E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Should I trust the service?

02-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Should I trust the service?

My car went in Monday morning for a service and software update so it stayed in overnight. This evening I went to pick it up.

They were very hectic and looked understaffed.

After 20 mins was told that since the software update the battery warning could not be switched off and they needed to keep the car to do further checks as there now appears to be an issue with the battery.

Next I am told that the gear box needed replacing (37K miles) and was left standing to ponder the costs that could be involved. When i finally got wind back in my sail i told them about my extended warranty insurance. Very quickly after that I was told that it was a misunderstanding and only a fluid plug needed replacing on the gear box and that could be ordered and ready the next day.

call me paranoid... should I be worried at all or put it down to their miscommunication? I never saw a work sheet (job card) for the car.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

^ Go with your gut, RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Haha. From this day on i will run. Everyone I have spoken to has said dodgy.

Gut is saying run. BMW dealers
Don't have a reputation for this sort of this do they? Would have expected it more from maybe independents. Hopefully that statement will not start a storm in a teacup.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv57 View Post
Haha. From this day on i will run. Everyone I have spoken to has said dodgy.

Gut is saying run. BMW dealers
Don't have a reputation for this sort of this do they? Would have expected it more from maybe independents. Hopefully that statement will not start a storm in a teacup.
US dealers suck. In my experience they throw new parts in it without properly diagnosing the situation, they are double to triple the price of an independent and they generally don't care. I actually caught a dealer TRYING to charge me $600 in parts/labor when they didn't do the work and just replaced 2 clamps (they gave me a full refund).

A good independent is hard to find, but when you do, you stay loyal to them. A friend of mine had a belt squeal on his Toyota. He took it to an independent and was expecting to pay for various parts, instead the independent told him "Oh it was making noise because the belt was loose, I just tightened the belt, it's fixed now, $25!" This guy also fixes BMWs, if I had a problem that stumps me guess where I am going.

Storm in a teacup, lol
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 02-10-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
hard to find honest mechanics nowadays
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

i think dealerships have a bad name...and that not all dealerships or personnel at dealerships are trying to screw people...ive seem more shitty work from indy shops than anywhere else.
Appreciate 0