E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Limp Limp Limp

01-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #23
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shih View Post
I really think that procede is causing the problem, not the wiring issues. I checked the wires twice and still getting limp mode. (TQ setting 90%)

Now, I am running TQ 80%, and the boost goes even higher than before but no more limp mode.
Another memeber Hokie335i has the same issues...low torque % but high boost levels!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #24
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Another memeber Hokie335i has the same issues...low torque % but high boost levels!
SAME issue here. Lowered settings to 88% and boost went UP to 15.4psi. Need some input from Shiv/Dustin. I have gotten one response from Dustin but waiting for more guidance. Until then, I'm not going over 3500 rpm as this boost only happens b/w 4500-5300 rpms.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #25
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Just take the PROcede out..! Damn Dude I wouldn't be driving around having it induce "limp mode" on your $40k car...! Let your engine and ECU stabilize and get your engine running correctly before you cause more harm.

Then, in about a week, re-install PROcede to make sure it not your car... if you get "limp mode" again, and Shiv hasn't figured it out by then, sell it back! There are plenty of aftermarket tunes for the 335 that don't give limp modes...!
I'm thinking this as well. I will give it a chance to be resolved and drive granny-style for now as I dont get limp. Mine only happens b/w 4500-5300 rpm with boost of 15.3-15.4 psi. I think I will remove next week when I have time and wait for more input from the Vishnu team.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #26
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_E93 View Post
I'm thinking this as well. I will give it a chance to be resolved and drive granny-style for now as I dont get limp. Mine only happens b/w 4500-5300 rpm with boost of 15.3-15.4 psi. I think I will remove next week when I have time and wait for more input from the Vishnu team.
Sad thing is, this is EXACTLY what Eugene was argueing about with Shiv a while back and the main reason he removed his PROcede and put it up for sale. Shiv didn't think uncontrolled spikes in boost was a problem, Eugene argued otherwise..

Looks like there might be alot of used PROcede on the market soon...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #27
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Sad thing is, this is EXACTLY what Eugene was argueing about with Shiv a while back and the main reason he removed his PROcede and put it up for sale. Shiv didn't think uncontrolled spikes in boost was a problem, Eugene argued otherwise..

Actually, stock can spike about 1 PSI over what it settles to; better remove the DME until BMW gets it right.

A Spike to 15 PSI for 0.25 seconds and settling to 13 PSI is not an issue. All tunes do this it is just that none of the others offer the data logging to make it visible. A problematic spike would be one where it shoots to 18+ PSI; this is not the case here. In fact, I have never seen a altered turbe vehicle that did not have some sort of spike; including some runing MBC's only.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #28
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Actually, stock can spike about 1 PSI over what it settles to; better remove the DME until BMW gets it right.

A Spike to 15 PSI for 0.25 seconds and settling to 13 PSI is not an issue. All tunes do this it is just that none of the others offer the data logging to make it visible. A problematic spike would be one where it shoots to 18+ PSI; this is not the case here. In fact, I have never seen a altered turbe vehicle that did not have some sort of spike; including some runing MBC's only.
You may be right about this "spike" but AGAIN, LOOK at my post here: #15
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108812. That is NOT a "spike" in my book.

Those "spikes" are a helluva lot longer than .25 seconds and in total between 41-47 seconds it accounts for about 1-1.25 sec where my boost os over 15!! AND,...it never settles to 13psi as you describe!

I'm getting a bit frustrated now and will post MULTIPLE graphs later today showing this is NO SPIKE!! Even at 88% I have HIGHER BOOST!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #29
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You may be right about this "spike" but AGAIN, LOOK at my post here: #15
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108812. That is NOT a "spike" in my book.

Those "spikes" are a helluva lot longer than .25 seconds and in total between 41-47 seconds it accounts for about 1-1.25 sec where my boost os over 15!! AND,...it never settles to 13psi as you describe!

I'm getting a bit frustrated now and will post MULTIPLE graphs later today showing this is NO SPIKE!! Even at 88% I have HIGHER BOOST!
There is no indication of a spike so why was it brought up three posts up.

Looking at the plot you posted, you seem to open the throttle at about 43 seconds. Boost went close to 15 PSI and held and then tampered to about 13 PSI by 7000 RPM. This may be higher than others but not unheard of. This could be remedied by lowering the user values. You obviously lifted off of the throttle at 7k revs and boost climbed due to the throttle closing (vacuum in the manifold). That post throttle boost climb is normal.

What isn't normal is the sustained boost after that which does not involve the PROcede if the throttle was closed. What was the throttle position after hitting 7k revs? To me, it looks like your diverter valves didn't open but I need to know the throttle position to assess further.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #30
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There is no indication of a spike so why was it brought up three posts up.

Looking at the plot you posted, you seem to open the throttle at about 43 seconds. Boost went close to 15 PSI and held and then tampered to about 13 PSI by 7000 RPM. This may be higher than others but not unheard of. This could be remedied by lowering the user values. You obviously lifted off of the throttle at 7k revs and boost climbed due to the throttle closing (vacuum in the manifold). That post throttle boost climb is normal.

What isn't normal is the sustained boost after that which does not involve the PROcede if the throttle was closed. What was the throttle position after hitting 7k revs? To me, it looks like your diverter valves didn't open but I need to know the throttle position to assess further.
at redline (7000rpm) I heard a rattling sound and car hesitated and I got concerned and let off gas at that moment. Hard to know if it was at point car shifted to higher gear or when at redline. I think this all occurred simultaneously...i.e., car shifted to next gear as I let foot off gas.

BTW this was not CLOSE TO 15psi. It was 15.3 psi and wobbled a bit below (13.5-14.7) and back up to that peak at least 2 other times in that data log by my estimation. But the small peaks ARE at 15.3 psi for sure
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #31
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
at redline (7000rpm) I heard a rattling sound and car hesitated and I got concerned and let off gas at that moment. Hard to know if it was at point car shifted to higher gear or when at redline. I think this all occurred simultaneously...i.e., car shifted to next gear as I let foot off gas.

BTW this was not CLOSE TO 15psi. It was 15.3 psi and wobbled a bit below (13.5-14.7) and back up to that peak at least 2 other times in that data log by my estimation. But the small peaks ARE at 15.3 psi for sure
But was the throttle closed after the 7k revs peak? It looks like a shift occured but what were you doing with the throttle?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

2007_E93, I returned your PM from last night, with a few things I wanted you to look at.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #33
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Why would that make you clap?

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #34
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post

Cause his Generation is better than that....

(you have to learn to ignore him, he doesn't contribute anything)
      01-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #35
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu View Post
2007_E93, I returned your PM from last night, with a few things I wanted you to look at.
[/QUOTE]But was the throttle closed after the 7k revs peak? It looks like a shift occured but what were you doing with the throttle?[/QUOTE]

Dustin,..Thanks PM sent back,..will try that and let you know.

Throttle was WOT at redline then let off as car shifted and rattled. All happened pretty much at same instant as I got paranoid about the sound/feel of car when this rattle occurred I let off gas.

Thanks for everyones input so far,...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #36
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Throttle was WOT at redline then let off as car shifted and rattled. All happened pretty much at same instant as I got paranoid about the sound/feel of car when this rattle occurred I let off gas.
Hrmm, that is interesting then. If the throttle were closed, the car shifted and the revs dropped, boost should have dropped too with a quick spike on the throttle close. But according to your plot the boost held for about a second. The PROcede could not caused this if the throttle was closed. IMO, that would indicate the diverter valves did not open and it took a moment for the compressor surge to finalize.

But to avoid any confusion, I would recheck all connection just to be sure all is fine.

In addition, I would drop the user values down some just to play it conservative for the time and to see if the sound reoccurs. I would also re-log to see if that throttle lift sustained boost is measured again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #37
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hrmm, that is interesting then. If the throttle were closed, the car shifted and the revs dropped, boost should have dropped too with a quick spike on the throttle close. But according to your plot the boost held for about a second. The PROcede could not caused this if the throttle was closed. IMO, that would indicate the diverter valves did not open and it took a moment for the compressor surge to finalize.

But to avoid any confusion, I would recheck all connection just to be sure all is fine.

In addition, I would drop the user values down some just to play it conservative for the time and to see if the sound reoccurs. I would also re-log to see if that throttle lift sustained boost is measured again.
similar to what Dustin said. I initially tried drop to 88% but my boost went up to 15.4 psi. So I haven't done more until Vishnu Team input. All my connections are right man. I tested with bypass plugs and everything and I'm VERY ANAL about these things. Trust me they are fine. NO codes thrown, YET to indicate any problems with connections.

Will post later today about results.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #38
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Here is another thread convincing me to not get proceed and maybe not get any other tune as well.

But the sheer numbers of proceed issues is getting pretty rediculous though.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #39
Shih
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

forgot my earlier post that I no long have limp mode with 80% TQ setting.

My car limp crazy again today. was fine last night.

my car sometimes hold the boost at 15.3. (I accidentally delete the log file. Not sure the rpm range) I usually get limp mode around 5k rpm. Any comment?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #40
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shih View Post
forgot my earlier post that I no long have limp mode with 80% TQ setting.

My car limp crazy again today. was fine last night.

my car sometimes hold the boost at 15.3. (I accidentally delete the log file. Not sure the rpm range) I usually get limp mode around 5k rpm. Any comment?
Dude, your silly if you keep the PROcede in your car. You have to let your engine normalize, so remove the PROcede for about a week and let the engines ECU sort it out. You have no idea what (if any) kind of dmg is being done to your engine.

After you drive it about a week without the PROcede, then re-install it and see if your getting issues or if Shiv has nailed down the issue. Regardless of what TQ setting you have, the product is NOT working so keeping it in your car is flirting with disaster.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #41
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post

That "clap" is saying ..."Good job Shiv". It's called sarcasm! This is the exact same problem that Eugene brought up in his flame thread with Shiv a little while back. Now other are catching on about the uncontrolled ancillary boost problem.

If you never read those threads, then you wouldn't get the humor involved with people dumping their PROcede's. Yeah it was antagonistic, but exactly what was suggested to Shiv. That he slows up his progression and back tracks a little to make sure his tune is rock solid before adding features or more maps.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #42
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Here is another thread convincing me to not get proceed and maybe not get any other tune as well.

But the sheer numbers of proceed issues is getting pretty rediculous though.
A properly installed, tested, and adapted PROcede with good gas in the tank will not throw a limp mode.

The OP is obviously an intelligent person because they had V1.47 installed for a while with no issues. The OP needs to remove the PROcede entirely and take the car back to stock. Then reinstall, triple checking wiring, ground, and power connections, test with bypass plugs, then test exactly per the install instructions. Make sure the battery is disconnected. He must not skip any sections even if they seem redundant. Nearly every V2 install issue is caused by a loose ground, loose intercept connection, failure to test with bypass plugs, failure to disconnect the battery during install, failure to test exactly per the instructions, and other user-caused issues. It's incredibly easy to accidentally disconnect one of the intercept splices. And you can't tell if they're connected securely by feeling them through the tape. You have to remove all the tape and retape.

Reading the forum for a while about other's problems helps too. Reading the forum would eliminate the posts of people complaining "oh no! my car is boosting 14.8 PSI with 90% torque settings!!" because they would know that every car is different and reacts differently to the piggyback. Some cars boost high and some boost low. That's it. There's nothing wrong. That's why the user torque settings are there, to allow the user to customize the tune to maximize power output.

Your comment and those from Garrett contribute exactly ZERO to this thread and the forum. You guys who get off by hiijacking threads with the sole purpose of bashing a product or company you don't like should be banned.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #43
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu View Post
datalogs and jpegs sent to your email. thanks for your help. I think it may be resolved...Let me know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #44
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
datalogs and jpegs sent to your email. thanks for your help. I think it may be resolved...Let me know what you think.
Please share if/when you can.
Appreciate 0