E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 Warranty Issues?

11-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

JB4 Warranty Issues?

I'm sure this has been talked about before but i couldn't find exactly what i was looking for in the search. So some of my questions would be: 1) Will a JB4 or Cobb AP void the factory warranty? 2) If no would i need to disconnect the tune and reflash my car before bringing it into the dealer? 3) Will they be able to tell that i ever installed the tune on my car? 4) What else should be added when getting a tune? As of now i only have a BMS intake. Should i be looking at a JB4 stage 1 or 2 or does it not matter what other work i have done?

Any help would be great. Thank you everybody.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

You need to search and read more. A lot of your questions are easy answers.
1) Generally the answer is YES! Unless you have a friend who's a service adviser etc.
2) First off you made a grammatical error, you should have wrote "If yes..." and the answer to the question is again generally a YES. Unless you want to take the chance etc.
3) I know with the Jb4, they cannot trace it once you delete the codes and take it out. But I heard with COBB or any flash tune, they can see the higher boost levels you have been running "i think by checking the black box" and that will mean you had a tune of some sort which would void warranty. But the dealer can't and won't check your black box, unless there is a major problem with the car. Then they send out someone from corporate that comes and checks the black box. This is if you need a new engine or want to lemon the car, something like that has to happen for it, which is rare.
4) That is up to you and how much power you want. The more mods, the faster you can go. For example, a catless downpipe is a popular mod to get more power.
Jb4 stage 2, stage 1 was the first version. Now its stage 2 with the CAN wires.
No you can run stock with a tune. just make sure you use the correct settings.

I think this should cover everything. If anyone sees anything wrong or that they would like to add. Please do so. We are all here to learn.

Good luck OP
      11-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT14PimPin07 View Post
You need to search and read more. A lot of your questions are easy answers.
1) Generally the answer is YES! Unless you have a friend who's a service adviser etc.
2) First off you made a grammatical error, you should have wrote "If yes..." and the answer to the question is again generally a YES. Unless you want to take the chance etc.
3) I know with the Jb4, they cannot trace it once you delete the codes and take it out. But I heard with COBB or any flash tune, they can see the higher boost levels you have been running "i think by checking the black box" and that will mean you had a tune of some sort which would void warranty. But the dealer can't and won't check your black box, unless there is a major problem with the car. Then they send out someone from corporate that comes and checks the black box. This is if you need a new engine or want to lemon the car, something like that has to happen for it, which is rare.
4) That is up to you and how much power you want. The more mods, the faster you can go. For example, a catless downpipe is a popular mod to get more power.
Jb4 stage 2, stage 1 was the first version. Now its stage 2 with the CAN wires.
No you can run stock with a tune. just make sure you use the correct settings.

I think this should cover everything. If anyone sees anything wrong or that they would like to add. Please do so. We are all here to learn.

Good luck OP
Thank you very much for the answer, if the JB4 is untraceable when removed and delete the codes would you say it is safe to get the JB4 while still under warranty? Just delete the codes and remove it before going to the dealer and i should be alright or is it still sketchy to do that
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
BJJTune
Faixa Roxa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i JB4 G5

Yes it will definitely void your warranty if it's left in the car and they see it. I definitely recommend the current jb4 g5.. just run it on map 1 or maaybe map 5 (the auto tuning map)

Awaiting Install: HPF "Gen 2" Exhaust, BMS Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJTune View Post
Yes it will definitely void your warranty if it's left in the car and they see it. I definitely recommend the current jb4 g5.. just run it on map 1 or maaybe map 5 (the auto tuning map)
Would anyone say it is safe to get a tune while still under warranty, the added hp is really attractive but definatley not worth loosing warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
Thank you very much for the answer, if the JB4 is untraceable when removed and delete the codes would you say it is safe to get the JB4 while still under warranty? Just delete the codes and remove it before going to the dealer and i should be alright or is it still sketchy to do that
Well, I would say it is safe, it's what I do. But there is the saying "you gotta pay to play". So there is of course, a risk! But it's a risk you gotta be willing to take.
      11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm im going to have to think about this one
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
BJJTune
Faixa Roxa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i JB4 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
Hmm im going to have to think about this one
I have had the JB4 installed now for almost 6 months with zero problems, I have a few more mods than you but find myself using map 1 or map 5.. the difference in power is pretty awesome. If you get some downpipes I would suggest map 2.

Even if a few small problems arise like a misfire or something the solutions are pretty easy- not something id take it to the dealer for. Id keep that warranty for something major if it should come up and just make sure its bone stock when it goes in.

Awaiting Install: HPF "Gen 2" Exhaust, BMS Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you, i'm not going t rush to get this but im sure ill end up with it in the future
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
marc@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2010 e92 335i

You won;t last that long. We all felt your way when we first got our cars and we all gave up and made tons of power. One mod leads to the other etc...

There is always a risk when you tune. Usually, if you play it safe then you should have no issues.

if you don;t want to deal with the mess of having to go under the hood to unhook the tune (which in my opinion is not a mess once you do it once or twice) then go with COBB. it's literally plug and play from the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc@x-ph.com View Post
You won;t last that long. We all felt your way when we first got our cars and we all gave up and made tons of power. One mod leads to the other etc...

There is always a risk when you tune. Usually, if you play it safe then you should have no issues.

if you don;t want to deal with the mess of having to go under the hood to unhook the tune (which in my opinion is not a mess once you do it once or twice) then go with COBB. it's literally plug and play from the driver's seat.
Im looking to pick up a used tune when i do to save some money, I heard its almost as exspensive as buying a new cobb when trying to buy it used because of it being married to the last car. Thats why i was leaning towards JB4 because it is just plug and play plus the steering wheel controls are pretty awsome.
Appreciate 0