E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > eBay Index 12 injectors

12-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #23
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOS07335i View Post
That's a good article and even if you go with the S63 injector(13538616079kt ) https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13538616079kt it's still close to $800 DAM expensive.

Anyone have any luck trying to bring in there's to the stealership for recall? Any tips etc... I'm going to see if mine qualifies. I hear there supposed to be up to 150k miles.
Go here, put in VIN, see if car qualifies.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true
      12-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
That's a good article and even if you go with the S63 injector(13538616079kt ) https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13538616079kt it's still close to $800 DAM expensive.

Anyone have any luck trying to bring in there's to the stealership for recall? Any tips etc... I'm going to see if mine qualifies. I hear there supposed to be up to 150k miles.
The only models that qualified for extended warranty were 2010 MY.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #25
boulderlund
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I know that the general opinion on this forum is to stay away from ebay injectors. There is probably some merit to this, but I have yet to see any direct evidence that the ebay injectors are a waste of money. Conversely I did see several reports that the rockauto cheap index 12 injectors worked fine (Sadly I don't rockauto sells these right now). Anyway I decided to put some of my money on the line to experiment with inexpensive ebay injectors and here is my story.

I was battling a combined misfire/underboost problem for several months, that ultimately turned out to be a clogged secondary catalytic converter (see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447549). As I spent more and more time trying to diagnose the problem I began replacing key hardware in a desperate lame attempt to correct the problem. Even though none of my careful diagnostic tests indicated the injectors, many people suggested that this must be the source of trouble. I seriously considered buying a set of the latest BMW index 12 injectors from a reliable source (which have recently come down in price) for about $780. Since I really did not think the injectors were at fault, I opted instead for a set of the taboo ebay ones. I paid $175 for 6 new index 8 by a seller named cosmohey https://www.ebay.com/itm/6Pcs-OEM-FU...72.m2749.l2649 My main motivation in buying the injectors was to use them in troubleshooting. If I replaced all 6 and the car ran better, then it would indicate that one or more of the original injectors were at fault. It it ran worse, then I would confirm the forum consensus that the ebay injectors are junk. If it made no difference, then I would rule out injectors as the source of trouble once and for all.

I inspected the new injectors carefully before I installed them. Each injector was packaged in its own plastic cylinder, which was wrapped in a factory-looking plastic bag with part identification numbers on it. They definitely looked new and were indistinguishable from my original units (also index 8). Each injector had unique calibration numbers. The car ran exactly the same (like crap) after I installed and coded the new injectors. I kept doing smarter diagnostics and finally isolated the problem to blocked exhaust.

Now that the exhaust problem has been fixed the car runs like new, no misfires or underboost and loads of acceleration. I decided to leave the ebay injectors in place for now to continue the experiment. I can always revert to the originals if I start having misfire problems. I will report back from time to time to provide more data on how the ebay injectors hold up. Right now I can definitely say that the inexpensive ebay injectors are working flawlessly.

Now to speculate, I can imagine that some parts suppliers have a backlog of new old stock injectors sitting on their shelves. Most people will not by an index 8 set when index 12 is current. Certainly no BMW repair shops will buy them and many independents will also steer clear. So what do you do if you are a distributor with cartons of outdated injectors? If it were me, I would cut my losses and just unload them on ebay to get them off the books. Again this is just speculation, but it would explain why there are currently many deals for older index injectors.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #26
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:

150k extended warranty doesn't apply to 2007 n54. $800 isn't expensive. You don't spend this money every month on injectors. Now and probably never again. If you are complaining about $800 worth of parts then the less than $10k 11y old 335i that you just bought isn't for you.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #27
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderlund View Post
I know that the general opinion on this forum is to stay away from ebay injectors. There is probably some merit to this, but I have yet to see any direct evidence that the ebay injectors are a waste of money.
There are threads from people not able to properly code Ebay injectors and threads from people that continue experiencing misfires and thread from people damaging their engines like throwing a rod bearing. Do better research and I'm sure you will find the info.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #28
MysticRob
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know that the general opinion on this forum is to stay away from ebay injectors. There is probably some merit to this, but I have yet to see any direct evidence that the ebay injectors are a waste of money. Conversely I did see several reports that the rockauto cheap index 12 injectors worked fine (Sadly I don't rockauto sells these right now). Anyway I decided to put some of my money on the line to experiment with inexpensive ebay injectors and here is my story.

I was battling a combined misfire/underboost problem for several months, that ultimately turned out to be a clogged secondary catalytic converter (see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447549). As I spent more and more time trying to diagnose the problem I began replacing key hardware in a desperate lame attempt to correct the problem. Even though none of my careful diagnostic tests indicated the injectors, many people suggested that this must be the source of trouble. I seriously considered buying a set of the latest BMW index 12 injectors from a reliable source (which have recently come down in price) for about $780. Since I really did not think the injectors were at fault, I opted instead for a set of the taboo ebay ones. I paid $175 for 6 new index 8 by a seller named cosmohey https://www.ebay.com/itm/6Pcs-OEM-FU...72.m2749.l2649 My main motivation in buying the injectors was to use them in troubleshooting. If I replaced all 6 and the car ran better, then it would indicate that one or more of the original injectors were at fault. It it ran worse, then I would confirm the forum consensus that the ebay injectors are junk. If it made no difference, then I would rule out injectors as the source of trouble once and for all.

I inspected the new injectors carefully before I installed them. Each injector was packaged in its own plastic cylinder, which was wrapped in a factory-looking plastic bag with part identification numbers on it. They definitely looked new and were indistinguishable from my original units (also index 8). Each injector had unique calibration numbers. The car ran exactly the same (like crap) after I installed and coded the new injectors. I kept doing smarter diagnostics and finally isolated the problem to blocked exhaust.

Now that the exhaust problem has been fixed the car runs like new, no misfires or underboost and loads of acceleration. I decided to leave the ebay injectors in place for now to continue the experiment. I can always revert to the originals if I start having misfire problems. I will report back from time to time to provide more data on how the ebay injectors hold up. Right now I can definitely say that the inexpensive ebay injectors are working flawlessly.

Now to speculate, I can imagine that some parts suppliers have a backlog of new old stock injectors sitting on their shelves. Most people will not by an index 8 set when index 12 is current. Certainly no BMW repair shops will buy them and many independents will also steer clear. So what do you do if you are a distributor with cartons of outdated injectors? If it were me, I would cut my losses and just unload them on ebay to get them off the books. Again this is just speculation, but it would explain why there are currently many deals for older index injectors.
Not trying to be an ass, but your entire post could've been reduced to:
"I took a chance on ebay injectors and luckily didn't get burned. Your mileage may vary."
Glad you found and fixed the problem though.
      12-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #29
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
I'm glad you took the time to post your story. Much appreciated. It's good to see someone take the chance. I'm not saying I'd buy ebay injectors but at least I know it's an option.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I'm glad you took the time to post your story. Much appreciated. It's good to see someone take the chance. I'm not saying I'd buy ebay injectors but at least I know it's an option.
Lighting your car on fire and rolling it down a hill is an option too...doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Appreciate 2
MysticRob572.50
feuer4275.50
      12-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #31
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

I have 3 "ebay" injectors. They are Refurbished/re manufactured and have been working perfectly fine for the past 6 months ive had them. No, they wernt shipped out of china, and yes the seller had good/excellent reviews.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #32
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I think I made a big mistake with this car I thought I was getting at a deal LOL. I knew it required some maintenance and the previous owner told me his mechanic looked at it and it needed injectors. That's how i got a "Good Deal" good deal my arse. Thank goodness for all the help on the forums.

I decided to go the cheapie route. I also bought 6 ebay injectors. But just because it was a US seller doesnt mean they didnt come from China. Mine shipped from Tempe California but when I inquired if they were OEM refurbished he mentioned they were but that they came from China. The only thing I can deduce is that the Chinese got a bunch faulty injectors, brought them back to China refurbished them. What ever that means and then stores them in a warehouse in the US mostly California. Then ships them out from there. I will find out if there worth anything probably just throwing money down the drain but if I can get my Cyl 6 to stop misfiring I'll be happy. I've already configured INPA and verified I could get into the injectors and program them. I also took out cyl 6 injector tried cleaning it up a bit and reinstalling it but still through code.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #33
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I decided to go the cheapie route. I also bought 6 ebay injectors. But just because it was a US seller doesnt mean they didnt come from China. Mine shipped from Tempe California but when I inquired if they were OEM refurbished he mentioned they were but that they came from China. The only thing I can deduce is that the Chinese got a bunch faulty injectors, brought them back to China refurbished them. What ever that means and then stores them in a warehouse in the US mostly California. Then ships them out from there. I will find out if there worth anything probably just throwing money down the drain but if I can get my Cyl 6 to stop misfiring I'll be happy. I've already configured INPA and verified I could get into the injectors and program them. I also took out cyl 6 injector tried cleaning it up a bit and reinstalling it but still through code.
Keep reading/learning before flushing any further money down the toilet.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #34
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

There is of course a chance that an ebay injector is totally fine but there is inherent risk with playing with used/re-manufactured/cleaned injectors.

In the meantime there is a plethora of issues that can result including catastrophic engine failure.

So is saving a few hundred worth the cost of an engine? Only you can decide.

The successes stories are great but if/when someone gets nipped in the butt for it, I doubt any of those people pushing the ebay injectors will help on the cost for that person.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #35
MysticRob
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I'm still waiting to see how these injectors are 'refurbished' since they don't exactly look easy to disassemble, inspect, clean, and replace internals. Beyond some brakeclean and rags I think anyone buying these parts new from any place other than dealers and verified sellers is taking a huge chance. So be it.
      12-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #36
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I have one bad injector misfire in cyl 6. After swapping cyl 5 with 6 and recoding I've isolated this one injector. Bank 2 is all index 7. I would have to replace all of them at the same time if I go with index 12 correct. I can't buy just one new index 7 injector.

To minimize my risk with the eBay injectors I have installed INPA to read codes and reset adaptations and coding. So although it is a bigger risk I'm trying to minimize the downside. I don't plan on keeping this car for over a year so if I can get by on these it will be money well spent. Try selling a 335 with injector issues and see how much you get for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #37
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Y'all cats playing musical chairs with injectors are asking for trouble unless you are replacing the Teflon seal every time, which I'll put money says you aren't. If you think eBay injectors are a risk, swap your own injectors around a few times for fun. Crazy risky.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #38
muncie21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
It's not wasted money. He's burning his money so that the rest of us can learn...for free

I'm good with that Every herd has to have a sacrificial lamb
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #39
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well for all those wondering if the ebay injectors are a POS or actually work. I did mine today. They came in from Tempe CA. But I'm 100% they were originally shipped from China. They are INDEX 9. Refurbs. They look identical to the OEM ones. You cant tell a difference. Anyway long story short. I had Misfire in cyl 2 and cyl 6. Previous owner replaced coils for cyl 2 and cyl 6 and all new plugs. No they are not BMW OEM. I have no idea what brand they are but anyway on to the ebay injectors. I pulled two INPA printed files. One before that shows the misfires and one after I did the install. Coding went perfect no issues what so ever. There were a few injectors that the exact values didnt match after I coded them but they were close. The cost was $168 shipped came in about 3 days. Did not come with a sleeve on the rubber o-ring at the tip. Did not come with the sealing clips either. Came in a little plastic bag. And they had some sort of stamp I guess indicating which sweat shop the poor slave kids were working from.

I agree with everyone that ebay injectors pose a risk as 1) They give you refurbs from an index that was known to have issues. 2) Nobody can actually explain what refurbing one of these means. Do they take them apart or do they just spray injector cleaner through them and ship them back out?

Mine were Index 7 and index 8 and I have 124K miles on mine. My 08 is a project car so there aint no way I'm spending $150 - 200+ on EACH injector sorry. So if they lasted that long in the first place hard to spend so much extra money on the latest and greatest.

So at the end of the day and knock on wood these work just fine and at least for now I saved a boat load of money. I have no misfire anymore, car idles great now weird studdering on cold day (today) was gone. Starts right no long starts. I'm a happy camper! up Next on the agenda is to do a walnult blast and fix the rest of those error codes. I still need to do a proper test drive. I cleared the Adaptation 2 for the Energy Comparison Injectors. I'm assuming I'll have to drive it for a good 10 to 15 minutes to reset that. I'll follow up tomorrow when I go for a test drive. I just gone done about an hour ago and warmed the car up checking for codes and leaks etc... so I'll report back sometime tomorrow.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf error code 12-22-2017.pdf (158.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: pdf Error Code 12-30-2017 post ebay injector swap.pdf (158.4 KB, 95 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:20 AM   #40
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

I have a couple of concerns here. Do the injector tip seals appear to be new? Did you install the injectors with new decouplers? Both are essential to avoid damaging the head.
I'm all for saving money, I bought a set of 8 nearly new index 12s out of a crushed X5m for the cost of 1 new one. I replaced all of the seals and decouplers though.
The injectors appear to be friction welded, so "refurbished" means they are used injectors that have been cleaned, and hopefully new teflon seals have been slipped on.
I hope it works out for you...
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 03:35 AM   #41
Ballistic
Banned
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

I will guarantee you that you will be having issues with them in the coming weeks/month. These injectors cannot be refurbished and there disregarded because of troublesome performance in thier previous engine.
Often all injectors where thrown away because maybe 1 or 2 where causing issues. Especially in the index 9 series they threw them all away because if 1 or 2 injectors failed, the others will soon fail too.

Congradulations! U just bought and installed injectors that have previously been nominated as: "Will die in the very short future"

Again; We are not stupid. Many of us, including myself have tried and tested these injectors. Some worked for 20minutes, some for 3 months.
Either way; All of them show serious leaking issues around the seal because of the missing tip tube and have no use programming with INPA because the coding values no longer match the actual performance of the injector.

Using these injectors will reduce your engine life significantly, causes irregular performance, compression leaks, cilinder head wear and will leave you stranded on the side of the road eventually.

I'm sorry mate but you gotta be butt stupid if you buy these injectors. Even after all the warnings that have been posted previously. If you don't have or want to lay down the funds to properly replace these injectors... Be ashamed. You should SELL THE CAR.

Whatever you do; Don't post things like you just did giving hope to so many. Have some sense of responsibility. Don't encourage people buying these things. You will have a lot of them them spend thier hard earned money on crap injectors.
Appreciate 4
MysticRob572.50
litxus58.00
puppydax146.50
      01-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #42
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Sounds like your experienced? Are you a certified BMW tech or mechanic? What proof do you have on your claims? What makes you say that these injectors can not be refurbished? Obviously BMW is selling the discagarded injectors to somone overseas to," refurbish" them. How can you tell if there leaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I will guarantee you that you will be having issues with them in the coming weeks/month. These injectors cannot be refurbished and there disregarded because of troublesome performance in thier previous engine.
Often all injectors where thrown away because maybe 1 or 2 where causing issues. Especially in the index 9 series they threw them all away because if 1 or 2 injectors failed, the others will soon fail too.

Congradulations! U just bought and installed injectors that have previously been nominated as: "Will die in the very short future"

Again; We are not stupid. Many of us, including myself have tried and tested these injectors. Some worked for 20minutes, some for 3 months.
Either way; All of them show serious leaking issues around the seal because of the missing tip tube and have no use programming with INPA because the coding values no longer match the actual performance of the injector.

Using these injectors will reduce your engine life significantly, causes irregular performance, compression leaks, cilinder head wear and will leave you stranded on the side of the road eventually.

I'm sorry mate but you gotta be butt stupid if you buy these injectors. Even after all the warnings that have been posted previously. If you don't have or want to lay down the funds to properly replace these injectors... Be ashamed. You should SELL THE CAR.

Whatever you do; Don't post things like you just did giving hope to so many. Have some sense of responsibility. Don't encourage people buying these things. You will have a lot of them them spend thier hard earned money on crap injectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #43
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Sounds like your experienced? Are you a certified BMW tech or mechanic? What proof do you have on your claims? What makes you say that these injectors can not be refurbished? Obviously BMW is selling the discagarded injectors to somone overseas to," refurbish" them. How can you tell if there leaking?
I'm not sure what you are looking for? Just browse threads and you will see people's experiences. NOBODY FOUND GOOD INJECTORS AT THAT PRICE YET.

And you bought these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-OEM-FUEL...kAAOSwTQtaACGt

I'm highly suspect of your eBay injector refurbishing process as here is quote from one of "direct injector cleaning" websites located in US:

https://www.injectorrx.com/fuel-injector-cleaning/

We Do Not Service:

Diesel Injectors
GM Vortec CPI injector “spider” assemblies.
Ficht Injectors
BMW N54 Piezo

I'm sure if these injectors were serviceable it would of been done by now...

As for BMW selling them, I highly doubt it, as they would not involve in something like that for liability purposes, but if they sold as scrap it could be. In that case you get these injectors cheap, then do a quick clean up if needed, maybe a flow test and sell back as "remanufactured".

Anyway, it is your car, and you can put whatever you want in it
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2018, 02:34 AM   #44
Ballistic
Banned
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Quote:
Are you a millennial? You sure act like it.

BMW is NOT selling these used injectors. They are ALL thrown away when removed from engine. Source: Brother in law works for BMW. Someone is getting these things from the trashcan, throws them in a puddle of brake cleaner and then sells them like refurbished.

They CANNOT be refurbished. We tried twice with a brand new 2017 version injector test equipment. Injectors had a double dose of ultrasonic cleaning which did NOT resolve anything.
Appreciate 1