E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CEL codes P2096 and P2270

04-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

CEL codes P2096 and P2270

anyone know what these codes are exactly? i read somewhere that it has to do with a sensor or with the car running too lean. i have catless downpipes but i have the BMS 02 simms so i doubt it has anything to do with it. however it happened right after i took my front bumper off and put it back on. maybe these codes have something to do with connecting something back in that i didnt?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico335 View Post
anyone know what these codes are exactly? i read somewhere that it has to do with a sensor or with the car running too lean. i have catless downpipes but i have the BMS 02 simms so i doubt it has anything to do with it. however it happened right after i took my front bumper off and put it back on. maybe these codes have something to do with connecting something back in that i didnt?
I think these are universal (got them from a Mazda forum):

P2096 Target A/F feedback system too lean ON 2 Fuel system

P2270 Rear HO2S signal stuck lean ON 2 HO2S

There are a number of questions to ask, based on this... I guess I'd start with how long were your sims working before front bumper removal and could that removal (and replacement) even possibly have affected the sims set-up.

Terry's pretty awesome on support - you've probably run it by him and maybe even received an answer.

Roy
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Terry said that he sends out "weaker" o2 simms because 90% of the time, it fixes the CEL's completely, however, he also said that a few percentage of the cars need "stronger" o2 simms.. The reason why he sends out weaker ones first, is because 90% of the cars will throw CEL's with the "stronger" simm... Contact Terry, he will take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

really appreciate the comments/suggestions guys!

its just weird how this whole time... the day i have my bumper removed to install the black lower grills.... i get this CEL. i've been running the O2 simms since december and not a SINGLE problem has occured.

i dont know if its just a coincidence either or what. i dont see how removing the front bumper would affect anything... but with this car, you never know.

isnt 4 months with the simms and not having a problem already too long to determine if it is the simms? sorry that was pretty confusing but hopefully you all get it....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but the CEL can come back at anytime if they arent the right ones for your car... I don't really know too much on these so best bet is to contact Terry, or you can try posting a thread on N54tech.com, Terry is always roaming around there to answer anyones questions about BMS products
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #6
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but the CEL can come back at anytime if they arent the right ones for your car... I don't really know too much on these so best bet is to contact Terry, or you can try posting a thread on N54tech.com, Terry is always roaming around there to answer anyones questions about BMS products
hmmm interesting
sent him a PM.... thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
did you get this from generic OBD 2 code?

if it is obd 2 dtc code..

here is the result from it

P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean

P2270 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean

from the those generic code, i strongly believe you are running tooooo lean. you need to confirm it by take out your o2 sensor and see how white coating is it on the o2 sensor. It also telling me that you have an issue on the post sensor . The two other sensor are A/F sensor Also called wideband sensor. Anyways. you might end up replace it ..

by the way.. here is a list of obd 2 on powertrain all of them.

http://www.myscantool.com/dtc/powertrain.html
      04-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

thanks johnny. i have the c-reader that came with the procede. i forgot what it said about the codes but it didnt know them. "unknown code" is what i think it said
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks johnny. i have the c-reader that came with the procede. i forgot what it said about the codes but it didnt know them. "unknown code" is what i think it said
you are lucky. it did not say p8301.. lol

it also mean Powertrain issue

before i installed the aftermarket dp. i was checking out my o2 sensor. oh boy it was kinda white.. damn running too lean. i might end up selling my procede and sim. and spring .. lol cause if i get my car total lost. i will get a convertible car instead. mayb 135i convertible. lol or 335i convertible.

or x6 .. it is already out.. woohoo
      04-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
you are lucky. it did not say p8301.. lol

it also mean Powertrain issue
i think the day i get that will be the day i kill myself

do you think now would be a good time to put the stock DPs on? temporarily...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
i think the day i get that will be the day i kill myself

do you think now would be a good time to put the stock DPs on? temporarily...
dont assume that your o2 sensor is bad. just look at the sensor first. to see how serious or how much white coatting it surround the sensor. To see if u can clean it up or something. and than put it back in the the OEM DP. to see any CEL. If u can bring your car to UTI at Rancho . Fasttrack instructor that you have a friend in that class. I just want to see if he can help me clear the code. Ask for waller( instructor). I will clear your code with the gt1 or dis. once you u put back to OEM DP if he let me. I am highly doubt that your DP is the cause of the issue. I am strongly believe the A/F ratio curve set at too high on the torque percentage (procede) If you could set it back to 90 percentage, and use pump gas for a while. If i have your issue. i would use take the Piggyback module out. I disconnect the negative battery for 30 mins to 45 mins. Drive it for a while until the DME will try to self adjust itself... I m strongly believe the DP is not the issue of your code. cause it would not throw that code if it is .. It is usually throw P0430 and P0420 code if u have aftermarket dp w/o cat system
      04-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #12
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
dont assume that your o2 sensor is bad. just look at the sensor first. to see how serious or how much white coatting it surround the sensor. To see if u can clean it up or something. and than put it back in the the OEM DP. to see any CEL. If u can bring your car to UTI at Rancho . Fasttrack instructor that you have a friend in that class. I just want to see if he can help me clear the code. Ask for waller( instructor). I will clear your code with the gt1 or dis. once you u put back to OEM DP.
ill check the sensor and i already cleared the code too. problem is, i cleared it when i got home so i dont know if it'll come back again or not. i'll check tomorrow to see if it comes up when i drive it again
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #13
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
ill check the sensor and i already cleared the code too. problem is, i cleared it when i got home so i dont know if it'll come back again or not. i'll check tomorrow to see if it comes up when i drive it again
well the thing is .. the new MVX70 Module. they are use plausible system. Once your car throw a cel, it will store it on the DME. Eventhough u clear it with the generic code. it would not be clear cause it is store on the Manufacture specific code in the DME. ONLY GT1 or DIS WILL Detect cause we are using 16 pins OBD 2. It will clear it for good. ONLY if u take out the procede. Aftermarket or generic OBD 2 only use 8 pin. Therefore, you cant clear the code.

The system is using PT CAN bus (powetrain bus communicate ) to the DME. Everytime u are turn on and run your car, it will have 2 way communication to the dme from the O2 sensor. One way is signal . the other way is coming back to the dme like a echo. yes im on and no lean or rich issue. If echo signal is out of spec, it will try to communicate 2 to 3 times. 2 to 3 times out of the FTP RULE . it will auto throw CEL. FTP rule is it must not be more than 1.5 gram per million or else it will throw cel and automatically go to HaLL 1 or HALL 2 failt safe mode
      04-10-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
well the thing is .. the new MVX70 Module. they use plausible system. Once your car throw a cel, it will store it on the DME. Eventhough u clear it with the generic code. it would not be clear cause it is store on the Manufacture specific code in the DME. ONLY GT1 or DIS WILL Detect cause we are using 16 pins OBD 2. Aftermarket or generic OBD 2 only use 8 pin. Therefore, you cant clear the code.
ahhhhh ok i see thanks
now im a bit worried if the dealer will say anything but i dont think they have a reason to see any old codes
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #15
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
ahhhhh ok i see thanks
now im a bit worried if the dealer will say anything but i dont think they have a reason to see any old codes
well the dealer wont know unless they are doing a short test on your car. It will tell bmw technican where the issue is.. which part, etc. The only thing u might be concern is, your engine blow up cause it was too damn lean. The seal of the piston fucked. They will void majority of your warranty on the powertrain except The tranmission cause they dont want to give u 15K engine and labors. By the way, everytime u visit any bmw center. it is require to do short test for warranty job and rule

For some odd ball, alot of bmw technican dont give a crap about it. it is just a daily job and pay for them.. However, when come to blow up engine. BMW Warranty department will look into your issue big time. As i said, ANy center dont like to buy brand new engine for u ..
      05-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

i too just got these codes after I put my stock airbox back on. pretty interesting coincidence I think. So what did you end up doing nico?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 03:22 AM   #17
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
Just got the p2096 code while cruising at 60 MPH for 30 miles straight on the highway. Weird. The SES light just popped up, no half engine light though. What was your guys cause?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #18
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

o2 sims too strong apaprently.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #19
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
well the thing is .. the new MVX70 Module. they are use plausible system. Once your car throw a cel, it will store it on the DME. Eventhough u clear it with the generic code. it would not be clear cause it is store on the Manufacture specific code in the DME. ONLY GT1 or DIS WILL Detect cause we are using 16 pins OBD 2. It will clear it for good. ONLY if u take out the procede. Aftermarket or generic OBD 2 only use 8 pin. Therefore, you cant clear the code.

The system is using PT CAN bus (powetrain bus communicate ) to the DME. Everytime u are turn on and run your car, it will have 2 way communication to the dme from the O2 sensor. One way is signal . the other way is coming back to the dme like a echo. yes im on and no lean or rich issue. If echo signal is out of spec, it will try to communicate 2 to 3 times. 2 to 3 times out of the FTP RULE . it will auto throw CEL. FTP rule is it must not be more than 1.5 gram per million or else it will throw cel and automatically go to HaLL 1 or HALL 2 failt safe mode
Umm......ok, now in english please? (no disrespect) I got the P2270 code also outta nowhere, and also the P114B code?

What does running rich and lean mean? Could someone explain?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #20
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

your sim is too strong nico, i swapped my resistors to lower the voltage divider's effect. i went from 10/12.2 = 82% to 10/11.5 = 87% of the original signal to get rid of my lean codes. so far so good!

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #21
utfenix335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2015 X5 50i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Hey guys... I just did a downpipe install two weekends ago with a dp fix v2 (my guess). Yesterday, crusing the high way back from Richmond, my SES light went off. I got the same codes this morning. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0