E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > To all e90post bike riders: Questions about Motorcycles

08-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Jammin Jason
We run LA
Ras al-Khaimah
Rep
Drives: Slow E90

Garage List
06 E90  [0.00]
To all e90post bike riders: Questions about Motorcycles

Im trading or selling my e90 to get a bike. What I'm looking for is an affordable, reliable, motorcycle to purchase as my first. It's something I want to use as my everyday vehicle.

i been going around bike forums and told me that beginning riders are recommended to get a 250cc or 500cc bike.
also
- Suzuki gs500
- ninja 250
- 750cc gsx-r

which bike is the best for starters like myself?
i never driven a motorcycle by myself but I have drove once under my uncle's control.

Can i get any advice before I start everything?
      08-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

i never driven a motorcycle by myself
something I want to use as my everyday vehicle

YIKES!

Why on earth are you getting on a street bike w/ no seat time?

My first suggestion is keep your car and start riding some trail/dirt bikes...slowly. Get your feet wet first my friend.

Married? She is OK w/ your idea?

I love bikes but nearly died from some pin heads running a stop sign. Have not been back on one since then. DEFENSE first if you get one.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Jammin Jason
We run LA
Ras al-Khaimah
Rep
Drives: Slow E90

Garage List
06 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
i never driven a motorcycle by myself
something I want to use as my everyday vehicle

YIKES!

Why on earth are you getting on a street bike w/ no seat time?

My first suggestion is keep your car and start riding some trail/dirt bikes...slowly. Get your feet wet first my friend.

Married? She is OK w/ your idea?

I love bikes but nearly died from some pin heads running a stop sign. Have not been back on one since then. DEFENSE first if you get one.

nope im not married. hah
im getting a street bike because of my living conditions. Honestly, i do not need a car. Im always either working or at school. I dont go on vacations, road trips, or any of that. I believe im just wasting cash on a sedan i dont need or necessary for me to have. I live in the middle of suburbs and city (Los Angeles) and the nearest place to go dirt/trail biking is probably an hour plus drive away. and i dont have time off to do that as well. best thing for me is to start learning on the street. first around my neighborhood and eventually advance to the streets.
      08-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

look into a dual-sport bike. if you have 0 hours on a motorcycle right now, you will most likely drop the bike. seriously. they're meant to be dropped, they're cheap, and nobody's going to steal it. you can practice on it until you get sick of it, then upgrade to a sport bike.

unless you really REALLY want a sport bike. there is a HUGE difference between a gsxr750 and a ninja250...the gsxr has WAY too much torque for a beginner. the ninja 250 is easy to ride, but once you start learning how to ride you're going to want to upgrade to a 600 quick. the 250 will be boring after 6mo - 1yr

the gs500 is a very popular beginner bike, and isn't much more expensive than a 250.

you also might want to look into the older CBR's - F3, F4 or a 2000'ish gsxr-600. these have relatively low seat heights which will give you more confidence. how tall are you?

take a motorcycle training course. this is the single best thing you can do if you have no miles under your belt.

cbr F3

gs500

ninja 250

gsxr 600

you can find all these bikes under 3,000 if you're patient.

my main points:
-don't spend a lot of money on your first bike
-take a rider safety course
-find something comfortable. you will notice that some bikes have a more aggressive riding position. it will hurt your back, shoulders, and arms
-motorcycle forums - read others' "crash" stories so you can learn from their mistakes
-don't get cocky or overconfident and upgrade to something bigger until you're ready. you will know when you're ready for a bigger and faster bike
-buy proper riding gear. a FULL FACE helmet, leather gloves, leather jacket, riding boots, and if you have money...leather pants
-if you don't have medical insurance, get it now

riding a bike in LA could be nuts. make sure you practice somewhere safe. other than what's stated above, good luck with your search and RIDE SAFELY
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Even that gixxer 600 above would be too much for a beginner rider.

I second the SV650 as an excellent starter bike.

Just whatever you do... don't get a liter bike until you're comfortable riding a 600.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
Even that gixxer 600 above would be too much for a beginner rider.

I second the SV650 as an excellent starter bike.

Just whatever you do... don't get a liter bike until you're comfortable riding a 600.
perhaps. they're not THAT fast compared to the 600's nowadays. but the main reason is the low seat height. perhaps a beginner should steer clear of this if they could.

of course. how could i forget the sv400 and sv650
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Almost pulled a trigger on a bike but given the amount of auto accidents I've been in where the other drivers were completely at fault ( running red lights, rear ended, etc ) I'm completely terrified of what may happen to me when I ride the bike. Sure, you may be the world's safest driver but it's not going to help you when some idiot doesn't see you and plows right through you =x. good luck on your bike hunt though and be safe. You can't easily walk away from a bike accident like you could from a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Alright. DO NOT LISTEN to the people that say start on anything higher than a supersport 600cc. I personally started on a Ninja 250r and it is amazing. I sugget you start on that, since they hold there resale value very well. You will also need gear. A helmet, jacket, gloves and riding boots. Pants if you would like. Take the motorcycle riding course. And before you hit the street practice in the parking lots, ALOT. There is soo much to motorcycling, I could go on all day as to how much there is to it, and how much there is too learn.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

DO NOT buy a GSX-R750, you'll hurt or kill yourself.

How big are you? Any experience on bikess (road, dirt)?
I'd recommend a few bikes for starters, which all tend to be very good:

Suzuki SV650
Kawasaki 650R
Kawasaki EX500
Suzuki GS500
And older Honda 600-F3

Stay away from any modern race-replica, even the 600's.

1) Buy gear: Helmet, jacket, gloves at minimum - pants & boots suggested. Where your gear.
2) Spend a lot of time practicing different scenarios, things will happen fast.
3) Take an approved training course in your state - it will teach you many valuable lessons.
4) Find yourself some local guys to ride with and learn from. You're in Socal? Maybe BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum).
      08-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
ninja 250
Wow, pulled this one out of the archives. They have had a more modern body style for the past couple of years, look just like a 600cc SS now.

I would say start on an older bike that is around 600cc (2000 or before) or a newer 250/500 just to get used to riding. Something cheap that you won't care too much about if you drop it, since most people do.

the MSF courses are good for beginners as well and usually lower your insurance rates on the bike.

Good luck and ride safe.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

I agree...the newer ninja 250s looks tits...plus the resale value is good, so long as you dont dump the bike.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
perhaps. they're not THAT fast compared to the 600's nowadays. but the main reason is the low seat height. perhaps a beginner should steer clear of this if they could.

of course. how could i forget the sv400 and sv650
Yeah, the older 600s are not as fast compared to the current gen... but they're still way too much for a newbie. I started off in an 03 gixxer 600 so I know this from experience. As a beginner bike, the only 600 sportbike I would recommend would be F4i, or the older yamaha.

The SV650 is not a true sportbike, has about 75hp, very easy to ride without worrying about throttle control.

The kwak 250 is even better though... you can go full lean with WOT and not worry about high siding.

I ride a 1000RR now but I've been riding for 8 years... it makes my M3 feels slow
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Absolutely not the GSXR750

I'd agree with others about the 250 or SV650, but some people who catch on real quick, and are responsible, can start on an F4i or similar. I've known a few people who went too conservative to start, and were left wanting more, and being capable of more, really quickly. All I'd recommend is get something that you don't mind fucking up, because you will drop it as you learn. Then again, I knew one jackass who started on an R1 (from scratch) and sure enough, the first time he got ballsy, his Raven paint scheme was all over the tarmac.

Take a motorcycle safety course before all else.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

MSF course FTW
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post

I ride a 1000RR now but I've been riding for 8 years... it makes my M3 feels slow
please don't tell me you have the 08+

they're ugly as hell!

ive been through a 600rr and gsxr600. honda bikes are sooo sexy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
please don't tell me you have the 08+

they're ugly as hell!

ive been through a 600rr and gsxr600. honda bikes are sooo sexy

LOL... i agree, the 08-09 1000RRs are ugly

which is why I have a modded 05 1000RR

I also had a 600RR after my gixxer was stolen... I sold the 600RR to my brother. I miss that bike, it was so much easier to drop it into the corners.

/end threadjack.

OP... please still dont get a liter bike
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep

^ mmm sexy. i think i've seen that bike on 1000rr.net
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ mmm sexy. i think i've seen that bike on 1000rr.net
But of course

1000rr.net is THE site for the honda liter bikes....just like m3post is THE site for the M3!

It took my two years to mod everything on that bike... exhaust, custom map on the PC3, wheels, suspension, exterior, etc.. But since it's done, I can now focus my attention on the M!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
bimmer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

A motorcycle training course is an absolute for you. I grew up all my life on motorcycles, and I even took the class with my wife to get her some seat time on her own. I learned a lot and enjoyed the class. We did it over a weekend and you end up with your license and a break on your insurance. Honestly, if you get something too small you'll be wanting a new bike in a few months but you'll probably be a more confident rider for doing it that way. I don't know the helmet laws in your area, but do yourself a favor and always wear one. You are most likely to be in an accident within the first 6 months of learning to ride. 9 times out of 10 accidents involving a motorcycle are caused by a car not seeing the motorcycle. At least initially, limit night time driving, DON'T RIDE IN THE RAIN, don't ride a passenger (this completely changes the dynamics of the bike) at first, wear a helmet, never drink and drive, wear some cloths that have a little color to them. Ok, I'm done ranting.
      08-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #21
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

The 08+ Ninja 250r look great. here is mine

Appreciate 0