E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Intermittent "Charging Error"

03-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
AJL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Intermittent "Charging Error"

Okay, I need some help ya'll..

A couple months ago, I started getting a "Charging Error" message on iDrive and the dashboard. Turning the car off and back on will clear the message. I ended up just charging the battery, and didn't have a problem again until yesterday. Not sure if that was just dumb luck, or what. When the error pops up, the battery stops charging (confirmed w/ MHD logger). Obviously my first fear is the alternator going out, but I have nothing to confirm that. Being a $600 part, I want to be sure before just throwing parts at the problem.

Both the battery and alternator test fine.
Here are the codes thrown:

Active Codes:
2CF4 - Oxygen sensor before catalytic convert, dynamics: Slow response.
3446 - BSD, message; oil condition sensor: Missing.
378F - BSD, message; electric coolant pump: Missing.
3792 - Engine cooling system: Coolant pump speed outside the tolerance.
3847 Generator, Kommunikation: Bus-Fehler (Generator, communication: bus error)
384A Generator, Plausibilitat, elektrisch: berechnet (Generator, plausibility, electric: calculated)
38A4 - BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Missing.

There was also one shadow/inactive code:
2D2F - Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter: Multiple fault.

I know the oil sensor, coolant pump, alternator, and IBS sensor all run on the BSD bus. What I don't know, is how fault tolerant that bus is. If one device sends a bad signal, does it make the entire thing crap its pants? If that's the case, then it could be any of those things causing the error.

It's worth noting that I'm at 82k miles on my original coolant pump. I've heard of a failing coolant pump causing BSD errors, but I have not had any overheating problems.
Appreciate 0