E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Daylights problem - one of the rings not working

01-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
dchaushev
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d xdrive 2008

Daylights problem - one of the rings not working

Hey everyone!
I have an issue with one of the daylights on my 2008 facelift E90.

So, yesterday I got the message on the iDrive saying that the right daylight is faulty. I checked it and it was indeed not working. Today I took the car to the local auto service specialized in BMW to change the light bulb. They changed it and after I started the car, one of the rings was not lit.

The guys working there said that the problem is from inside the headlight. That there was some lens, reflecting the light from the smaller ring to the bigger one and that the lens has moved/tilted and that's why the bigger ring is not lit.
They also said that the fix is quite complicated, because the headlight is encapsulated. They had to cut it, to fix the lens and then close it again. The whole thing would take 2-3 days and will cost 250 bucks. For a second they did't accept that the bulb may be wrongly inserted, and were surprised when I said that everything was working fine the day before.

I am attaching images of the two headlights. You can see on the faulty one that the light is indeed tilted to the right compared to the one that's working fine.

I was looking on the net for similar problem, but did't find anything. So I am looking for opinions and I am wondering If anyone else has encountered something familiar?

I can try to take out and put in the bulb again, but it is raining here and I don't have a garage and I don't want to risk it. That's why I have them do it in the first place.
Attached Images

Last edited by dchaushev; 01-17-2017 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: making attached photos smaller
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

hard to say, but don't both left and right look the same.... I actually am one of those folks who had a very hard time changing out the H8 for the angel eyes, spent over an hour, cut my thumb and there's blood on the headlight. I even dropped the original into the headlight housing, and consider myself lucky that I could get it out...very bizarre I didn't see all that coming. Not looking forward to the driver side burning out! But I do know one trick, it is essential to know/document how the original unscrews, from what position. Sounds crazy, but it would likely enable the job to be under 10 min.

edit H8 not H7 above

Last edited by John 070; 01-17-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
dchaushev
Registered
Rep

John, mine is the facelift version. The bulbs are replaced directly above the headlight itself. No need to remove the tyre. The guy literally did it for 5 minutes. You just need to unscrew three screws and you are there. Also, it is with the H8 for the angel eyes.
On the pictures, if you see where the light is going you will see the difference. Also, on the faulty side the bigger ring is not lit at all. I should've take a photo in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I checked what I ordered, they were H8 and I didn't have to remove the tire. Dunno, I definitely do not have a LCI....if yours are that easy to replace, I'd try removing the bulb and seeing what's going on, they're just light tubes...I see your turn signal is not like mine so you have the LCI as mentioned...

PHILIPS 12360 (12360B1) Fog / Driving Light Bulb
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

It looks to me like the bulb wasn't inserted correctly. Pull the round bulb cover off and make sure the bulb is correctly mounted. It has 3 mounting tabs in a "T" configuration, and if not inserted correctly, the bulb will point off to the side. I know you don't have LED bulbs, but this installation guide off the Lux Angel Eyes site might help:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...tallE90LCI.pdf
      01-18-2017, 03:26 AM   #6
dchaushev
Registered
Rep

Thanks, DJtoad! I will try it when I have some extra time and will update the thread with what happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
dchaushev
Registered
Rep

Update year and a half later.
I re-inserted the bulb myself. Everything is fine now. DJtoad was right. Apparently the guys from the auto service who originally inserted the bulb and said that this is a problem in the headlight and offered to "fix it" for about $200 is just a scammer. Good I didn't buy it.
Appreciate 0