me about your post is the tuning. I would have someone reputable in the n54 world remote tune you, rather than some random shop who just happens to have access to Cobb software. Twisted Tuning, BQ, v8bait, Shoup, Wedge, etc
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
Hey guys i presently have a 5" vrsf fmic installed in my 2011 335is convertible. I'm considering going to the VRSF 7.5" STEPPED COMPETITION fmic.

Mainly 2 questions here, will i experience any lag or what should the differences be between my current 5" and the 7.5 stepped comp one? And is there any difficulties with mounting this bigger 7.5" in the e93 convertible?

I almost daily drive this car in Hawaii 85+ degree temps, and im running an OTS cobb stage 2 91 Oct tune hitting 17-18 psi on full boost. I am fbo minus the cat back exhaust but it is the IS exhaust and i plan on adding the vrsf stock location high flow inlets during the same install hopefully. If all goes as planed i will also try to have it custom street tuned by the same shop. Just trying to see if this is the right course of action recommended or would recommend something different??? Thanks for the comments.
Lag should be negligible. The difference in IAT will be apparent. The 7.5" will also have less tendency to heat soak as quick as the 5". The 7.5" requires cutting and trimming of inner bumper shrouds.

For someone in your hotter climate, you definitely want a bigger better FMIC.
Appreciate 1