E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Just Another Coilover Install Thread****

03-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Just Another Coilover Install Thread****

ok guys, from the other thread that was on the NE regional referring to coilover install prices i gathered that avg. price would be around 500-600 dollars. why is this so high? i talked to a guy at the cars and coffee meet who said he installed his coilovers on his e46 m3 in under 2 hours, by himself, 1st time doing a BMW. why are all "pro" shops telling me this is a 5-7 hour job? is this car really that much more difficult to install CO's on than an e46? i mean, my father installed his coilovers by himself on a porsche 993 turbo! i would think that car would be twice as hard as my e92.
lastly, here is a thread from the suspension forum. why are people everywhere else getting their suspension done for such better prices? also, you can clearly see in this thread that someone states if a shop says it will take more than 3 hours including alignment, then that shop is BS'ing. thats why i dont get how TMS, which is supposed to be one of the best BMW shops in N.A. is telling me 5 hours!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239822

P.S. JeffL, what did you end up paying for your CO install? i remember the thread you had about shopping for prices
      03-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

I'm going to Turner on the 27th for the install. I'm fine with paying them the 5 hours for install plus alignment after talking to a few other shops and finding out what they charge. I'm done working on my own cars I'm sure I could do the install I just have no interest in it. As for it taking 5 hours I highly doubt it but that's what they charge so it is what it is.

Others have said try BPG but they are at least $100 more than Turner. BPG told me an alignment could run as much as $250 depending on what they had to "do". Yeah I'm staying away from them. Also I'm not going to 'Joe's Garage' I take some comfort in knowing that Turner knows what they are doing and everything will be done right the first time.

Just from my over the phone and email dealing with Turner I would highly recommend them. They have been great and customer service has been fantastic. They also offer loaner cars while they work on your car.
      03-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
blueaudi18
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 08' 335i , mb sl500

what is tuners number... i have some kw's sinace last summer that needs to be installed.

POSTED WITH APOLOGIES FOR POOR SPELLING, GRAMMAR AND SENTENCE STRUCTURE
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
JeffL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaudi18 View Post
what is tuners number... i have some kw's sinace last summer that needs to be installed.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/
      03-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
branabolic
Major
Rep

ya i have already had work done by turner. indeed they are great to work with, i even have a friend that works there. however i just dont see how BPG and Turner are saying these are five hour jobs when people in cali and canada are getting it done in 2-3 hours with alignment for UNDER 300 dollars.
      03-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
JeffL
Major
Rep

I've found what people say and what actually happens is often two very different things espically on forums. People probably knock a few hundred off everything they post. Much like 1/4 mile times. If that's not the case I have no clue why the shops around here are way higher than anywhere else in the country?
      03-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
branabolic
Major
Rep

ya you're definatly right about people stretching truths on the interwebs! but like i said in my first post, i talked to a kid at the meet sunday who did his e46 M3 in less than 2 hours on a lift. he is a mechanic, but not a BMW one. this guy does not seem like a BS'er either, i have an amazing talent for spotting BS'ers haha, and he wasn't one. he offered to install mine for me when i get them, maybe i'll take him up on that and that way i can do it to and see if these shops really are yanking our chains. of course, theres always that risk that we f*ck something up and then i end up going to Turner anyways. i guess thats why part of me, and alot of others for that matter, just wanna pay the $500 in the first place. sigh...
      03-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
branabolic
Major
Rep

does Turner or BPG include ride height setting and corner balancing in their price quotes? just thought of this..... because if they do, that would DEFINATLY be the reason for the 5-6 hours vs. supposedly 3 hours others are experiencing.
      03-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
JeffL
Major
Rep

Turner does. I stopped talking to BPG after they came up with the $250 for an alignment thing.