E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Study: Your All-Electric Car May Not Be So Green

12-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Lightbulb Study: Your All-Electric Car May Not Be So Green

Study: Your All-Electric Car May Not Be So Green

People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power may think they are helping the environment. But a new study finds their vehicles actually make the air dirtier...

"It's kind of hard to beat gasoline" for public and environmental health, said study co-author Julian Marshall, an engineering professor at the University of Minnesota. "A lot of the technologies that we think of as being clean ... are not better than gasoline."

The study examines environmental costs for cars' entire life cycle, including where power comes from and the environmental effects of building batteries.

The study finds all-electric vehicles cause 86 percent more deaths from air pollution than do cars powered by regular gasoline.
      12-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Not surprised! At that just about air pollution. If you add water and soil pollution (lithium mining, making into foam etc.) they are really bad. That may change with super capacitors (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Completely depends on the type of power generation used to fuel the car. If you are in a country that mostly use nuclear power, the improvements is tremendous. If running an electric car means churning a coal power plant at higher rates, obviously, there's not much to gain there.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Been saying this for awhile, and not to mention the amount of pollution generated by the cars' entire manufacturing process (making the battery, import/export, etc). A lot of people don't think about that. They just look at the benefits from when the car is in the showroom on.

I'll stick with the "old fashioned" gasoline and internal combustion for awhile. Apparently, I'm saving the environment with my 3.0L Turbo I6, even more so as I live in one of those mentioned coal-burning states.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Though I don't care about this since in my lifetime I won't see much. What about the process that it takes to make gasoline/diesel? Does it not take the same amount of energy and pollution to make it? Plus ALL the components in a vehicles fuel system AND the places where you get fuel AND the distributors to get the fuel to those facilities?

I don't see that mentioned in the article, I guess they left that out for a reason. But there is never nothing 100% "green" because it will always take some type of energy to produce materials. Unless we have solar powered plants, solar powered vehicles....then years down the road, they'll be close to that 100% "green" status.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

I think its a fallacy really that electric cars are "better" for the environment. It's somehow overlooked that electricity comes from fossil fuel burning power plants and nuclear. But nuclear aside when you plug in that hybrid vehicle the power is coming from a gas turbine or coal plant that is burning gas and or liquid fuel. They themselves have exhaust stacks and will consume thousands of gallons/min of fuel. Just my honest opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

By the way, why do "alternative" fuel vehicles get to have their own parking spot towards the front of the row? Doesn't matter really since I park there anyways. I should start driving a big diesel truck then let some yahoo say "Thats not an electric/hybrid car!". Oh well the sign says "alternative", well diesel is an alternative fuel from gasoline right? Low joes.......don't even get me started about hybrids and all those activists.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
But nuclear aside when you plug in that hybrid vehicle the power is coming from a gas turbine or coal plant that is burning gas and or liquid fuel.
Just a side note, hybrid cars (not electric plugin car) do not have the problem illustrated by the article. They do consume a whole lot less gas (overall, from factory to graveyard), and they also generate a lot less harmful particles and chemicals when used in city environment, where it matters most.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

So taking advantage of electricity that's already there is somehow worse than using gas? I mean your house is already powered and it does not take that much extra for you to charge a car... You guys make it sound as if they have to go throw more coal on the fire because somebody plugged a car in the socket lol
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
So taking advantage of electricity that's already there is somehow worse than using gas? I mean your house is already powered and it does not take that much extra for you to charge a car... You guys make it sound as if they have to go throw more coal on the fire because somebody plugged a car in the socket lol
How is the electricity at your "powered" house "already there?"

You plug in a toaster, your usage goes up. You plug in a car, it will go up more. More usage = more production.

Do you think it's magic?
      12-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Quote:

You plug in a toaster, your usage goes up. You plug in a car, it will go up more. More usage = more production.

Do you think it's magic?
I'm not an idiot, you guys are complaining about $50 extra a month in electric costs? Really???
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
The environmental effect of making the batteries is probably where things go awry. Somehow people seem to forget all about that mess.
      12-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
The environmental effect of making the batteries is probably where things go awry. Somehow people seem to forget all about that mess.
That would be a better argument, but then again is it worse than oil spills in the gulf etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
That would be a better argument, but then again is it worse than oil spills in the gulf etc?
That *is* the argument. Note that the study that inspired this thread accounted for the manufacturing of the batteries.
Equating an accident like an oil spill with the normal production of batteries is ridiculous.
      12-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
I'm not an idiot, you guys are complaining about $50 extra a month in electric costs? Really???
Who was referencing cost of electricity? Where do you think electricity comes from? The electric co-op doesn't just wave a magic wand.
      12-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Just a side note, hybrid cars (not electric plugin car) do not have the problem illustrated by the article. They do consume a whole lot less gas (overall, from factory to graveyard), and they also generate a lot less harmful particles and chemicals when used in city environment, where it matters most.
I used the term hybrid loosely. I meant any of those cars requiring plug in charges.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #17
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lol electricity that is always there. Go turn on every appliance in your house and every light and go watch the meter spin out of control as you use up those kilowatts that are "already" there. Do it for a month and let me know how much that free energy cost.

What you're not aware of is how inefficiently that electricity is produced. There hasn't been any nuclear facility installs for quite some time and many a coal plant here in the NE in particular have been decommissioned or used sparingly because of the price of gas. So that leaves gas turbines which are very inefficient even in a combined cycle configuration; relatively speaking. So when more of us jump to electric cars and demand goes up they will have to install more of these turbines. Which produce far more particulates than a single vehicle. And they run 24 hours a day 7 days a week in some instances depending on the market.

And batteries...well don't they have a 10year life span? Where are we going to bury those?

Last edited by Hierlevelz; 12-21-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

Do you think it's magic?
What he is saying, there is little "extra" electricity being diverted to your house since you want to charge your car. And I'm sure that extra bit power being made isn't a dramatic change in the exhaust from the plant to make THAT much of a difference.

Honestly, coal power plants in America are dropping in numbers. Want to know who uses coal the most? China. We might be #2 but they are the primary one uses coal and double our usage.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
What he is saying, there is little "extra" electricity being diverted to your house since you want to charge your car. And I'm sure that extra bit power being made isn't a dramatic change in the exhaust from the plant to make THAT much of a difference.

Honestly, coal power plants in America are dropping in numbers. Want to know who uses coal the most? China. We might be #2 but they are the primary one uses coal and double our usage.
Fair! China is making a big push on EVs though. Fun thing to think about considering your last point.
      12-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

And China DGAF about the environment either.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
By the way, why do "alternative" fuel vehicles get to have their own parking spot towards the front of the row? Doesn't matter really since I park there anyways. I should start driving a big diesel truck then let some yahoo say "Thats not an electric/hybrid car!". Oh well the sign says "alternative", well diesel is an alternative fuel from gasoline right? Low joes.......don't even get me started about hybrids and all those activists.
I actually do park in those parking spots because of the efficiency of the 335d, lol.
      12-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #22
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

I already thought something about these hybrid cars was off overall. It concerns me more with more and more electronics cars have also that come time to scrap them, I hope its done properly (remove battery, other components).

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0