E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SSTT questions for Jeff at Eurobahn

07-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

SSTT questions for Jeff at Eurobahn

Hi Jeff - I just got my SSTT last Thursday and installed it same day. That was truely a "plug and play" A buddy of mine came over and we did it together...piece of cake. The USB cable worked better than the guitar pick for us. After futzing around for a few minutes making sure we were pulling off the TMAP sensor, we had it disconnected and the SSTT installed within a couple minutes.

I've driven it 3 times since the install. I didn't disconnect the battery (I put it in sleep mode w/battery connected). No CEL, so that was good news. With the recommendation of folks here, I drove it pretty hard the first couple of drives with WOT for 2-3 seconds multiple times. I do notice an increase in power...2nd and 3rd gears are my favorites. When you step on the throttle you can really feel it throw you back into the seat (much more than stock). Before you know it, you're doing 90-95...

My question is how long should the adaptation process take? Should this thing be fully adapted by now, or is it going to take a few more drives? Anything more I should do in how I drive it during this break-in phase?

Another question: I was feeling around down where the SST is dangling...and noticed some heat from a few of the hoses near the SSTT. Should we be worried about any heat damage there? Any extra precaution we should be taking to ensure it doesn't get cooked? I made sure it wasn't resting on anything super-hot, but I imagine if you hit the right bump on the road, it could wiggle it's way to a fairly hot spot...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Hi Jeff - I just got my SSTT last Thursday and installed it same day. That was truely a "plug and play" A buddy of mine came over and we did it together...piece of cake. The USB cable worked better than the guitar pick for us. After futzing around for a few minutes making sure we were pulling off the TMAP sensor, we had it disconnected and the SSTT installed within a couple minutes.

I've driven it 3 times since the install. I didn't disconnect the battery (I put it in sleep mode w/battery connected). No CEL, so that was good news. With the recommendation of folks here, I drove it pretty hard the first couple of drives with WOT for 2-3 seconds multiple times. I do notice an increase in power...2nd and 3rd gears are my favorites. When you step on the throttle you can really feel it throw you back into the seat (much more than stock). Before you know it, you're doing 90-95...

My question is how long should the adaptation process take? Should this thing be fully adapted by now, or is it going to take a few more drives? Anything more I should do in how I drive it during this break-in phase?

Another question: I was feeling around down where the SST is dangling...and noticed some heat from a few of the hoses near the SSTT. Should we be worried about any heat damage there? Any extra precaution we should be taking to ensure it doesn't get cooked? I made sure it wasn't resting on anything super-hot, but I imagine if you hit the right bump on the road, it could wiggle it's way to a fairly hot spot...
Glad you are enjoying your TurboTuner The unit is built to take the heat. I have put my own through some pretty hot runs into death valley and no issues so far. Some people have suggested wrapping it with some heat insulation stuff you can pick up at West Marine products. Stuff they use for wrapping exhaust pipes etc. Certainly would help keep it cool Might make more HP too since the unit pulls power if it gets too hot under there!

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

i ember first day i got mine...

i wasnt feeling it until about 4 days later..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

sstt is sweet!

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0