E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2013 Map updates - USB Stick

12-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #111
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Hey guys, did the USB stick you ordered from Tischer have an official BMW part number with it? I'm trying to find the Mini version of the USB media for their Navigation system for my mother's Countryman. If I knew what the BMW part number was for their USB stick, I could find the Mini version. (Mini uses a different update media than the BMW Professional)

Thanks!
Well the stick they send is a Lexar one with nice BWM logo on it. The case it comes in has a bar code and number of 65 90 2 338 094. I believe that is the P/N.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #112
WhiteShadows
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

It worked on my 9/29/08 build with the CIC iDrive! Thanks so much for everyones input, and of course jwzimm for starting the torrent. You guys are awesome!

One thing I was hoping to see in the update (but didn't) is the Auto Day/Night mode. Is that something that's hardware related?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #113
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwhiterooms6 View Post
One thing I was hoping to see in the update (but didn't) is the Auto Day/Night mode. Is that something that's hardware related?
This is hardware related and won't be provided by map updates.

The auto day/night mode debuted in the 09 F01 (7 Series) but the E90 didn't get it.

To make it simple switching back and forth from day to night is by programming one of your buttons 1 through 6 to do it. That way you just press (in my case, I chose 6) the button and it switches, bam, easy.

To program your 1 through 6 button for a radio station or for a feature, you go to that feature or option in your iDrive menu and hover over it. Then you press and hold the button number of your choice to store it.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #114
Mauryk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Downloaded, seeding.
2010 E90 335i Xdrive| Titanium Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Premium, Sport, Nav, Cold | Steptronic | matte black grilles | Cyba scoops | pinstripes | Rear Fog Mod | Clear Reflectors | WeissLicht AE |More to come...|
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #115
Mattah
Private
Rep
Drives: MS

Done! Seeding aswell! Took about 10 hours to download, and 50 mins to install. Super easy.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #116
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It worked on my 9/29/08 build with the CIC iDrive! Thanks so much for everyones input, and of course jwzimm for starting the torrent. You guys are awesome!

I am going to try and code mine and see if this code works to add the AUTO feature:

NAVI_MAPMODE_AUTOMATIC

It doesn't work on some years, 2010 or 2011. I think we have the same version the 09 F01 has, so we can enable it. Since the combox, they might have taken out the auto feature.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #117
harry$
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
I am going to try and code mine and see if this code works to add the AUTO feature:

NAVI_MAPMODE_AUTOMATIC

It doesn't work on some years, 2010 or 2011. I think we have the same version the 09 F01 has, so we can enable it. Since the combox, they might have taken out the auto feature.
Do you have a more detailed step by step on how to possibly impalement this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #118
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry$ View Post
Do you have a more detailed step by step on how to possibly impalement this?

Thanks.
Visit the coding forum. You have to have the cable and all the software files to do it, or get someone in your area who does coding to do it for you. I will report back next week to see if I can enable it on my car, build of 09/2008.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #119
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCo View Post
Thankfully, the process is much simpler than that DIY.

The file that is available on the torrents, once download is completed, will contain 1 folder (called pkgdb) and a file called config.nfm

I simply copied that folder and file onto a formatted (fat32 in my case) 32gb flash drive.

In terms of installation, I inserted the USB drive into the glovebox USB port and powered up the car (accessory mode or car start). I did accessory mode, but turned off climate fan/angel eyes and auto headlights to minimize battery drain.

Once the Nav has booted, a screen will pop up telling you a navigation update is available and asks if you want to upgrade. Hit 'yes' and it will prompt you for the FSC code. Once a valid code is entered, it will transfer the upgrade files to the hard drive (took me about 30 minutes - so much faster than the DVD's!). After the upgrade, it will ask you to reboot the system. Hit OK and your CiC goes dark and boots back up with the applied Nav update.

If for any reason the process is interrupted, it will pick up where you left off next time you power it up. No need to enter the FSC code more than once.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! This worked for me. Didn't seem to like an external hard drive in an enclosure, but a 32gb stick got the update going. I did have to plug in the drive after the nav booted - or maybe I didn't wait long enough the first time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #120
WhiteShadows
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post

NAVI_MAPMODE_AUTOMATIC

I've read that you can get it to show as an option through coding, but it does nothing when selected. Let me know if you it works. And thanks for the programmable button idea. I've been trying to figure out what to use them for LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #121
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Got the code from ******* and updated mine as well. I even turned the car off a couple times since I was running errands and didn't want to leave the car running in the parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #122
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

I'm having issues with my internet. Would anyone who has successfully downloaded the torrent be willing to burn it onto a USB drive for me if I were to mail you one and pay for the return postage? Or be willing to mail me the USB drive you used for the map update and I'll mail it back to you?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #123
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

I downloaded it two days ago and have been seeding ever since. I will hopefully continue seeding for the foreseeable future as long as there are downloaders. Thanks to all who made this possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #124
WhiteShadows
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
I'm having issues with my internet. Would anyone who has successfully downloaded the torrent be willing to burn it onto a USB drive for me if I were to mail you one and pay for the return postage? Or be willing to mail me the USB drive you used for the map update and I'll mail it back to you?
I'll send you the one I used, if you'd like? PM your info.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #125
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
I'll send you the one I used, if you'd like? PM your info.
PM sent. Appreciate it, bud.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #126
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

FYI, since the torrent appears to be nice and healthy now I am going to drop off of seeding so my speeds at home improve. Please PM me or post here if you need me to start seeding again.

It really is amazing how fast these things can take off once the data spreads. It is a little like a virus.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #127
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
FYI, since the torrent appears to be nice and healthy now I am going to drop off of seeding so my speeds at home improve. Please PM me or post here if you need me to start seeding again.

It really is amazing how fast these things can take off once the data spreads. It is a little like a virus.
Yea definitely. I seeded all weekend but my internet connection wasnt being used much. Had to stop now that i need the faster connection myself again.
      12-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #128
SARBlade
Berliner
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive; Coupe; Grau

Just finished my upgrade as well. I followed DrMcCo's approach and it worked flawlessly, once I had the right USB stick (my first one had a bad sector and would stop the copy of the files at around 16GB!). Further to the USB used, I bought a V3.0 with a read/write speed of 70/50, this uploaded the maps into the car in about 30 minutes. Sat and listened to Sirius Radio to pass the time. I also want to thank JwZimm for his torrent, couldn't have done it without you!! I am seeding now for payback!! I can now navigate right to my garage, before there was no street.

Got the FSC from Sergej as well, man he was quick, 10 minutes!! Good man to deal with if you require his specific service!
      12-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #129
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Another successful upgrade here. Got my FSC code from Sergej (like others, very fast service, *very* reasonably priced, worked perfectly). At first I attempted to do the upgrade with a portable HD (500GB) with a USB cable pigtail. No dice. The drive was originally formatted as NTFS and it didn't work, reformatted it to exFAT (the only other choice with an HD this size under Windows 7) and it didn't work either. I didn't have any 32GB flash drives and I couldn't see any way to easily divide up the files onto smaller (16GB) flash drives, so for $19.99 I bought a 32GB SanDisk flash drive at my local Staples. It's pre-formatted FAT32, which I believe is the required format. It doesn't matter if it is USB 2.0 or 3.0--our cars are only 2.0 so you won't get any benefit from a 3.0 drive. Copied the files over (which took about 40 minutes on my PC because of the file sizes) turned the ignition on, plugged in the flash drive to the USB port in the glovebox and about 30-45 seconds after the iDrive booted up the message came on the screen saying there was a navigation update available. Select 'start update' and off you go. As others have mentioned, this method is *much* faster than using the DVDs. The car fell asleep a couple of times during the update (about 30-40 minutes), but once I turned on the ignition again, the navigation update message comes up again and you just select 'start update' again and it will quickly pick up where it left off.

iDrive needs to reboot once it's done. If you go right in and look at the navigation version on the screen immediately after the reboot it might be blank. This is normal. Let the car go to sleep and then start it up again and run it and it should show the correct 2013 version.

Oh, and my '09 E93 is a 01/09 build and I had no issues doing the update so the rumor that the older CIC cars can't do this update via USB does appear to be untrue.

I'm still seeding the map torrent so get it while you can.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #130
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Thanks for the note about trying a HDD; I'd thought about trying it but instead just picked up a USB stick at Microcenter on my way home yesterday.

2010 E93, 9/01/09 build. It sees the 2013 update via USB, but for the 2012 update I had to use DVDs as it wouldn't see the USB. *shrug* Sergej came through with FSC as fast as ever and I'll start the update later today. I highly recommend going through Sergej (*****************), he's been great both times I've worked with him.

I'm also seeding the map torrent for a few more days.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #131
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
It doesn't matter if it is USB 2.0 or 3.0--our cars are only 2.0 so you won't get any benefit from a 3.0 drive.
I agree the only reason I suggested the USB 3.0 flash drives is because I'm assuming that they will later be repurposed for something else, and also it takes less time to copy the files from your PC's HDD to the flash drive if you have a USB 3.0 flash drive and USB 3.0 port on your PC.

I have discovered one quirk with the PQI USB 3.0 flash drive that I recommended however. It seems to not be an issue in the BMW but in my Jeep which has a JVC head unit when I start the vehicle the head unit apparently boots up quickly but the flash drive takes longer to be recognized than the USB 2.0 PNY 32GB flash drive than I was previously using. What that means is that every time I start the Jeep even if I was listening to the radio, the head unit thinks that I inserted the flash drive after I powered up the HU and therefore switches over to playing .mp3s, starting with Track 1 of the first folder on there (an old Aerosmith album...)

OK end digression...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #132
OKstate11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 xDrive

Just bought my 2009 328 xDrive on Saturday and need to post at least 3 times before I can PM Sergej to get the code. Can't wait to do the upgrade.
Appreciate 0