E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Aftermarket roundels in hot/humid/sunny areas - yellowing & deterioration.

07-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Aftermarket roundels in hot/humid/sunny areas - yellowing & deterioration.

I picked up a pair of black and white roundels back on March 9th from a vendor that isn't crazy popular but still gets mentioned here from time to time. They arrived in a timely manner and looked great, went on without issue and all was well.

However, I'm in the good old Sunshine State and it seems whoever manufactures these particular roundels used some shoddy materials because they've turned to absolute garbage in less than 90 days, 120 max but I'm pretty sure I took a few weeks to get them on after they were delivered.

They are now a funky yellow/off-white color and the coating on the roundel itself seems to be deteriorating in a manner similar to how the inside passenger door pulls coatings do. Unfortunately the car is not garaged so its currently at the whim of the elements but that equates to nothing more than water and sun in central FL so something just isn't right with these materials.

Either way, long story short - I need to buy new ones and I'm looking for advice on a vendor or even an ebay or amazon listing that has a proven track record of lasting more than a few weeks.

I've emailed the vendors customer support email regarding the issue but have not heard back. It's only been 4 days so I'm giving them a couple more as a gesture of good faith before I put the name out there in a negative light.

Here's a couple shots showing the discoloration and the deterioration. The trunk roundel doesn't get near as much direct sunlight so it's not as bad but its definitely on its way to the same fate as the hood roundel.

I put it with a taped piece of white printing paper for reference (color/gloss) - just ignore the paint chip(s) and dirty hood mmmkay?

We've, uhh... had a series of storms roll through over the last week.

View post on imgur.com

Annnnnd this is how it's supposed to look according to the image on their website. While it may have on day 1 - it stopped looking anywhere near that after at minimum, 90 days. Also ignore the random hack photoshop job I did to their watermark - still trying to play it somewhat nice and not put their name out but it wouldn't be hard to figure out for most.

View post on imgur.com
      07-03-2016, 03:13 AM   #2
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2007

get the ones from jbspeed they seem to hold up well
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 03:43 AM   #3
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
was just looking at some all black roundels
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
tdavis42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Pretty sure you need UV protection in the top coat to prevent this from happening. There is a reason these are priced all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post
get the ones from jbspeed they seem to hold up well
Just did exactly this - can't believe I missed that he had them when grabbing my painted sidemarkers! Thanks for the reminder/recommendation - I have a story to tell about the customer service but I'll save it for when they show up and I've got a good look at them but it's a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
was just looking at some all black roundels
Highly second the above recommendation to check out the options from JBSpeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis42 View Post
Pretty sure you need UV protection in the top coat to prevent this from happening. There is a reason these are priced all over the place.
Yeah, I probably should've realized the pricing on them was a bit low at the time but I'd never bought replacements so I wasn't sure. The set I just grabbed specifically say they wont yellow so I imagine they've got some type of protection. We shall see!
      07-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
http://m.ebay.com/itm/BMW-ALL-Whole-...241?nav=SEARCH

These
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
You'll be in the same boat I'm in within a few months in all likelihood.

Go with these from JBSPEED

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386905

He's been selling them for 6 years, is a trusted vendor and site sponsor - that thread has nearly 50 pages.. I'm sure if they were crap people wouldn't continue recommending them. The full set is very reasonably priced for 7 roundels (wheel center caps included as well as steering wheel sticker).
      07-03-2016, 11:38 PM   #8
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymix View Post
You'll be in the same boat I'm in within a few months in all likelihood.

Go with these from JBSPEED

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386905

He's been selling them for 6 years, is a trusted vendor and site sponsor - that thread has nearly 50 pages.. I'm sure if they were crap people wouldn't continue recommending them. The full set is very reasonably priced for 7 roundels (wheel center caps included as well as steering wheel sticker).
oh very cool didnt see he had all black, ordered
Appreciate 0