E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Can I sand down an over-application of touch-up paint?

04-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
gofast!
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Can I sand down an over-application of touch-up paint?

-

Last edited by gofast!; 01-30-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

I had the same problem....rock chip on the passenger door. I repaired the chip with touch up paint then after it had plenty of time to dry, I wet sanded it with 2000 grit sand paper. I then used Menzerna 106fa polish. It did the job well. Topped it with a glaze and a paint sealant.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
nasdakboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
I had the same problem....rock chip on the passenger door. I repaired the chip with touch up paint then after it had plenty of time to dry, I wet sanded it with 2000 grit sand paper. I then used Menzerna 106fa polish. It did the job well. Topped it with a glaze and a paint sealant.
2k grit is a still a bit too harsh. I use 2500 grit to wetsand on scratches. easier to remove the effects of the sandpaper.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

You can not re-apply the clear bra.....it won't stick. Yes you can take the clear bra off yourself. I just use my heat gun to warm it up. I used 2000 grit because that is what I had handy. Using 2000 then finish up with 2500 is a better idea, then polish the fine scratches out. Mine worked out fine.

Make sure you let the 2000 or 2500 grit soak in water for awhile.....then spray water on the paint and DON'T let the paint dry while you are sanding. You will be amazed how it does sand off the excess paint. Just don't go over board on how hard you press down while sanding.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
nasdakboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast! View Post
Forgive me for another noob question, but is this super high grit sandpaper even capable of sanding off the exra layer of touch up paint?

I just went and picked up some 2000 grit sandpaper from Checker and this stuff seems too fine to do anything much less shave down a mole sized dollop of touch-up paint.

This paint bulge is about 3 mm in diameter and about 1 mm in height above the original paint surface.
Absolutely. First time I tried to wet sand a touched up spot I removed all the touch up paint in about 10-15 seconds. I've found that with 2000 grit you need a pretty heavy compound and cutting pad to remove the scratches it leaves in the clearcoat. Just my experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Don't forget teh sanding block, so you don't end up sanding the area AROUND the bulge, and not the bulge itself. Anything realtively solid, like a small block of wood. Take a look from a side angle when you set the block/snadpaper combo on the spot. Make sure you see that the edges are not touching your unblemished paint.

It may take longer to do the hump right, don't use a lot of force and keep an eye on it from the sides, to make sure you are only polishing the hump.

And/or try the pencil eraser trick. Glue tiny bits of sandpaper to a pencil eraser and spin it on the hump to remove just the raised areas. Hole punch makes about the perfect sized sandpaper peices to glue onto the eraser.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
FiveSouth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Don't forget teh sanding block, so you don't end up sanding the area AROUND the bulge, and not the bulge itself. Anything realtively solid, like a small block of wood. Take a look from a side angle when you set the block/snadpaper combo on the spot. Make sure you see that the edges are not touching your unblemished paint.

It may take longer to do the hump right, don't use a lot of force and keep an eye on it from the sides, to make sure you are only polishing the hump.

And/or try the pencil eraser trick. Glue tiny bits of sandpaper to a pencil eraser and spin it on the hump to remove just the raised areas. Hole punch makes about the perfect sized sandpaper peices to glue onto the eraser.
I've never heard of that hole punch idea! Love it!
Appreciate 0