E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Idrive/Nav System freezing up

01-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
torgo
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Idrive/Nav System freezing up

Hi

I had experienced this once or twice before but it seems to be more often. While driving, the radio cuts out and it seems like the nav screen has frozen. If youy press menu or idrive controller, it takes 4 to 5 seconds before it responds and at that stage the radio come alive again. Looks like teh system is freezing up occassionaly.

Also happed once is that during this ferezing up moment teh Idrive screen went blank with lines across it. I switched off for 15 minutes and then it came back..

Anyone experience thsi failure? Software or hardware related!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

Most likely software issue, however it could be a failure of the nav system. either way, you will have to take this to the dealer and expect to receive it next day due to diagnosis/programming.

I have seen this problem before, sometimes it does require replacement of the nav system (CCC), sometimes just programming
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by torgo View Post
Hi

I had experienced this once or twice before but it seems to be more often. While driving, the radio cuts out and it seems like the nav screen has frozen. If youy press menu or idrive controller, it takes 4 to 5 seconds before it responds and at that stage the radio come alive again. Looks like teh system is freezing up occassionaly.

Also happed once is that during this ferezing up moment teh Idrive screen went blank with lines across it. I switched off for 15 minutes and then it came back..

I had this happen twice over 12 months. It really didn't bother me, but when I told the dealer he swapped out the CCC and replaced the idrive screen. The car was updated to Progman 27, which I love.

Tell your dealer - he should get it taken care of. Apparently the car logs these events, so you won't even have to demonstrate it.
      01-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Blue328xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I once had the whole idrive crash while I was using the radio, unfortunately I didnt know the reboot procedure so I had to drive with a half working iDrive.

Seems something is screwey with the way iDrive manages the radio, seems very sluggish.
      01-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
My iDrive has frozen a couple of times and I couldnt listen to the radio or do anything!

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
highlander777
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M Touring (62)

My iDrive Crashed. Getting a new CCC

Hi

My iDrive crashed. Today, BMW are replacing the whole unit and they cannot eject the DVD and my CD. They claim that the unit will need to be sent back to Germany, so they can extract the DVD and CD then send back. Surely it would be easier to give me the lastest DVD Nav :-), I will propose that tomorrow, wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Tommy420
peace.love.health.happine ss
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 Montego/Blk lthr

This happens to me every now and then...it doesn't disrupt the music/radio I'm listening to, but sometimes the idrive freezes up for a couple of seconds...i just chalk it up to normal glitches in the computer. Wonder if I should mention it to my dealer?

For pics of my ride, go to www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108628
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgo View Post

Similar thing happened to me last night. I drove home and quickly changed for a vball match. Start it up about 10 minutes later on my way out and its stuck on one Sirius preset and the idrive will display that it has changed stations, but the same one keeps playing. I turn the car off and restart at a stop light 1 minute later. Now, the screen is frozen on the same radio station and won't even display new inputs, plus no bluetooth. Drive 2 miles to a stop light and restart again. Screen frozen on the main menu, I get a signal that SOS is unavailable and still no bluetooth. After driving for 2 more miles I hear a chime, music starts playing and I regain full control of the idrive, but I have no presets and bluetooth still unavailable (unsure about SOS). Play vball for almost two hours and car is back to normal when I drive home.

I guess I'll email my SA and see what he says.