E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Possible engine failure

06-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #1
jonesie3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Exclamation Possible engine failure

Hey guys,

I'll start this of with a bit of backstory. 2008 e92 335i with just under 140k kms FBO and tuned MHD stage 2+ for almost 2 years now, have always data logged a pull at least once a week for the time its been tuned and never ripped on the car if it wasn't running properly.

Just over a week ago I took the car out to a meet (did a pull as I left of course, which felt clean other than a small timing pull, or throttle closure at the end of the run) and then went for a short cruise around the city. About 15 mins after leaving the meet leaving a stop sign driving normally I get a bad misfire, so I pull over immediately shut the car off, clear the code (which was for a cylinder 4 misfire) and turn it back on again thinking that the misfire will go away. It does not, in fact when I turn the car back on it is still misfiring and now there is a knocking/ticking noise coming from the engine bay. So I turn the car off and look at the live monitoring and turn it back on. Misfire is still there along with the ticking/knocking and I notice the AFRs on both banks are leaning out quick, with bank 2 leaning out slightly quicker (starting at 15:1 for the first 10 seconds and then quickly climbed up to almost 30:1 all at idle). So I shut the car off and call for a tow.

Fast forward a week I get a call from the shop, saying that the engine is toast. They said they could not get the misfire to go away so they scoped cylinder 4 and saw oil sitting in the cylinder. That's all they said, guy on the phone didn't seem to know a whole lot but could hear the mechanic talking to him in the background. As a side note this shop replaced my VCG and OFHG about a month and a half ago as I brought the car to them with a bad oil leak that came out of no where and made the car undriveable.

This shop works on a lot of the nice cars here lots of BMW, merc, along with a couple porsches and even a Lamborghini last summer.

What are your people's thoughts? do you think my engine is blown? Is it possible the shop messed something up bad enough to cause this when they did the VCG and OFHG? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: went and spoke to the mechanic today that did the diagnosis, injector and plug were covered in oil when pulled out. Compression test showed 120psi on that cylinder but took a long time to get up there. Bore was very scored and with the scope down there he turned the engine over by hand and on the down stroke the cylinder was filling up with oil.

Pretty surprised to see this on a 140k KM engine.

Last edited by jonesie3; 06-26-2023 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: new info
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 11:38 PM   #2
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

Could be fuel wash from a bad injector. Would explain why it’s only one cylinder
Appreciate 0