E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Can you code out neutral lock?

02-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 & 335i E93

Can you code out neutral lock?

When at a red light you can put the car in neutral but have to step on the brake to put it back in drive. Can this be coded out?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Aren't you already stepping on the brake at a stoplight anyway?

So why would there need to be an xtra step of hitting the brake again?

Guess I don't understand the reasoning behind going into neutral @ stop - unless you have manual tranny, in which case you're on the brake at a stoplight also
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, I'm looking for someone who knows something about coding, not for a opinion.

So if anyone knows if this can be done I'd appreciate it.

No opinions please like the post above. Just a waste of time and space.
Appreciate 1
Publius29.00
      02-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

I get why you want the interlock removed...

but you shouldn't move to neutral at lights or any other temporary stop it puts far more wear and tear on the gearbox than leaving it alone in D.

check what it says in the handbook... but I was brought up (as a vehicle tech) not to move to neutral...

but now in the world of stop start and amazing lubricants we pretend this massive extra load on things is good for the planet.

I wonder how much energy and pollution is used manufacturing an engine / gearbox / starter motor / battery and transporting them round the world vs a few grammes of co2 at the traffic lights.... (which if we got rid of them and had more decent drivers and roundabouts... would mean we don't need to stop)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6

Guess I don't understand the reasoning behind going into neutral @ stop - unless you have manual tranny, in which case you're on the brake at a stoplight also
Why would the brake pedal needed to be depressed in a manual to move in/out of neutral?

To the OP. There is a way to remove the feature but it is not via coding. Some valve you'd need to remove. I've never done it however just because of the unknown damages to transmission.
      02-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
I get why you want the interlock removed...

but you shouldn't move to neutral at lights or any other temporary stop it puts far more wear and tear on the gearbox than leaving it alone in D.
How would shifting to neutral cause any extra wear?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
cialz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

I think there is a physical valve that would need "work"

also in HS people would shift their trannys into n to give the manual roll back feel. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't know about the extra wear. I wouldn't think so.

Every other car I've been allows you to shift between drive and neutral without pressing the pedal. They won't go into Reverse though (which is good) without using the brake pedal. Only BMW is different (surprise!!) that I know of. Its just a convenience thing living in the flat lands of Illinois with the long lights of the Chicago area.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

inside an auto box with engine running at tickover with vehicle at standstill, all that's happening is a bit of oil doing nothing worthwhile inside the torque converter

by taking it in an out of gear unnecessarily you are activating clutch and bands back and forth wearing out both the actuator and the friction surfaces for no useful benefit....

indeed by shifting to neutral (and so not needing to leave foot on the brake pedal) the car is now able to roll around and or hit things when hit by another vehicle unless you use the handbrake.

on a merc they have a feature to allow you to fix the brakes on so it doesn't move when left in gear at the lights... press the brake pedal extra hard when stopped the brakes remember to stay on themselves.... 2006 E class has it and a mate with 2011 C class said he has as well, when it notices you are applying throttle again they come off automatically

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-25-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
by taking it in an out of gear unnecessarily you are activating clutch and bands back and forth wearing out both the actuator and the friction surfaces for no useful benefit....
How is that any different than shifting from drive to park, or from park to drive?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
How is that any different than shifting from drive to park, or from park to drive?

you must shift from P to D to go anywhere... like starting a cold engine it produces wear but is necessary.... same with reversing or parking. But once running and driving about you incur no undue wear on an autobox if you leave in D. But if every small stop you shift to N you will incur unnecessary wear (for little to no benefit)
Appreciate 0