E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > a battle as old as time itself

02-20-2007, 05:23 AM   #45
M3_GTR
Start of 2008, E92 owner!!
Rep
Drives: soon to be E92

go berserk first, then quieten down.. then die.. lol.. alot of crackling involved!!

Mods:
-Remus exhaust system
-Clear Front, side and rear lights
-M3 Spolier
-BMW cross-spoke rims
-lowered
-c/f trim inside
-BMW sports steering wheel
-Customized plate's...

in 8 months, E92 bimmer!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 05:26 AM   #46
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
uh oh.. mine go berserk a bit.. but it always seems to go away... i hope that doesn't mean they are dieing
      02-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #47
M3_GTR
Rep

^$550aud each.. lol but i get it for $300 cos of friends in electrical

Mods:
-Remus exhaust system
-M3 Spolier
-BMW cross-spoke rims
-lowered
-c/f trim inside
-Customized plate's...

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 05:31 AM   #48
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
hook us up when mine die
      02-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #49
M3_GTR
Rep

your in sydney.. lol... we better stop talkn bout regualtors, or when i get to the car tomorrow, none of the windows are gonna work lol

Mods:
-Remus exhaust system
-M3 Spolier
-BMW cross-spoke rims
-lowered
-c/f trim inside
-Customized plate's...

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #50
chem0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_GTR View Post
.. they've always, or nearly always out classed mercedes,
ROFL... ..

E46Fanatics.com
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #51
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
I reckon Mercedes makes better cars.
fair enough, everyone has their own personal opinion - and from what i've read you do have some nice wheels in the garage... i'm curious why did you buy a 335i if you have a M3 btw?

Quote:
Also hard to critisise them for using SC on whats one of the best V8 engines built when BMW stuck two pumps on the side of the 335.
can you explain what you mean by 'one of the best v8 engines built'...? a 5.4 litre engine that has a single cam, 3 valves/cylinder, 6700 redline, and pumps out ~270kw is nothing special in terms of v8s.

for someone who drives a M3 and a 335i, i'm pretty disappointed in this statement.

i can think of a handful of, dare i say 'better' v8s without even scratching my head... audi RS4, e39 M5, 360 modena, maserati coupe, aston martin vantage, ford fpv GT for a start... each of which are beautiful engines, and light-years ahead in terms of technology when compared to the ubiquitous 5.4L benz v8 which seems to have made its way into every single benz model on the planet - i won't be suprised if there's an A55 out soon.

I'm not critical of them blowing the 5.4, but you start to wonder when almost all benz engines have the kompressor tag attached... not exactly hi-tech engineering.

I'm not bagging out benz here... i do like some of their cars... but at the forefront of engine technology they are definately not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_GTR View Post
ill always take a BMW over a merc(dad said)
haha...! best quote of the day!!! :rocks:

Last edited by im_dave; 02-20-2007 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #52
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_dave View Post
fair enough, everyone has their own personal opinion - and from what i've read you do have some nice wheels in the garage... i'm curious why did you buy a 335i if you have a M3 btw? :
Because I like the 335, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the E46's in terms of build quality and as I stated before it's a little silly to spend a vast sum of money on a second car. Don't get me wrong I like BMW's. Obviously I wouldn't own one otherwise! But I don't think they are the be all and end all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_dave View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 'one of the best v8 engines built'...? a 5.4 litre engine that has a single cam, 3 valves/cylinder, 6700 redline, and pumps out ~270kw is nothing special in terms of v8s.

for someone who drives a M3 and a 335i, i'm pretty disappointed in this statement.

i can think of a handful of, dare i say 'better' v8s without even scratching my head... audi RS4, e39 M5, 360 modena, maserati coupe, aston martin vantage, ford fpv GT for a start... each of which are beautiful engines, and light-years ahead in terms of technology when compared to the ubiquitous 5.4L benz v8 which seems to have made its way into every single benz model on the planet - i won't be suprised if there's an A55 out soon.

I'm not critical of them blowing the 5.4, but you start to wonder when almost all benz engines have the kompressor tag attached... not exactly hi-tech engineering.

I'm not bagging out benz here... i do like some of their cars... but at the forefront of engine technology they are definately not.

haha...! best quote of the day!!! :rocks:
Well you've read the reviews of the cars tested with those engines right? On paper 24 valves doesn't sound like much, but every review raves about the engines. As for one of the best V8 engines around. It was a quote from one of the first test back in the day when they were first released, they are a great engine. And no review I've ever read has said otherwise. It has mountains of torque everywhere and has a great exhaust note, it sings when on full song.

Also, it'd be good to consider the engine was first used over 8 years ago, and every other engine you've just listed has been around for considerably less time than that barring the S62.

They definantly aren't at the forefront of engine technology, however neither are BMW. Porsche for example uses titanium pistons in it's GT cars, you don't see that on your M cars. The oil cooler on my GTR is larger than the intercooler fitted in the front of the 335! The S54 is an awesome engine, which I suppose is backed up by the fact it's won International Engine of the year since 2001, but it's not without problems. Ala connecting rod bearing failures resulting in $25k+ paper weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinno View Post
Err what else u got in that garage?? It'd be a nice one anyhow..
As for ppl being 'critical' if anything.. you have said that you basically think Mercs are the better car on a BMW forum, so you can't be surprised at the outcome..
I've got a turbo BMW E30 and a fairly extensively modified R32 GTR Skyline

I can understand people having different views, and discussing them which is great, makes things interesting. Being critical for the sake of bias and nothing more is pretty childish.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #53
vinno
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Non BMW

Quote:

I've got a turbo BMW E30 and a fairly extensively modified R32 GTR Skyline

I can understand people having different views, and discussing them which is great, makes things interesting. Being critical for the sake of bias and nothing more is pretty childish.
I'm surprised if you think there won't be some bias posting it up on these forums.. not everyone here obviously has the opportunity of having 10+ rides like you, and I guess that's your fortune. But from what I see, I think there are quite a few valid opinions on this thread- from people who have done their research.

As for the extensive number of cars- noice one but why so many? Surely regos and insurance must be a PITA?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #54
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

^ i definately agree with Vinno about bias existing especially in a thread like this.

I personally don't like the mercs style of drive for the non AMG models. They are a soft drive(non sports orientated drive) and this is the main reason i love BMW's due to the fact that they are a sportier and more responsive drive. My mother has a 2005 merc CLK320 and i must say i never have the urge to drive the car.
So far from ppl's posts it has been a merc vs BMW thread to the max. If your going to compare then lets compare a 335coupe to a clk350 because thats its actual rival. When ppl were saying the mercs were worse etc etc
1q2w3e4r straight away jumped to talk about AMG's thats the only line of mercs that really saves the merc image from being dull, slow and comfort orientated to being a sporting beast.

What im trying to say is to have a fair argument compare the models:
current e90-320 to a c-class 200k or 335coupe with a merc clk350/500 etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #55
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
1q2w3e4r straight away jumped to talk about AMG's thats the only line of mercs that really saves the merc image from being dull, slow and comfort orientated to being a sporting beast.

What im trying to say is to have a fair argument compare the models:
current e90-320 to a c-class 200k or 335coupe with a merc clk350/500 etc etc.
As far as the AMG's, that's been the bulk of my experience with them. It's always interesting though that Audi really is very rarely mentioned in Australia but seems to be more so in the US etc.

Do people who buy BMW's not really look at Audi as a direct compeditor like Mercedes?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #56
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I've actually got 3 BMW's. Err, becuase I've got a CLK 55 AMG as well perhaps? And used to own a E55, I love it how I post that I think Mercedes make better cars and your automatically critical of it. As for the 335, I like it. It's leaps and bounds above the E46 in terms of build quality and ergonomics, and it's hard to justify spending $200k to jump into a new AMG when you have more than one car.

It's great that I have to justify my opinon by stating what I drive and why, when you've obviously never owned or driven an AMG but find it more than acceptable to be critical of someone who has first hand experience of both brands.

It's a shame that you think you can only like one brand and not the other.
Precisely. Why can't people just admit both are good brands and that they prefer one slightly over the other...I'd be very happy with an E55AMG, but personally would prefer an M5..

Congrats on your garage btw - very impressive!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #57
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

I really like AUDI, yes i do see AUDI as a competitor but they still need to im prove(engines,drive chassis). I think the next A4 will be very competitive to the e90. From current pics of the A5 and S5 it looks like 335coupe is under attack.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #58
vinno
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Non BMW

Quite literally Chris.G
The back of it looks quite similar to the 335.. whatsgoinon??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #59
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo JB View Post
Precisely. Why can't people just admit both are good brands and that they prefer one slightly over the other...I'd be very happy with an E55AMG, but personally would prefer an M5..

Congrats on your garage btw - very impressive!
Thanks, sometimes and auto's good value though They are both great brands, I agree and nothing wrong with prefering one over the other.

Quote:
I really like AUDI, yes i do see AUDI as a competitor but they still need to im prove(engines,drive chassis). I think the next A4 will be very competitive to the e90. From current pics of the A5 and S5 it looks like 335coupe is under attack.
Hehe I had a quick google, it looks like a 335! I guess because Audi really hasn't had a huge presence locally with their RS cars until the current RS4 they have kind of flown under my radar. They old RS4 estate was a good piece of kit, however I think apart from that they seem a little boring. Not sure why, but not something I'd consider purchasing I don't think. Although I think the new A/S3 is well finished, I just don't like the air con vents on the dash.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #60
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo JB View Post
Why can't people just admit both are good brands and that they prefer one slightly over the other...I'd be very happy with an E55AMG, but personally would prefer an M5..
exactly. this whole thread was spawned because someone said mercs shit on beemers (or words to that effect), and someone else agreed.

i think they are both good car brands. and yes, i prefer a bmw over a mercedes as my choice of vehicle and i can understand the flipside too.

i would never say one is better than the other because they are so different.

on a separate note - i think audis are becoming more and more popular in oz... plenty on the streets. i particularly like the RS4 and the new tt looks fab... can't comment though as i have yet to drive either one. but with their more common a4's, a3's and a6's, fwd are standard (aside from the quattro versions), which puts them in a different league to beemers and mercs, imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #61
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

Looking at current A5 interior pictures i am quite impressed. I like it more then the e92 interior. I can't wait to see a comparison between the 335 and A5 when it comes out. Any dates for release BTW?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #62
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looking at current A5 interior pictures i am quite impressed. I like it more then the e92 interior. I can't wait to see a comparison between the 335 and A5 when it comes out. Any dates for release BTW?
rethinking on the idea of getting a 335 chris?
      02-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #63
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

Not really. It all depends on when the m-sports comes out for the e92 and if the A5 is dynamically better then the e92. If so then id have second thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #64
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
This is an hoest story, but I test drove the Kompressor C180, Jag X-Type, Crossfire and my current BMW and went down chapel street one arvo...and I tell ya, I got more looks in my Bimmer than any of the other cars!!!! Goes to show what turns heads eh???

Or could it be because my windows were down??? (Just kidding!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #65
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA69 View Post
This is an hoest story, but I test drove the Kompressor C180, Jag X-Type, Crossfire and my current BMW and went down chapel street one arvo...and I tell ya, I got more looks in my Bimmer than any of the other cars!!!! Goes to show what turns heads eh???

Or could it be because my windows were down??? (Just kidding!!!!)
Or that your a chick? With your windows down
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 09:57 PM   #66
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
vrooom vrrroom!!