Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > All Season Dilemma (Reasonable expert advice needed)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
machine
is also an E46 Fanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

All Season Dilemma (Reasonable expert advice needed)

Currently I have the factory summer Bridgestone Potenza on style 197 18's.

I love the grip, handling and ride of these tires, but HATE the fact that they are so fragile with the entire bubbling issue.

I was thinking of putting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on the car as we are expecting some snow in the area. Generally speaking Vancouver gets a LOT of rain, little snow... maybe a few weeks out of the entire year.

Do you guys think I would be sacrificing on summer performance dramatically if I get the all seasons? Would the ride be worse?

There is a pop-up on tirerack when I select these tires that says:

"The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable."

Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

if you are planning to go to the race track in the summer DONT get all seasons.... if you jst drive around town then i think all seasons will do ok in both summer and winter in vancouver. although you should be careful when driving on all seasons in icy conditions.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
jayhudson
Ex-CCA racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

I just went thru this decision process too. We probably get less snow than you but our winters are similar. Also, I don't have to drive my Bimmer if it snows. I decided I didn't want to take the performance hit and I hate mushy tires. I decided to stay with a summer performance tire. No issues with cold weather to date. They don't seem to be bothered by driving in cold rain or dry streets down to 28 degrees.

One thing I noticed about the MPS A/S + tires is that they have a narrower tread than a comparable sized tire. Narrower than their Bridgestone competition RE960AS too.

My choice was the Bridgestone RE760 Sport.

Before = Bridgestone RE050 RFT 225/45-17, 255/40-17

After = Bridgestone RE760 Sport 235/40-18, 265/35-18

Jay
      12-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

If you do decide to go the AS route I suggest the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Check out my review here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ontinental+dws

I absolutely love them and would recommend them to anybody who just needs a good daily driver. I wouldn't plan on taking them to the track, however, unless you're just looking for some fun and aren't too worried about times.
      12-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

I went through the same process as well and read alot of the reviews on here and the tire rack. I had the Bridgestone Turanza rft. They cornor well but ride very hard and you feel every bump and crack. I live in Missouri where we get everything form rain ice
and snow. So I went with the Michlens Primacy for the quiet, comfort and traction. These tires are great smooth and quiet. I don't think I gave up much performance for these tires because they handle well for me. I did look at the Michlen Sport and the tire dealer told me that these tires are good but if I was looking for comfort to stay with the primacy and I did and I don't regret it either. I had the Conti's on a 07 Altima and I didn't like them. Just my opinion. I don't think you will go wrong with either Michlen Good luck. One thing for sure I will never go back to a RFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I just got a set of 225/45/R17 michelin pilot sport plus A/S tires installed on friday, then drove to maryland in a snow storm. Good tires so far, and they're actually not too bad in the snow either. I had originally wanted the DWS's, becuase of their advertised fuel economy gains and lower price, but nobody had them in stock near me, so I went with the michelins. Price wasn't too bad though, I paid $849 for a set of four mounted and balanced on the car.

Ride quality is better than runflats, and I saved four pounds per wheel in the front and 6 pounds per wheel in the back. I'm not sure if the difference is due to softer sidewalls or the 20 pounds of unsprung weight lost.

It has been cold and icy since I got the tires, so I haven't pushed the tires much, but the couple of times I have, they seem to be just as good as the RE050's.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

The Pilot Sport A/S should be almost as good as Pilot Alpin in the snow. But I wouldn't drive to Whistler on them. And I wouldn't take it to the track either.

If you plan to keep the car for a few years, consider investing the money in a second set of wheels and tires. That way you can put Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (great summer tires) in the summer and use Pilot A/S or one of the performance snow tires in the winter. If cost a bit of $$ now, but not much in the long run since both set last longer only being used part of the year. And if you buy another 3 series, chances are one or both sets will fit that car too (the winter rims on my 08 335i came off my 04 330i).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

I had Falkens 452 on my max untill they were bald and installed the michelins a/s plus after...see no diff and i drive more than spirited most of the time, the falkens went mad quick cuz they have lesser thread....pilot a/s plus ftw they are rated the number 1 tire in their category....im in the same boat as you im trying to decide should i throw on all seasons on my next set of rims or throw summers and keep em just for summer...i really cant compare the michelins to potenza's cuz i never drove em but the michelins are solid...
      12-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
machine
is also an E46 Fanatic
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the well informed advice guys!

Reading what you had to say plus tire rack articles I think it would be a safe bet to go with the Michelin a/s +.

In regards to the ride quality and this pop-up that comes on the tirerack website do you think the ride would be worse then the Bridgestone RFT's?

"The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable."
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine View Post

Reading what you had to say plus tire rack articles I think it would be a safe bet to go with the Michelin a/s +.

In regards to the ride quality and this pop-up that comes on the tirerack website do you think the ride would be worse then the Bridgestone RFT's?

I doubt you can FIND a tire that rides any more harshly than the OEM Bridgestone run-flats!

On my '08 sedan, I've got 3 OK Bridgestones and one that will need replacing soon. I'll probably go ahead and buy one more runflat, but when the whole set needs replacing, it's going to be the Michelin PS A/S for sure. I would put on Pilot Sports, but I'm tired of having to turn around and go home at the first sign of frost.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #11
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Im running toyo proxes 4 for my summers, UHP/AS in 235/35 and 265/30 rears on style 230 19's. I love em for summer performance even. I need the A/S though so I can run them in the shoulder months too. They got through 5-6" of snow no problem, but compared to my Blizzaks its no comparison in winter.

IMO, a good AS tire is fine in the summer if your not tracking it ever. Maybe the 1/4 but I wouldnt auto x it. That being said, I plan on tracking mine at Mfest IV, lol, but thats only 1 time and I probably wont do it again
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
If you do decide to go the AS route I suggest the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Check out my review here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ontinental+dws

I absolutely love them and would recommend them to anybody who just needs a good daily driver. I wouldn't plan on taking them to the track, however, unless you're just looking for some fun and aren't too worried about times.
+1 on Contis...he's got a good review, but I've got better pictures...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335918
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I wish those Conti's were available in 19 inch sizes. I would be on them in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
newbimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Silver 328xi 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine View Post

I just put on the Pilot Sport A/S + on my stock 17's. HUGE improvement over the OEM RFTs as far as ride comfort. Not sure about any tracking.

byebye '03 Audi A4 1.8t
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
machine
is also an E46 Fanatic
Canada
Rep

Where did you guys buy your tires from and get installed? (18's)

What was the total price paid?

Front: 225/40ZR18
Rear: 255/35ZR18
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
richmalk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

I have used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the new Goodyear F1 A/S on several cars.

I can guarantee you that both will ride softer than the RFTs. The Tire Rack popup is just some self protective honesty (unlike BMW's when it comes to the issues with RFTs). The effect of a heavier load range is trivial compared to ditching the RFTs.

By the way, I have found the new Goodyears superior to the Michelins. They handle sharper (steering response), are stickier in the cold and ice, and seem to wear better than the Michelins. Also, note the Goodyear rebate effective through Feb 28- $80/4 via Tire Rack, and if you go to a local dealer and get a Goodyear credit card, the rebate is a nice $160. I got that card for my last purchase for another car and it's harmless.

As far as wear, I agree that the A/S tires will go south very quickly at the track, much more than their wear rating might indicate. But their over 400 rating seems pretty accurate for street driving.

Make sure not to confuse the Goodyear GT with the F1 A/S- not nearly as performance oriented.

I am getting a set of F1 A/S's in a few weeks for my 335xi- just got my new compact spare!
Appreciate 0