E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer charging $$ to check if Dinan installed

07-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
titleist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Dealer charging $$ to check if Dinan installed

I recently purchased a 2007 335i which had a Dinan badge on the back. Called Dinan and they have records that show it had Stage 2 at some point.

Now most would be content with that but I would expect a different intake or something else if the previous owner had stage 2. How likely is it that the previous owner got the ecu flashed back to stock?

And I called the closest BMW near me and they want $60-140 to check if it has the software still installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Not sure why it'd be flashed back to stock...

Warranty is not voided when flashed with Dinan so no real reason to go backwards.

Dealerships will reflash back to dinan software if software was upgraded (this is assuming work is done at a dealership with dinan partnership)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

WTF Dinan is dealer supported. I cannot imagine why they would charge to check. Find a dealer that supports Dinan in your area and tell them to blow.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Car is a 2007.. tech wont be able to warranty a check and get paid for it since the car has no warranty on it
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
Car is a 2007.. tech wont be able to warranty a check and get paid for it since the car has no warranty on it
Bah fuck- missed that part. Sara has a point.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
titleist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Oh I knew I would have to pay something, just thought $140 was way too overpriced for a simple check.

Just have to think of another way to check or just make myself believe it's still there and not worry about it ha
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

The dealer has to take out a tech's time to drive your car into the bay. Access your port. Plug it into the computer. Then read out the firmware.

It may take 5-10 minutes of his time. What makes you think they would do it for free? Everything cost money in America, even shopping at Goodwill. Especially owning a BMW.

$140 is outrageous. But somebody has to pay for those coffee, muffins, hot front-desk secretary, shined floors, and the owner's pregnant trophy wife.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist View Post
I recently purchased a 2007 335i which had a Dinan badge on the back. Called Dinan and they have records that show it had Stage 2 at some point.

Now most would be content with that but I would expect a different intake or something else if the previous owner had stage 2. How likely is it that the previous owner got the ecu flashed back to stock?

And I called the closest BMW near me and they want $60-140 to check if it has the software still installed.
If you have a 2007 and you are going to have them do anything with the software... you might as well have them re-process ALL the modules in the car and UPDATE all the software including the dinan mod. Reason being is, I'm sure it takes only a few seconds for them to plug up to the OBD2 and query the checksum of the flash to know what version you have. Knowing the version is not that big a deal... but I am willing to bet that many other modules in the car are probably from 2006/2007 code base as well.

I plan to do this when I take my car in for my next oil change, I want to get them to update ALL the modules with the latest software (it will probably blow away my alpina flash and coding... but those can be put back in easily). What you will probably gain is a lot of bug fixes. Don't even have them waste time checking the version... tell them just to update it all for the $50 or $100. After all, its not like they are turning a wrench for hours and hours on the car. All they do is connect up the battery to power source and fire up the computer to update the car over night (It probably just takes 1 hour tops as an automated scripted based on the VO number).

If you have any custom coded features, you may want to get in touch with your local coder and let him know this is what you are planning to do... so he can just make a copy of your config and then put it all back once the car is updated at the dealership. If you haven't had the car coded yet, might be a good starting point for getting your car coded after all the modules have been updated. Might also be a good time if you haven't already replaced the car battery to replace the soon to be failing 6+ year old battery with an AGM battery (since they are already updating the software it's nothing more to code in the new AGM battery to the VO) and register it to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
titleist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
The dealer has to take out a tech's time to drive your car into the bay. Access your port. Plug it into the computer. Then read out the firmware.

It may take 5-10 minutes of his time. What makes you think they would do it for free? Everything cost money in America, even shopping at Goodwill. Especially owning a BMW.

$140 is outrageous. But somebody has to pay for those coffee, muffins, hot front-desk secretary, shined floors, and the owner's pregnant trophy wife.
Oh I knew it wouldn't be free. The title was a little misleading, just pointing out how ridiculous the price seemed. I used to work at an Audi dealership and no chance we would'Ve ever charged someone that much for something so easy
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
titleist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
If you have a 2007 and you are going to have them do anything with the software... you might as well have them re-process ALL the modules in the car and UPDATE all the software including the dinan mod. Reason being is, I'm sure it takes only a few seconds for them to plug up to the OBD2 and query the checksum of the flash to know what version you have. Knowing the version is not that big a deal... but I am willing to bet that many other modules in the car are probably from 2006/2007 code base as well.

I plan to do this when I take my car in for my next oil change, I want to get them to update ALL the modules with the latest software (it will probably blow away my alpina flash and coding... but those can be put back in easily). What you will probably gain is a lot of bug fixes. Don't even have them waste time checking the version... tell them just to update it all for the $50 or $100. After all, its not like they are turning a wrench for hours and hours on the car. All they do is connect up the battery to power source and fire up the computer to update the car over night (It probably just takes 1 hour tops as an automated scripted based on the VO number).

If you have any custom coded features, you may want to get in touch with your local coder and let him know this is what you are planning to do... so he can just make a copy of your config and then put it all back once the car is updated at the dealership. If you haven't had the car coded yet, might be a good starting point for getting your car coded after all the modules have been updated. Might also be a good time if you haven't already replaced the car battery to replace the soon to be failing 6+ year old battery with an AGM battery (since they are already updating the software it's nothing more to code in the new AGM battery to the VO) and register it to the car.
Thanks for the great information. I really wish I knew what the previous owner did to the car. But I'll probably just tell them to update everything at once and make the cost worthwhile
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:

just curious what modules need to be updated? never heard of such thing
Quote:
Oh I knew I would have to pay something, just thought $140 was way too overpriced for a simple check.

Just have to think of another way to check or just make myself believe it's still there and not worry about it ha
how about asking the dealership you bought it from to give you your vehicles service history and look for a software update?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
If you have a 2007 and you are going to have them do anything with the software... you might as well have them re-process ALL the modules in the car and UPDATE all the software including the dinan mod. ...
they will not just update software. they need to have a reason, like something is wrong with the car. its a long process and can fail sometimes causing more harm than good. hopefully the shop you are going to is okay with the updating for no reason.
      07-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Dinan offers lifetime reflash for free so take to authorized Dinan dealership/shop and just have them reflash Dinan stage 2 software so you know it is installed.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
titleist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post

how about asking the dealership you bought it from to give you your vehicles service history and look for a software update?
The car has less than 14k miles even though it's an '07 so I can bet it hasn't seen the dealership too often. Dinan told me it had two registered visits in 2008 and 2011, and all it could say was stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Could borrow somebody's Cobb and log boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #16
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I knew it wouldn't be free. The title was a little misleading, just pointing out how ridiculous the price seemed. I used to work at an Audi dealership and no chance we would'Ve ever charged someone that much for something so easy
It's like Apple charging for iPhone updates, the software is already made and is available... no reason they should hide it from customers. I honestly believe the reason for this method is because of the "Dealership" laws which Tesla is fighting very hard to change. I honestly think that once I can get my garage accessory... my next vehicle will be a Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the great information. I really wish I knew what the previous owner did to the car. But I'll probably just tell them to update everything at once and make the cost worthwhile
Are you on the original car battery or was that replaced recently by the previous owner? If you still have the original car battery and are making all this effort... it might be cost effective to make the switch from the White shelled (Lead/Acid Flooded) battery to the Black shelled (AGM) battery. Your net cost for the re-programming should be zero since it is already being done. Remember you pay by the hour for labor and since these activities are all related, they all fall under the same 1 hour of labor (since they take like 5 minutes to do).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #18
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post

For Dinan only, the only thing that needs to be updated is the DME, for the entire car... it has modules for each and everything (Just like your computer has a sound card, audio card, network card, wifi card, etc... each need it's own manf software update).

Any BMW dealership Service Advisor can give you the DAVIS report based on the last seven of your VIN. Some dealerships are more friendlier than others. Some will give you some BS about "oh that info is the property of BMW, blah blah, blah..." But the reality is, these are records for your vehicle and you have the right to inspect/view/obtain them. If I were you I would ask for the FULL DAVIS report which should be something along the lines of about 6+ pages in length.
* The first page will be stuff like the original MSRP/Car packages/VIN/warranty period/etc.
* Second & third page should be something about your service history
* 4th+ pages should be details from your key and counters, like:
- Oil change count
- Brake fluid flush count
- Front pad change count and miles remaining
- rear pad change count and miles remaining
- Coolant temps
- Oil temps
- battery voltage and time/mileage of any battery registration
- Many many more things
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #19
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
they will not just update software. they need to have a reason, like something is wrong with the car. its a long process and can fail sometimes causing more harm than good. hopefully the shop you are going to is okay with the updating for no reason.
If the updates are failing it's because someone forgot to change the JB4 to Map0 for stock/pass thru. Any other reason for failure is due to BMW trained tech incompetence. Reason being is, EACH AND EVERY service job has a tech procedure/instruction sheet from BMW which clearly states how to do the job correctly AND if they should spend more then 30 minutes with issues they should STOP and contact BMW NA for assistance. If a true update error exists, its because of issues from BMW NA with testing their own updates (These are not issues you should pay for, because you are not paying them for software Quality Assurance via customer issue... they should have shaken out all those bugs at release time).

Just by the very nature that a NEW software release exists for your module is reason enough that an issue has been resolved (No reason BMW NA would make software changes if something didn't need to be fixed). It's like saying, you don't need Windows Software Updates until after you have been hacked OR you don't need any Symantec LiveUpdates until after your system has been compromised. The software updates will keep known issues from happening (Pro-active), it is not the case that once you have an issue then only you need a fix (re-active). Why in the world did they PROACTIVELY require people to get the HPFP software fix, why not let each and every 335 fully fail before doing the update? It's because they had fixes and it would have been a PR nightmare not to address the known issue before failures.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #20
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Dinan offers lifetime reflash for free so take to authorized Dinan dealership/shop and just have them reflash Dinan stage 2 software so you know it is installed.
This makes sense... why not just call up Dinan directly and ask for their advice on what steps to take?

Linky --> http://www.dinancars.com/contact.aspx
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #21
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car has less than 14k miles even though it's an '07 so I can bet it hasn't seen the dealership too often. Dinan told me it had two registered visits in 2008 and 2011, and all it could say was stage 2.
Ask them specifically about what you want:
1) Do they re-flash for free?
* If yes, where should you take it to near your work/home?
* If No, what should be the cost and where do they recommend you take it to near your home/work? Yes, yes... we know we can take it to any Dinan specialist... but where would YOUUUUU take it to if you were me
2) What is the cost to upgrade to Stage 3?
* If the cost is minimal or the same as re-flashing to stage 2, why not just upgrade to stage 3 and be done with it
* This also demonstrates that your relationship hasn't ended but is just starting as a new customer. If they think they might up sell you... it might just work to show you some goodwill???
3) Ask around at various Dinan Certified shops (BMW or Indy) to see if they will address the stage 2 re-flash for you for free? chances are someone will do it, just to get you in the door and sell you more stuff for the car. Customer service is really a roll of the dice. I would pay more in labor if I were to get really good pre-sale customer service coupled with them having a reputation for solid after sale customer service.

** If any shop does help you for free and you think you might go back to them again for future services like oil changes and what not... consider tipping the guy who did the work because they will help you out again next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #22
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
Could borrow somebody's Cobb and log boost.
Targeted boost or actual boost? If he has vacuum leaks it might not make actual boost goals?
Appreciate 0