E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > The beginning of the end for Apple...take 2??

08-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Unhappy The beginning of the end for Apple...take 2??

Steve Jobs step down as CEO of Apple

Ive been using Apple computers since 1990, and remember well when Apple had an line of OK products but absoutly no direction(a bit like Sony now). Infact at one point the boss of HP gave Apple 90 days before bankruptcy. It's amazing to think share prices when Steve jobs took over in 1997 was $3 dollars and now worth $350

Now that Steve Jobs has left Apple again (and probably will never return ) I have an awful feeling things are going to go the same way again. Infact for the last 12months nothing innovative has really come out of Apple and this happens to coincide with the time Steve Jobs has been ill.

The original iMac was the first computer without a floppy drive and had a USB slot instead. The orginal macbook was one of the first laptops to have built in wifi. The first iPod was heavily criticised by the critics as an waste of time, and predicted to be a flop. The first iPhone and iPad both had a fair number of critics. The original MacBook Air was simply a class above all other 'slim' laptops at the time and the competition is still just catching up. The soon to be revealed new MobileMe will allow you to sync all your devices wirelessly for free!!

I would dare to say all of these started as an idea in Steves Jobs head, hopefully his health will recover, but pancreatic cancer followed by liver transplantation is about as serious as it gets. I hope am wrong and Steve comes back at full health, but the fact share price has fallen 5% isn't a good start for the new CEO. I know alot of people 'dislike' Apple for various reasons but like it or not Steve Jobs has changed the way we use computers for good, and it's sad to see a great innovator go off the scene.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Once investor confidence falls and people start to sell the share price can become very unstable. Am not really up on the history of Apple other than I have a few of their products that I really like.

Goes to show that money can't buy health or happiness. Good luck to the guy it seems like he has a tough time ahead of him.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

This man is a innovative marvel...just like how Bill Gates transformed our lives, Steve Jobs has too. I personally think Jobs mantra has been instilled in Apple's way of thinking and can see it going from strength to strength for years to come. Product development and "first to" will be Apple's forte.

I wish this man all the best and hope that he lives to see his empire grow even more.

p.s £3 a share....WTF!! Whoever bought them then...will be sitting on nice dividends earned.
      08-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Been a follower of Apple's fortunes for well over 20 years and to be honest I can't see this being anywhere like the end for them. Steve Jobs certainly has been a driving force in the company, he's always pushed products that he believes the world need rather than what consumers tell them they want.

For me one of the major turning points in Apples history was when they appointed Johnathan Ive as head of design. Apple had always done things a bit differently if you look at products like the Apple Newton which bombed and the performa range of integrated desk top computers which were arguably the forerunner to the iMac, they were however still a beige box. Ive changed all this with his first product, the iMac. This was the first time I remember people not involved in media ie music, design etc buying Macs. Ive made apple products a desireable fashion accessory the inuitive OS etc had always been there it's just nobody was interested before.

Apple clearly have a great team of people and I don't see the resignation of Jobs really making a difference apart from temporary dropping the share price (grab some if you can, they will go up soon when the next gen ipad and iphone are released)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Been a follower of Apple's fortunes for well over 20 years and to be honest I can't see this being anywhere like the end for them. Steve Jobs certainly has been a driving force in the company, he's always pushed products that he believes the world need rather than what consumers tell them they want.

For me one of the major turning points in Apples history was when they appointed Johnathan Ive as head of design. Apple had always done things a bit differently if you look at products like the Apple Newton which bombed and the performa range of integrated desk top computers which were arguably the forerunner to the iMac, they were however still a beige box. Ive changed all this with his first product, the iMac. This was the first time I remember people not involved in media ie music, design etc buying Macs. Ive made apple products a desireable fashion accessory the inuitive OS etc had always been there it's just nobody was interested before.

Apple clearly have a great team of people and I don't see the resignation of Jobs really making a difference apart from temporary dropping the share price (grab some if you can, they will go up soon when the next gen ipad and iphone are released)
Agreed, Jonathan Ive certainly gave apple the cool effect. I would never of been bothered with having a particular laptop, but a few years ago when it was new laptop time it just had to be a mac pro.

All the best Stevie boy
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikoV View Post
p.s £3 a share....WTF!! Whoever bought them then...will be sitting on nice dividends earned.
What if I had bought Apple stock instead?

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

AFAIK Jobs has stepped down as CEO and Tim Cook former COO and acting CEO for sometime now is now officialy CEO. Jobs will be taking the role of chairman so he is still basically in control.

Dont see this as the beginning of the end at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylimmy View Post

That's some reading Jimmy....