E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OIL LEAK?!

01-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
OIL LEAK?!

Hey!

Been awhile since I last posted on this site. I did an oil change back in September before storing my car for the winter. I did accidentally spill quite a bit of oil all over my engine as I was filling the oil up. I also did fill in a quart of extra oil into my engine as it was not registering on my Idrive. So I kept filling until it started to register. It did throw a code P3447 when I filled the engine back up with oil and the Idrive indicated the engine oil level was low. I believe P3447 i sfor low engine oil.

Currently the indicator indicates my engine oil level is at max so I am assuming I did not over fill it to a dangerous amount. I have noticed my car is slowly leaking one or two small drops of oil every night and I have yet to figure out what is causing it. I am unsure if it is still residual oil that is slowly making its way down the engine bay 4 months later or if that extra oil that was filled into my engine has caused a leak. I have cleaned the oil filter gasket and that seems to have no issues.

My car still drives with no issues and it is currently set up as a FBO.

I guess my next step is to use a degreaser and clean my engine bay and possibly use a UV solution to try and trace the leak.

If anyone has experience this before, it would be nice to hear what could be causing this.
      01-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Oil requirement is 6.5L or 6.9qt
With this amount the level should read max.

Also you have to drive the car around for a bit before the right level is shown.

As for the leak, raise the car, and try to trace the oil leak.
You already know the probable culprits; valve cover gasket, oil filter housing, oil pan gasket
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Thanks!

I do have my car booked in to replace the valve cover gasket so hopeuflly that is the issue. Might as well get my power steering fluid flushed and changed. Im starting to hear it squeak as I turn.