E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Write off vehicle

06-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Write off vehicle

Hi, may I ask how can I tell if a car is written off?
I know that I can check online for any write off in each state, but for example, how can I ensure that a car is not written off before if a car is repairable written off in qld and is bought by a dealer in vic, fixing it and register in vic?
I guess that would have no record of the write off when I check the car status in vic? (Since I found that every state has their own way to check if a car is written off....)
Or the write off system is the same across the whole Australia?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavehman View Post
have you tried google for any of these questions ?

It really is a great search engine and can help you find the answer to many of your queries.
or even the search button to the whole forum, its pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
Hi, may I ask how can I tell if a car is written off?
I know that I can check online for any write off in each state, but for example, how can I ensure that a car is not written off before if a car is repairable written off in qld and is bought by a dealer in vic, fixing it and register in vic?
I guess that would have no record of the write off when I check the car status in vic? (Since I found that every state has their own way to check if a car is written off....)
Or the write off system is the same across the whole Australia?
what are the sites you've found for each state?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
what are the sites you've found for each state?
The car is currently for sales in VIC,
I have purchased a certificate on PPRS.gov.au with $3.95, then I found that the car was originally registered in NSW, then I went to myrta.com to check the previous status of the car in NSW, but if I would like to know if the car has been written off before in NSW, I have to purchase a comprehensive certificate which costs another $18.....

I am just wonder if I have to check the history of the car in NSW as well? Or the certificate that I bought from PPRS.gov.au would be good enough to show that the car is not written off in VIC, nor any other states?

(The "write off" section on the certificate from PPRS said there is "no data", but just for peace of mind, I want to know if it is written off in its original state - NSW since there are different organisations in different states to keep the vehicle history.....)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavehman View Post
have you tried google for any of these questions ?

It really is a great search engine and can help you find the answer to many of your queries.
I have searched already, and have even bought a certificate from PPRS in vic. But the car was originally registered in nsw, just wonder if I have to purchase the certificate again from the nsw site? (They are different organisation...)

So, I wonder if the information kept in each state share with the other states.....?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

I think the best way to save your time and trouble is to set yourself a budget then go sriaight to BMW dealer, buy BMW Premium Seletion Used Vehicles, all comes with 100 point inspection, 12 months 25000km scheduled servicing, 12 months bmw warranty, 12 months roadside assi, complete service history, and the best part yet, guarantee genuine parts and accessonries, and you also can extend your warranty. yes, you may not always get what you want for that money, but you've been suffed enough to choose which car to buy in the insecure way(e.g buy from a complete stranger on the net). Do yourself a favour! Go to your local BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
(The "write off" section on the certificate from PPRS said there is "no data", but just for peace of mind, I want to know if it is written off in its original state - NSW since there are different organisations in different states to keep the vehicle history.....)
ppsr is meant to incorporate every states write off database. so if it doesnt come up on ppsr, its safe to say its not a write off. remember... ppsr is a govt endorsed check.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
ppsr is meant to incorporate every states write off database. so if it doesnt come up on ppsr, its safe to say its not a write off. remember... ppsr is a govt endorsed check.
Thanks so much.
I think so too, but just want to double check with anyone who knows more.

Sorry, yes, in fact, I could ring up PPRS to clarify, but i thought it is also a good idea to bring up here in case that would make anyone aware of how the write off system works here in australia too? anyway, sorry for any inconvenience caused or if i have bothered anyone here.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Just ask the dealer they lose there license if they lie about if it has been in a writeoff.

But most upmarket dealers wont sell write offs just because its not worth there time and how it looks on them.

Also its not hard to tell what has been in a serious accident or not

- Look for uneven panel gaps (not always a sign of an accident) some cars are just built that way.

- File marks(they look like scratches under the paint) on particuarly the 3quarter panel! (once again most cars on the road have been scraped once or twice and may have file marks because of it)

- Unevenness in the paint

- How it drives compared other cars you've test drove

- A quick look under the car to see if anything is different!

- Looking under the bonnet for fillers, crumple marks just stuff not from the factory

- In the spare wheel well in looking for fillers and crumple marks.

Once again it's not hard to tell
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100 View Post
Just ask the dealer they lose there license if they lie about if it has been in a writeoff.

But most upmarket dealers wont sell write offs just because its not worth there time and how it looks on them.

Also its not hard to tell what has been in a serious accident or not

- Look for uneven panel gaps (not always a sign of an accident) some cars are just built that way.

- File marks(they look like scratches under the paint) on particuarly the 3quarter panel! (once again most cars on the road have been scraped once or twice and may have file marks because of it)

- Unevenness in the paint

- How it drives compared other cars you've test drove

- A quick look under the car to see if anything is different!

- Looking under the bonnet for fillers, crumple marks just stuff not from the factory

- In the spare wheel well in looking for fillers and crumple marks.

Once again it's not hard to tell

Thanks a lot, I am going to arrange an independent mechanical check anyway.
But just came up the question of if each state's write off register will incorporate the ones in other states too...since each transport department in state tells you that a car history certificate is available...

If the certificate tells the whole picture of a car, I wonder why they don't just standardise everything into one web site only and charging one standard fees.

The one I bought in vic is $3.XX, whereas the one to buy in nsw is $18, it may offer more information, but I just need the basic information such as if there is any finance on it, any repairable write off, or any statutory write off...
Appreciate 0