E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Exhaust mod for E90. Advice?

09-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
billabum
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI 320i

Exhaust mod for E90. Advice?

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but anyway, I recently had a performance exhaust and BMC air filter installed for more "vroom vroom" noise. However, it still doesn't sound as loud as I wanted it to be. The exhaust itself sounds great but you need to get close to appreciate it. There is not much presence when idling unless you're in a enclosed area like a car park or garage.

I am planning on getting a custom job done. What can I do to get a deeper and louder tone (minus the drone)? Custom midpipe? Resonator delete? Catless? What should I avoid or be weary of? I am not well informed on exhaust mods so any advice will be considered and appreciated.

Cheers, fellas.

Last edited by billabum; 09-29-2017 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabum View Post
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but anyway, I recently had a performance exhaust and BMC air filter installed for more "vroom vroom" noise. However, it still doesn't sound as loud as I wanted it to be. The exhaust itself sounds great but you need to get close to appreciate it. There is not much presence when idling unless you're in a enclosed area like a car park or garage.

I am planning on getting a custom job done. What can I do to make it sound deeper and louder (minus the drone)? Custom midpipe? Resonator delete? Catless? What should I avoid or be weary of? I am not well informed on exhaust mods so any advice will be considered and appreciated.

Cheers, fellas.
Delete Secondary Cat, if you want louder after, delete the res. Secondary cats tho should be plenty
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

If you're trying to avoid drone, definitely don't delete the resonator.

There are a lot of ways to get what you're after. It all comes down to the kind of sound you want. It seems like you want "loud," so I would look into replacing parts of the exhaust system with straight pipes-- secondary cats if you're not sure of the idea yet, muffler if you are. I have posted in several different threads that I have a muffler delete and love it. Very little drone and no rasp, pops and gurgles can be heard down the block, and it cost me something like $100.
      09-29-2017, 03:13 AM   #4
wynes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I got these and installed them just before the rear muffler.

https://trademe.co.nz/1406376717

I have the cover on the one on the right and cover off on the left hand side. There is no drone at all so I'm really happy.

It was to loud for me with them both off, but, when you do, driving in sports and manual mode (i have DCT), they sound great but too loud for everyday use. In auto there is alot of drone and gear changes sounded terrible.

Hope you find something you like.
Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #5
billabum
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI 320i

Thanks for all the input so far, guys!

I recently installed the PE so I won't be doing a muffler delete. However, I was planning on deleting the resonator. Is drone necessarily a "bad thing"? What is classified as drone anyway?

I want my car to have presence when idling and driving in general. My car looks aggressive but it certainly doesn't sound the part
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Drone is the exhaust system resonating it within a certain RPM range. Yes, i'm not a fan of having drone. Your or occupants will also appreciate not having it. It isn't damaging but will grow old real quick if you get it. The more load on the car, i.e climbing a hill when in that rpm range of drone, the louder it is. I would not recommend "wanting it".
Appreciate 0