E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Sirius Radio (official instructions)

10-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #45
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Has anyone confirmed whether or not the programming is definitely required on newer vehicles that are sat prepped?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #46
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
I just bought a 2011 335d with sat prep.

I wanted sat so they told me that all the car required is a software code. Price is around $400.
      10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #47
Brandons330xi
Rep
Drives: White 330XI

xm radio

did anyone have problems doing this far as disconnecting the most box and changing the wires around?
I want to do it but i need some new fire to fill to see how hard it was to do the installation of the module seems easy but i am just concerned with the cable portion of it ...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #48
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandons330xi View Post
did anyone have problems doing this far as disconnecting the most box and changing the wires around?
I want to do it but i need some new fire to fill to see how hard it was to do the installation of the module seems easy but i am just concerned with the cable portion of it ...
It looks like the MOST wire changes are pretty simple and straight forward. If your car is supposed to be pre-wired, Start removing trunk panels and see if you can locate the wire before ordering parts or doing anything else.

Otherwise you will need to find an option that works best for you for mounting.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
SEE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i sedan monaco blue

I just installed the module on my '08 E90 sedan and moved the MOST cables around. It was a PITA to get the cover off the MOST boxes. I used a small screw driver but made a mess of the plastic getting them off. Anyway, hooked everything up and the Satellite option showed up on my radio. Called Sirius as the Headunit instructed, gave them my ESN and in about 15 minutes everything worked without coding. Is this it? Or am I going to run into problems later because I didn't code it?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #50
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
Rep
Drives: E90 + E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by euge1978 View Post
I just installed the module on my '08 E90 sedan and moved the MOST cables around. It was a PITA to get the cover off the MOST boxes. I used a small screw driver but made a mess of the plastic getting them off. Anyway, hooked everything up and the Satellite option showed up on my radio. Called Sirius as the Headunit instructed, gave them my ESN and in about 15 minutes everything worked without coding. Is this it? Or am I going to run into problems later because I didn't code it?
Does SOS still work? Better to check the VO and make sure it shows sat radio.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #51
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirelli
Quote:
Does SOS still work? Better to check the VO and make sure it shows sat radio.
Yep. I pressed the button and connected with them. Initially I moved the wrong fiber cables and got an SOS error. My Sat cables were in position 3 instead of 4. There was nothing in pos. 4, just 2 and 3.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #52
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
Rep
Drives: E90 + E92

Quote:
Yep. I pressed the button and connected with them. Initially I moved the wrong fiber cables and got an SOS error. My Sat cables were in position 3 instead of 4. There was nothing in pos. 4, just 2 and 3.
I guess if everything works, you got lucky. Your car might have had the sat radio option already programmed or the previous owner might have removed the box.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #53
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
if you look at mi picture bellow there is four optical cables in the bottom already, and on the top connector there is no cable on pin 4, this is confusing. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC

Last edited by Fedie; 02-23-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #54
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedie
if you look at mi picture bellow there is four optical cables in the bottom already, and on the top connector there is no cable on pin 4, this is confusing. Any thoughts?

When I did mine, that Sat cables were in position 3 on the top block and the CD Changer apparently is in position 2. From there I moved the cables like the instructions say. Upper side Sat cable on top block goes to position 1 on upper side of lower block and lower side sat cable on top block goes to position 2 on lower block.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #55
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by euge1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedie

When I did mine, that Sat cables were in position 3 on the top block and the CD Changer apparently is in position 2. From there I moved the cables like the instructions say. Upper side Sat cable on top block goes to position 1 on upper side of lower block and lower side sat cable on top block goes to position 2 on lower block.
Il try it out
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #56
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Success!! you are correct. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #57
mbergman
Private
Rep
Drives: 328ix

Wagon

Does anyone know where the satellite receiver mouts in the 328iX wagon? I found what I believe is the BMW assist unit in the drivers side, left, quarter panel area, but I'm not finding the satellite cables.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #58
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Anyone else have success by just moving the most cables? I have sat pre wired but want to know if I need to go to the dealer. Also, the instructions say to disconnect the battery, did everyone do that? And if so, doesn't this cause other problems?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #59
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
Anyone else have success by just moving the most cables? I have sat pre wired but want to know if I need to go to the dealer. Also, the instructions say to disconnect the battery, did everyone do that? And if so, doesn't this cause other problems?
Nothing?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #60
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells
I disconnected the battery with no issues but others moved the cables without disconnecting. Not sure where you mount it in your car. Maybe you need the trim panel? I still have had no issues with the radio since installing and did not have to go to the dealer to code it in.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #61
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I disconnected the battery with no issues but others moved the cables without disconnecting. Not sure where you mount it in your car. Maybe you need the trim panel? I still have had no issues with the radio since installing and did not have to go to the dealer to code it in.
I have a prewired Pre LCI 2008 335, so the mount is in the trunk. All of the correct wires are there.

I do not have fold down rear seats, so I believe that the access to the most junction is going to be in the driver side rear panel. What is the trim piece that you are referring to? Can you explain why I would need this?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #62
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells
Quote:
I have a prewired Pre LCI 2008 335, so the mount is in the trunk. All of the correct wires are there.

I do not have fold down rear seats, so I believe that the access to the most junction is going to be in the driver side rear panel. What is the trim piece that you are referring to? Can you explain why I would need this?
Disregard the trim panel. I accidentally looked at the post above your first one and he has a wagon.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #63
ebmiller88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

I just finished my install and viola...it works and I haven't been to the dealer or done any coding. Background: '08 328i Premium/Sport package with Sat prep. I got a used receiver from Ebay and bought an install kit through Tischer. Disconnected the battery, moved the optic cables as instructed and connected the box in the trunk, reconnected the battery and it works. My head unit's display does say "Call to activate" but I can scroll through all channels as of now. So depending on your car and if you have Sat prep or not, maybe you don't need the VO changed or the Sat unit coded. I'll follow up on this later.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #64
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmiller88 View Post
I just finished my install and viola...it works and I haven't been to the dealer or done any coding. Background: '08 328i Premium/Sport package with Sat prep. I got a used receiver from Ebay and bought an install kit through Tischer. Disconnected the battery, moved the optic cables as instructed and connected the box in the trunk, reconnected the battery and it works. My head unit's display does say "Call to activate" but I can scroll through all channels as of now. So depending on your car and if you have Sat prep or not, maybe you don't need the VO changed or the Sat unit coded. I'll follow up on this later.

Ed
the other persons account may still be linked to it. At some point i would expect it to only give you the preview channel but for now enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #65
ebmiller88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

I had the radio in my possession for over a year prior to installing it so I can't say for sure if I did or did not have a current service contract on it, but on Monday I no longer had service. Maybe the box was on for a while once I hooked it up pending activation, IDK. I called Sirius and got it activated Monday prior to my maintenance service today and it works fine, no additional coding needed. So it seems that maybe a Sat prepped car needs no coding? I know for a fact that mine did not have a Sat radio in it before I put this one in so for you guys on the fence about it, try it and see if it works.

One thing to note on the install. BE CAREFUL on moving the optic cables. The installation instructions are very good, but the MOST blocks are installed upside down in the car. IE, I had to rotate the MOST blocks up in order for the cable slots to read "1 2 3 4 5" in the correct order as shown in the guide. As installed in the car, moving the cables as you are looking at them will be inverted and therefore wrong. I removed the whole black plastic mount that routes the optic cables for easier movement, labeled each cable removed and took pics with my phone just in case. All in all, about an hour taking my time.

Good luck!

Ed
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #66
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I wish there were instructions for taking the MOST box apart. I figured out how to get the boxes apart from each other but how in the world to you get the "cover" off of them?
Appreciate 0