E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Ford curtails production due to chip shortage

02-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Ford curtails production due to chip shortage

Chip shortage continues.

Latest reports from other sources indicate chips will affect auto production through 2024.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

So much for the reports a few months ago that chip production was catching up.
Appreciate 1
chassis6565.50
      02-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Yes and the pickup trucks are Ford’s cash cows. They do everything possible to avoid disrupting pickup truck production, so the situation appears challenged if the money making products are impacted.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Yes and the pickup trucks are Ford’s cash cows. They do everything possible to avoid disrupting pickup truck production, so the situation appears challenged if the money making products are impacted.
Yep. They will shut down every other line to keep the F150 lines as I can attest. I ordered a new Mustang GT in 2012 and my car was delayed a month because there was an issue with the Coyote engine parts supply and Ford ensured the engines they could make went to the F150 lines.
Appreciate 1
chassis6565.50
      02-14-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
So much for the reports a few months ago that chip production was catching up.
Because China is still locking down whole cities still. If there is one thing I hope companies take from all this is that you can't produce all the worlds good in basically one place and expect no problems when shit goes down.
Appreciate 4
      02-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #6
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Rip

just ordered an f150 last week. guess ill be waiting even longer than i initially thought

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I saw a post saying 392 Wranglers are now 8-9 month lead time and they removed the Xtreme Recon package from being able to order it. What a mess!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 12:04 PM   #8
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

2022 is not looking good for auto industry. Most brands went into 2021 still having physical inventory on dealer lots. This helped them push through 2021. Starting 2022 they all have little to no inventory, just about everything is built to order. Year or year sales numbers are going to be terrible. Inventory issues finally hit BMW Q4 of last year, when they went negative compared to Q4 2020.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:04 PM   #9
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Yep. They will shut down every other line to keep the F150 lines as I can attest. I ordered a new Mustang GT in 2012 and my car was delayed a month because there was an issue with the Coyote engine parts supply and Ford ensured the engines they could make went to the F150 lines.
There's a lot behind the scenes that don't get reported or seen in the media. It's true with really any manufacturing or business.

I've heard to curve some of the chip issues there's talk of limiting certain options so vehicles can still be released with absence of what chips would supplied for X options if unavailable. So certain supply for the chain might be higher delivery for the 150 vs mustang for example.. All depends on what X is relative to.
Mustang from a production line in general is slower from less orders in winter months. Less seasonal demand less immediate production. When I used to cut gears far far fewer orders came in for mustangs in winter. You could always tell what time of the year it was when I ran a lot of 4.10:1 ring and pins, which btw hope the diff was going good in your 2012, I might've cut the teeth in those gears

I honestly don't know where they are now pumping out the engines for the mustang now but from what I thought, all US manufactured car motors were coming from a plant that was shut down after the last UAW contract signing. All Truck/SUV engines were coming from different plants. When Ford killed all cars except the mustang for the US market the only choice was to close that engine plant. For All those concerned about that plant closing all workers there either had early retirement or relocated, most to the transmission/ev tech/mask plant a mile up the road from where I work.

Covid has hit all aspects of manufacturing. The Chip shortage was getting caught up...until a fire decimated one of the over seas plants producing those chips. Mixed in with Covid out breaks and it flows down the entire manufacturing process. A tooling company I rely on to machine what I do has sporadic delays from personnel issues with covid. We run great while we can then have to slow our pace so we aren't at a stand still waiting on the tooling company. It's just one of many ripple affects felt.

Last edited by Piper1; 02-15-2022 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
chassis6565.50
heavyD^23688.50
      02-15-2022, 10:00 PM   #10
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Rear diff was good in that car. MT-82 transmission wasn't so good and I had the early Coyote engine with oil squirters and the engine ping in the bottom end.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #11
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Rear diff was good in that car. MT-82 transmission wasn't so good and I had the early Coyote engine with oil squirters and the engine ping in the bottom end.
I’m glad the diff held up for you, it sucks hearing about the rest. Most of my comments about the mustang at work, those I work with are quick to snap disagreements and I’m blasphemous but my view comes from having my e85 prior to the mustang I had so it’s always tread light conversations. And it’s really the only poor man’s (if it can be classified that anymore) sports car we got. Though after having the chance at taking a new gt500 out at the track by us you don’t want to even tease yourself after on a lesser trim just not the same lol.
Appreciate 0