E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW User Experience

07-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
MattGrantham
2008 e93 335i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

BMW User Experience

Hey folks,

I posted earlier about the e93 I just got and how much I'm loving it.

The one thing that irks me however is the user experience and learning curve with these cars. I have a non-iDrive for what it's worth. Reading the manual is like cramming for an exam and I'm left with more questions than answers.

Questions:

- I have an iPhone with bluetooth setup. Why does my address book, recent calls, top 8, etc appear empty?

- How do I setup the personal profile for each keyfob?

- How can I tell whether or not I have "convenient access"?

- Are the 2 seat/mirror memory settings independent of which fob is used? If it's possible to assign a memory setting to a fob how is it done?

- How do I program the buttons on the steering wheel?

- What is triple turn signal activation and how does it work?

- When it rains the wipers don't seem to come on automatically. Is this an option that I possibly don't have? How do I tell? If I do have it how do I confirm that it's enabled/on?

- How can I tell if I have adaptive cruise control?

- Is traction control off by default? When the DTC light is displayed in the dashboard does that mean it's on? Shouldn't it be on at all times unless racing, drifting, etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

Do you mean comfort access? If so, look for the ridges on the door handle.

The triple turn signal option you select with the turn signal stalk menu access.

You likely have the rain-sensitive windshield wipers (I think it's standard equipment).

You select it with the push button on the stalk on the right of the steering wheel (and a small light will come on at the end of the stalk).

Active cruise control? A pricey option you likely don't have. Maybe there are radar sensors on the front bumper? Dynamic cruise is standard equipment.

g/l, the rest of your questions are making my head explode.

Last edited by GarySL; 07-05-2011 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: spp/clarification
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

All of these answers are in the manual; plus most of this information has been posted on this forum.

Read the manual (you will be better off in the long run) and search the forums.

You're questions are so basic, it's obvious you have done no research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGrantham View Post
Hey folks,

I posted earlier about the e93 I just got and how much I'm loving it.

The one thing that irks me however is the user experience and learning curve with these cars. I have a non-iDrive for what it's worth. Reading the manual is like cramming for an exam and I'm left with more questions than answers.

Questions:

- I have an iPhone with bluetooth setup. Why does my address book, recent calls, top 8, etc appear empty?

- How do I setup the personal profile for each keyfob?

- How can I tell whether or not I have "convenient access"?

- Are the 2 seat/mirror memory settings independent of which fob is used? If it's possible to assign a memory setting to a fob how is it done?

- How do I program the buttons on the steering wheel?

- What is triple turn signal activation and how does it work?

- When it rains the wipers don't seem to come on automatically. Is this an option that I possibly don't have? How do I tell? If I do have it how do I confirm that it's enabled/on?

- How can I tell if I have adaptive cruise control?

- Is traction control off by default? When the DTC light is displayed in the dashboard does that mean it's on? Shouldn't it be on at all times unless racing, drifting, etc?
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
MattGrantham
2008 e93 335i
Canada
Rep

B.Corso: I've read through most of the manual but it's pretty high-level in some areas and vague in others. You may have missed the portion of my original post where I mentioned that I have a non-iDrive vehicle voiding most of the instructions and settings detailed in the manual.

For example the personal profile section mentions how I can set preferences for things like door locking, confirmation signals, automatic call-up, etc. but only provides iDrive instructions. Is this functionality simply not available to non-iDrive vehicles?

I understand the need to "learn" a car over a period of time but the fact that I need to do research on the most basic of functionality is a bit annoying.

As far as usability goes here's an example of what I'm talking about: When dynamic traction control is on there is no indicator (cool). But when I turn traction control off an indicator appears labeled "DTC". Shouldn't the indicator be a DTC icon crossed out or in red or something?

Whatever, still loving my car, am just trying to get answers to some of these questions which are proving difficult to answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
YoYosE90
Lurking Member and prior E46Fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 6MT 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGrantham View Post
When dynamic traction control is on there is no indicator (cool). But when I turn traction control off an indicator appears labeled "DTC". Shouldn't the indicator be a DTC icon crossed out or in red or something?
DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is on. When you press the button, it is DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) on only. DTC is just a sub component of DSC. DSC will give you the full control intervention. DTC gives you a little more room to push to the limit. if you hold the button for a few more seconds, you'll get the icon with a triangle and exclamation point. That is fully off, no stability/traction intervention except for ABS. You will always have ABS on. Like the others said, it is in the book and very basic questions you're asking.

From the manual:

"When DTC is active, DSC provides only limited system response up to a speed of approx. 45 mph/70 km/h. Control intervention for stability-enhancement is reduced"

When you have DTC active you have limited stability (only traction control) DSC is thus limited to only traction control. When DSC is fully on, you have traction control AND braking control to individual wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

Maybe you should download the PDF version of the user manual, which is text searchable. That might make it easier to locate the answers you are looking for. You can download it from BMW's website.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

As said above, all of this info is in the manual. The programming is controlled through the turn signal stalk in sub menus.

I agree the manual can be a pain but if you take your time and do it step by step as outlined in the manual it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Sit in the car and start it but don't drive it. Setup all the features you can using the top stalk on the left. Setup the mirrors, seat, turn signal setting, radio preferences, ac etc etc etc. When you turn off the car all these settings will be stored on that key fob. The setup the other key fob do the same procedure above using the other drives preferences.

-------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]

- I have an iPhone with bluetooth setup. Why does my address book, recent calls, top 8, etc appear empty? <This does not "sync" your information from your phone, I think BMW Apps will do that, but you need the Nav

- How do I setup the personal profile for each keyfob? < get in, setup your car the way you want it. Done, it will remember how the car was last used, *just by using the car and its menus*

- How can I tell whether or not I have "convenient access"? I think someone already posted this, but basically, ribs on the door handle, or try and start the car with the key fob out of ignition

- Are the 2 seat/mirror memory settings independent of which fob is used? If it's possible to assign a memory setting to a fob how is it done? <mirror memory I'm pretty sure is set via fob, not sure about seats, I'll have to RTFM

- How do I program the buttons on the steering wheel? You don't

- What is triple turn signal activation and how does it work? Slightly pull the signal down, it will blink 3 times then stop, pulling it down fully will engage it like a "normal" signal

- When it rains the wipers don't seem to come on automatically. Is this an option that I possibly don't have? How do I tell? If I do have it how do I confirm that it's enabled/on? Light on the wiper stalk = on. You will have to set this every time.

- How can I tell if I have adaptive cruise control? You probably don't

- Is traction control off by default? When the DTC light is displayed in the dashboard does that mean it's on? Shouldn't it be on at all times unless racing, drifting, etc? < If you are asking these questions on this forum, don't touch the damn button.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
MattGrantham
2008 e93 335i
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the info guys and sorry for being so annoying about this stuff.

Turns out the manual I got with the car was for iDrive equipped vehicles. I've subsequently downloaded the manual for non-iDrive vehicles and all is good in the world
Appreciate 0