E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Wastegate Rattle Warranty, Turbos Replaced? Were did you go?

09-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Wastegate Rattle Warranty, Turbos Replaced? Were did you go?

Well my Wastegates are rattling like crazy now. I had DP and Full Exhaust on but just took that off so i can go into a dealship and have it be as easy as possible.

My cars VIN falls under the the ones listed though the warranty fix but so far i am being told the BS run around the sound is normal. I went to Herb Chambers in Boston were i normally go to and they always treat me right as long as you deal with the SA Manager but my turbos were not covered. They did not charge me a service fee and also gave me a loaner so i cant complain but i want this fixed. What he did say is that they have to perform a boost pressure test on the turbos and if this is low then they are cause to replace the turbos even besides just the rattle. The rattle is really only one problem as i also have crazy smoke from bank one.

Has anybody had their turbos replaced in NE under the extended warranty and can recommend a good SA?

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

I did mine at inskip in RI. I took in the car telling them it was wastegate rattle. Showed the tech when I got there and was given a 2011 328 e92 xDrive for a free loaner (paid $12 fuel charge and had the car for a week). They ran the BMW tests and told me they were going to regulate the wastegates (which disappointed me quite honestly), then the next day they called back and said they were replacing the turbos.

Overall, I was without the car for a week, was given a great loaner, and was treated very well. I have always had great experience with inskip.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Island Road
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
I did mine at inskip in RI. I took in the car telling them it was wastegate rattle. Showed the tech when I got there and was given a 2011 328 e92 xDrive for a free loaner (paid $12 fuel charge and had the car for a week). They ran the BMW tests and told me they were going to regulate the wastegates (which disappointed me quite honestly), then the next day they called back and said they were replacing the turbos.

Overall, I was without the car for a week, was given a great loaner, and was treated very well. I have always had great experience with inskip.

Good luck!
Awesome thanks for the info. I did notice there you were under your warranty though. I bet this has some impact on how they treated your car. How bad was your rattle, anything like what i posted above?

I know there must be some other people within NE that had their turbos replaced outside of their regular warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
vindizzle9
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I just picked up my car from BMW of Peabody for the same wastegate rattling issue. I originally went to Herb Chambers where they adjusted the wastegate actuators. The issue was persistent so i decided to go to Peabody since it is more convenient from work. After putting a claim with BMW, they received the okay to replace both turbos under warranty. This process took them a week. They also provided me with a loaner. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Island Road
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindizzle9
I just picked up my car from BMW of Peabody for the same wastegate rattling issue. I originally went to Herb Chambers where they adjusted the wastegate actuators. The issue was persistent so i decided to go to Peabody since it is more convenient from work. After putting a claim with BMW, they received the okay to replace both turbos under warranty. This process took them a week. They also provided me with a loaner. Good luck!
Awesome! Thanks for the update, I was thinking of trying them now I am definitely going to make an appointment. Are u stock?

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
vindizzle9
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes, I'm completely stock. Anthony D. was my SA. He was very diligent with keeping informed with any updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindizzle9 View Post
Yes, I'm completely stock. Anthony D. was my SA. He was very diligent with keeping informed with any updates.
...Anthony Distefano might had sent you updates while driving around his family in your car...I am curious how many extra miles did he put on your 335 while in service for this? Because he "test" drove mine for ~ 27 miles...my car was some sort of "Weekend rental" for these guys as there was dried sand in the carpeting, children shoe marks on the back of my seats; my immaculate 335 was driven with the sunroof open /or he maybe forgot it open while the car was left outside his house in the rain. Not to mention both side skirts were dented, the back rear seat scratched etc.
Peabody used to have a professional Service team, today they suck, big time. They are still nice and have a nice waiting room with free Internet but things never get fixed, you need to bring the car back at least 3 times for every issue. I wouldn't recommend them.

Last edited by RMG; 09-16-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandroad83 View Post
Well my Wastegates are rattling like crazy now. I had DP and Full Exhaust on but just took that off so i can go into a dealship and have it be as easy as possible.

My cars VIN falls under the the ones listed though the warranty fix but so far i am being told the BS run around the sound is normal. I went to Herb Chambers in Boston were i normally go to and they always treat me right as long as you deal with the SA Manager but my turbos were not covered. They did not charge me a service fee and also gave me a loaner so i cant complain but i want this fixed. What he did say is that they have to perform a boost pressure test on the turbos and if this is low then they are cause to replace the turbos even besides just the rattle. The rattle is really only one problem as i also have crazy smoke from bank one.

Has anybody had their turbos replaced in NE under the extended warranty and can recommend a good SA?

...unfortunately I don't know a good BMW service center in MA. There are two places (based on my experience ) where you shouldn't go under any circumstances: Herb Chambers of Boston and BMW of Peabody. Good luck.

Last edited by RMG; 09-16-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG View Post
...unfortunately I don't know a good BMW service center in MA. There are two places (based on my experience ) where you shouldn't go under any circumstances: Herb Chambers of Boston and BMW of Peabody. Good luck.
Inskip is always awesome. Have had zero luck or good experience at Wagner in Shrewsbury.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobie View Post
Inskip is always awesome. Have had zero luck or good experience at Wagner in Shrewsbury.
... check my previous post about Wagner Certified Collision center http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717092, I've never been there for service but after my bad experience with their colleges at the collision center I suspect they shouldn't be any better . My car is still under warranty but at this point I have no idea where to go (if needed). All BMW service centers in MA apparently suck. Their level of professionalism has leveled across the state at "very low". It would be the right time for BMW of NA to step in, I am so frustrated at this point I want to write a letter to their Munich headquarters...their cars are great (had some minor issues ) but each time when mine was in for service they dented something and each and every time I had to spend the necessary hours back home to do it right. It is shameful.

Last edited by RMG; 09-16-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Marky70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Xi and 2010 X3

Great Dealer

I have had great experiences with North Haven BMW in North Haven CT. I know it is a drive , but I have never had a complaint or issue there. I have been to several dealerships in RI and have not been very happy for one reason or another. This dealership is very well run and they value the customer more than anything , a truly unique experience in any business today in this country.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
TwnTrboCAT1212
The Moose Whisperer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 GIAC S1 335xi 6-MT

Hey guys, I'm also plagued with the awful wastegate rattle...it sounds just like the video that the OP posted and I really cannot take it anymore...Only problem is I'm WAY out of warranty and currently have 82K miles on my 335...what are the chances that I could have my turbo's replaced or at least the problem somehow fixed even being out of warranty? I believe my car does fall under the time period or warrantied cars with this problem but the fine print Ive read says the warranty is only covered for a car up to 80K miles or 8 years...whichever comes first...I'm tuned and the car still seems to pull as hard as it did when I first got the tune but the sound has been there for a year now. Any input appreciated. Thanks,

~Chris~
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Island Road
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwnTrboCAT1212 View Post
Hey guys, I'm also plagued with the awful wastegate rattle...it sounds just like the video that the OP posted and I really cannot take it anymore...Only problem is I'm WAY out of warranty and currently have 82K miles on my 335...what are the chances that I could have my turbo's replaced or at least the problem somehow fixed even being out of warranty? I believe my car does fall under the time period or warrantied cars with this problem but the fine print Ive read says the warranty is only covered for a car up to 80K miles or 8 years...whichever comes first...I'm tuned and the car still seems to pull as hard as it did when I first got the tune but the sound has been there for a year now. Any input appreciated. Thanks,

~Chris~
The warranty is good for 82k miles, so i would get into a dealership ASAP just so at the minimum its documented at that millage. Normally BMW is fairly good with fixing an issue if it has a past history and has been a problem at a previous mileage.

Thanks for everybody's input, seems as though there are a ton of mixed reviews though. I thought for sure Peabody was going to the dealer i should be trying next even in other threads within NE users have suggested it. As of right now there was a problem with my car after i recevied it back form Herb Boston last week. I am taking it in today for a clicking sound when i turn the wheel and boost leak throwing crazy codes all happened right after i picked up my car. Very frustrating at the moment hopefully they can correct it without giving me the run around as this was not an issue before i brought in my car

I can say after this i will no longer be going with Herb, at this point I plan on just contacting BMWNA. I think i will be trying the RI inskip dealership or Sudbury dealership next based on a few positive reviews for the WG rattle warranty. I cant believe its this hard to obtain an honest dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
The warranty is good for 82k miles, so i would get into a dealership ASAP just so at the minimum its documented at that millage. Normally BMW is fairly good with fixing an issue if it has a past history and has been a problem at a previous mileage.

Thanks for everybody's input, seems as though there are a ton of mixed reviews though. I thought for sure Peabody was going to the dealer i should be trying next even in other threads within NE users have suggested it. As of right now there was a problem with my car after i recevied it back form Herb Boston last week. I am taking it in today for a clicking sound when i turn the wheel and boost leak throwing crazy codes all happened right after i picked up my car. Very frustrating at the moment hopefully they can correct it without giving me the run around as this was not an issue before i brought in my car

I can say after this i will no longer be going with Herb, at this point I plan on just contacting BMWNA. I think i will be trying the RI inskip dealership or Sudbury dealership next based on a few positive reviews for the WG rattle warranty. I cant believe its this hard to obtain an honest dealership.
fyi herb owns sudbury
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Anyone have a recommendation about BMW of Stratham (NH)? or Tulley BMW?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Sudbury is where its at if you get Kevin Waters.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the info. I did notice there you were under your warranty though. I bet this has some impact on how they treated your car. How bad was your rattle, anything like what i posted above?

I know there must be some other people within NE that had their turbos replaced outside of their regular warranty?
Hi, sorry I didn't realize you had replied to my post until right now. I don't think my wastegate rattle was as bad as yours (although it's hard to tell from the video)... You're correct that I was still under bumper to bumper when the car went in for service (picked it up after waranty expired. Just got in!). I wouod call them and make an appointment. You might need to pay the diagnostic fee, but I'm not sure how the new extended warranty works.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I have bought 3 cars at Tulley and their service has always been top notch, most of the guys I really like went to the new dealer in Manchester, but I still have no issues with Nashua.

Seems like you have to get out of MA to find a decent dealer!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Beakmoney
Private
Rep
Drives: Company car+07 335i

just got my car back about 2 hours ago from Inskip. Dropped it off yesterday, got an email from the advisor saying that the wastegate actuators needed to be replaced and the throw out bearing was toast. Finished up around 4pm today and I picked it up. Not one mention of JB4 and no issues with cat-less(VRSF) downpipes. As an added bonus, they properly adjusted the downpipes and they no longer rattle against the p/s floor!
Appreciate 1
TenOx3.00
      10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakmoney View Post
just got my car back about 2 hours ago from Inskip. Dropped it off yesterday, got an email from the advisor saying that the wastegate actuators needed to be replaced and the throw out bearing was toast. Finished up around 4pm today and I picked it up. Not one mention of JB4 and no issues with cat-less(VRSF) downpipes. As an added bonus, they properly adjusted the downpipes and they no longer rattle against the p/s floor!
Damn dude, that is some real efficient and honest service you got there. I guess I might just have to drive down to RI when I have a serious problem.. Btw is your car within warranty or the CPO?
      10-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
Beakmoney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Damn dude, that is some real efficient and honest service you got there. I guess I might just have to drive down to RI when I have a serious problem.. Btw is your car within warranty or the CPO?
I'm in factory warranty..If I were closer I'd have gone to Sudbury to see Kevin Waters...just didn't make any sense for me to drive 90 minutes from home when Inskip is a stones throw away.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
Beakmoney
Private
Rep

update: Two nights ago did a 3rd/4th gear pull, slowed and attempted to take off again...BAM 3psi. changed maps, set to stock, shut down, restarted, checked codes, etc..yesterday got the car back to inskip(runs/drives fine but NO power)..a wastegate actuator arm fell off its pivot...must remove the turbos to fix..got a new 528 for a loaner. they're also doing an oil change and alignment. I also brought up a strange shudder when accelerating over 50mph but at 3psi it is not existent so they'll investigate further monday.
overall still very satisfied with how they're handling everything...maybe i have more patience than most considering i'm a service advisor as well.
Appreciate 0