E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > car wash dent - how much will it cost? bodywork

04-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Gaetan.depoorter@skynet.b
Gaetan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: SG 320i E90

car wash dent - how much will it cost? bodywork

bought my mother's car 2 days ago. it was a bit dirty, i decided to take it to a complete car wash make over with polish and everything.

after the polish machine the door looked like this and they claim it's impossible their machine did it...

so there i am, with no proof watsoever and probably a couple of hundreds of euros for the body- and paintwork.

anyone have a clue how expensive this might turn?

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
nikku
Detailing Nerd
Canada
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

Hey I would first try to buff most of that out and see what remains.

I wasn't really able to tell by the pics but I would buff it first and then after buffing if what remained were deeper scratches I would primer, touch-up, clearcoat then wetsand, compound, polish.

For dents you should look into paintless dent repair. Generally $40 per dent and decreases upon amount of dents looked after.

I prefer looking after dents first before touching up paint because issues may arise with the small area of paint that you touched up after paintless dent repair.

If you're not attempting to tackle the touch up yourself you are probably looking to source a detailer and a paintless dent repair.

hope this helps.
      04-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
MrChessy
Magical Pill...
United_States
Rep
Drives: wreckless

Once again, I stress that washing your own car is the best solution. Never trust outsiders to even wash your car since they only make minimum wages. That scratch is too deep to get rebuff. You're probably gonna have to hit up a detail shop for that scratch. Good luck..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Gaetan
Belgium
Rep

i don't mind the dent all that much, i'm more worried about the paint job. which is i'm gonna have to have done anyway, i'm afraid. but any detailer is not gonna wanna paint without dent removal... i'm gonna go get a price on monday i think. i'll keep you posted. thx for the responses already.

and yes, i would like to wash it myself from time to time but we have like a communal parking terrain and i would hate it if all the neighbours were looking over my shoulders...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
nikku
Detailing Nerd
Canada
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

Good luck gaetan. Hope things workout.
      04-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Gaetan
Belgium
Rep

thx , wil talk to the bodywork man on monday. (or hope he gets my mail and replies (with these pics). by the way, how do i change my email adres into just an onscreen name here. can't really find it in the profile settings
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
LOW2000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 00 Silverado 08 G35S 62 CJ5

Based on the quick estimate I just wrote on your car, you're looking at roughly $750USD to have that repaired at a body shop.

Repair time on the front door, rear door, and rocker panel. Refinish all 3 parts with detrim of the doors and removal and reinstallation of the rocker molding. Plus all of the little incidentals like hazardous waste fee, flex additive for the rocker, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Gaetan
Belgium
Rep

750 $ is indeed the amount it will cost. in euros around 600.
is going in wednesday for repairs....
Appreciate 0