E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Leak under glove box -- What is this??

03-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
macmaverickk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
Leak under glove box -- What is this??

It rained hardcore the other day, and i noticed my windshield was foggy, I immediately knew it was a leak.

I finally traced it down to the passenger side, under the glove box. I took the covering off (to no surprise the insulation on it was soaked) and tried seeing where the water was coming from. I snapped a picture of where I saw water dripping slowly, but steadily (about 5 drips/min).

I have no idea what this part is, but you can see the water droplet coming from the bottom of a black, cylindrical piece with the green sealing. What exactly is this? And does anyone know how easy of a fix it is?

Thanks!!

Last edited by macmaverickk; 03-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling corrections
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

What color was the liquid ? Clear is water, might be some kind of leak in the upper cowl area of your car. Blue liquid is coolant..leak in the heater core, yours is definitely not blue. Or could be just excess condensation from the rain and running your defroster.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
macmaverickk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
The liquid is clear and odorless. The a/c is ran every single day, just like it has for the past year. So I don't know what made the leak begin out of the blue like this.

Although one this I forgot to mention... I washed my car today before noticing the leak act up... But I have no idea why that would cause water to come out of... whatever that thing is But this hasn't been the first time my car has been washed... or seen heavy rain for that matter.

Last edited by macmaverickk; 03-21-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So the cabin airfilter housing is installed in correctly and is allowing water to get into the HVAC system. The pictures you took are of the HVAC heater box where the blower motor is housed. The water is dripping out of the motor housing. Check the DIY section and learn how to properly seat the cabin airfilter housing.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
macmaverickk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
That sounds like a strong possibility. The cabin air filter WAS replaced about 3 weeks ago. I didn't realize it was possible to screw up something as easy as installing an air filter I will give it a look in the morning.

Thank you so much You saved me probably $100 by not consulting the stealership
      03-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasejennings View Post
That sounds like a strong possibility. The cabin air filter WAS replaced about 3 weeks ago. I didn't realize it was possible to screw up something as easy as installing an air filter I will give it a look in the morning.

Thank you so much You saved me probably $100 by not consulting the stealership
Once you take the filter housing off, you will see how it is supposed to seat properly. Set it in place then tighten the screws from the center of the housing outward to the outer screws so it seats over the cowling openings properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

that can also happen when the cowl itself doesnt sit properly on the windshield..or the seal which goes on the windshield has deteriorated..it allows water to get behind the microfilter area and thus down into the car.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #8
macmaverickk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
Late reply, I know, but I've come with the end to the mystery!

SO my windshield was replaced a few years ago by an inexpensive company. I did not have the chance to oversee the job, therefore I did not have the chance to watch the windshield tech completely leave out a very important piece during the installation. The lower windshield moulding (the piece that clips onto the entire bottom of the windshield, and then the cowl) was no where to be found. The absence of this simple, $8 part has caused the interior of my car to be flooded multiple times.

Word of advice: If you're going to not use an authorized company to save yourself a couple hundred... Go ahead and purchase the OEM moulding part online yourself (let them know you did) and stand there with them as they snap it onto the glass AND the cowl.