E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Groaning / creaking at biting point in 1st

10-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Isakdan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Groaning / creaking at biting point in 1st

Hi all, seem to be getting a few issues from my once trouble free 320D.

On the weekend it has developed what I can only describe as a dry groaning, creaky sound when setting off in first, doesn't happen all the time, maybe every other time setting off. Any ideas on what this could be?

Two things I don't know if worth mentioning but might as well, the handbrake seems to be getting progressively worse and doesn't always first time, so have been leaving in gear when parked on a gradient.
Secondly and this may be completely separate but I took the car for a service the weekend before last and by Friday last week the car had conveniently rid itself of most of its oil, turned out they nicked the oil filter during the oil change causing the leak. Took it back for them to rectify on the weekend but I can't help but think the car was running decent before taking it to them, a quick check of the engine showed they hadn't even been bothered enough to screw the cap for the oil on properly after fixing their mistake.

Anyways, back to the creaking, any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Geesh_46
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Maybe clutch release bearing? My old 330d did this when I was pulling off but not during normal driving
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:39 AM   #3
Isakdan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesh_46
Maybe clutch release bearing? My old 330d did this when I was pulling off but not during normal driving
For some reason mine is often, doesn't seem to get better even after long journeys.
Was it a big fix?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #4
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isakdan View Post
For some reason mine is often, doesn't seem to get better even after long journeys.
Was it a big fix?
I also own a golf with the same symptoms, although it has been the same now for about 4 years, I just havnt got round to doing it as it needs a clutch and flywheel anyway..

If anything now I think of it, I havnt heard the clutch release / throwout bearing make a noise for a while now, at one point a couple of years ago it was very loud.

If this is what your issue is, its a clutch/gearbox out job to replace, so you may be better off getting a clutch kit and doing the clutch at same time whilst its off the car, this will include the bearing anyway
Appreciate 0