E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Change @ 7500 miles- How Will CBS React?

01-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #23
twofast2s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Cool.thanks!. But once the cbs counts down to zero, wouldn't it send off a reminder sign until I get it reset? Which could potentially be til end of this year?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #24
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofast2s View Post
Cool.thanks!. But once the cbs counts down to zero, wouldn't it send off a reminder sign until I get it reset? Which could potentially be til end of this year?
Since your covered maintenance has expired, one would think it wouldn't. But if not and your dealer contacts you, simply tell them to ignore it. All they would do is ask you to make a service appointment for the oil change. And as long as you don't mind seeing the message at startup, it's no big deal.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
Auto Pilot
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG CR 335xi e92, M-Sport

I do my own oil changes at a friend's shop in between the dealer's annual low mileage oil change. Everytime I do an oil change the due date for the next oil service automatically moves ahead one year, can't remember if the mileage resets on its own but I'm certain about the date.

This has actually thrown off my dealership when I bring the car in for its annual oil service because the car is showing a date one year away. For example, my car normally has an annual cycle that falls on September. It should show September 2012 and it did show September 2012 after the dealership completed an oil change in September of 2011. When I completed one myself mid-year the date moved forward to September of 2013.

Somehow the CBS knows that an oil change has been done and automatically moves the date forward.

Has anyone else come across this and is there a way to prevent the date from moving forward automatically when doing your own oil changes in between the dealer oil change?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
abcde
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Pilot View Post
I do my own oil changes at a friend's shop in between the dealer's annual low mileage oil change. Everytime I do an oil change the due date for the next oil service automatically moves ahead one year, can't remember if the mileage resets on its own but I'm certain about the date.

This has actually thrown off my dealership when I bring the car in for its annual oil service because the car is showing a date one year away. For example, my car normally has an annual cycle that falls on September. It should show September 2012 and it did show September 2012 after the dealership completed an oil change in September of 2011. When I completed one myself mid-year the date moved forward to September of 2013.

Somehow the CBS knows that an oil change has been done and automatically moves the date forward.

Has anyone else come across this and is there a way to prevent the date from moving forward automatically when doing your own oil changes in between the dealer oil change?
This just happened to me where my car's date suddenly moved forward a year to 7/2013, but I haven't even gotten an oil change or touched anything yet. I was getting the notice starting in 7/2012 but have delayed it since I've put very few miles on my car (although it's been a year since I got it in 7/2011). I've scheduled an appointment for next week though so I'll update here when I know more.

Update: Took it in for annual oil change and they didn't reset any of the CBS information. It said 7/2013 when I took it in. They changed the oil and filter. It still says 7/2013 when I drove off after the oil change. I doubt I'll ever hit the CBS miles interval since I drive my car infrequently. I'm guessing after a certain time (maybe 2-3 months past the time interval it will just move to the following year?

Last edited by abcde; 10-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
Auto Pilot
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG CR 335xi e92, M-Sport

Quote:

Update: With the dealer oil change completed in September 2012, it currently reads September 2014. Will be doing my own oil change soon, expect that it will read September 2015 after, which means the CBS does in fact know that an oil change has been completed.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
fdawg4l
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Update: With the dealer oil change completed in September 2012, it currently reads September 2014. Will be doing my own oil change soon, expect that it will read September 2015 after, which means the CBS does in fact know that an oil change has been completed.
I changed my oil with the OEM stuff (10w30?) from Turner at the 7000mile mark and noticed the mileage for the next oil change didn't move until 5000miles later. CBS says I don't need another oil change for 9000 miles or 1 year from now when it should be 3000miles. I'm going to have to change the oil on my dime again and hopefully, eventually, the warranty will cover the next.

There was an article in Roundel about the CBS oil sensor last year and how it's better than a dip stick because it uses the capacitance of the oil to calculate carbon content. This makes sense intuitively, but I'm sticking to my mid-mileage oil-change routine. In this case, however, CBS is making life a bit more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #29
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

I have the dealer do my oil every 8-9K miles. They only reset the CBS every-other change. The new oil does not seem to impact the "time until next oil change" CBS thingy.
Appreciate 0