E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > dpf removal

07-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

I had my remap done at the same time as DPF removal, but my MPG shot up. I think the loss of MPG may be attributed to a 'heavier' right foot...[/QUOTE]

Seems a contradictory statement? Are you confirming you saw mpg rises or reduced overall?

Does Dpf removal require a whole new map, or just a delete a code that recognises the dpf?

£650 seems a lot for the replacement pipe and a bit of coding? What am I missing? Or do they just charge this because of the price of a oem replacement and they can!?
      07-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

You could easily be £500 for just the remap though. In fact, most well known tuners are there or there abouts for the remap. So and extra £150 for the pipe and fitting doesn't seem too bad to me.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #25
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

ecotune scotland..

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/product/iFlash_BMW

Looks a great bit of kit... economy map for through week or long journeys or a power map for playtime. Along with nice stainless downpipe will be quite pricey but still alot cheaper than a new DPF
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man
You could easily be £500 for just the remap though. In fact, most well known tuners are there or there abouts for the remap. So and extra £150 for the pipe and fitting doesn't seem too bad to me.
I guess that sums up my point. I already have a map, so 650 seems alot? So do you have to have a custom map that suits the removal of dpf or is it just de coding as to not throw a fault code?

Down pipe sound good. I take it that's separate to the dpf? Much extra gee gees with the down pipe? Should sound great with that little lot!
      07-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
russ335d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d se

the angel tuning guys just told me they strip the old pipe out, reseal and stress test it then place back on, if i went with the supersprint pipe thats £500alone.

for those who had theirs done or being done, whats the time to complete the job?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
I guess that sums up my point. I already have a map, so 650 seems alot? So do you have to have a custom map that suits the removal of dpf or is it just de coding as to not throw a fault code?

Down pipe sound good. I take it that's separate to the dpf? Much extra gee gees with the down pipe? Should sound great with that little lot!
Inquired about this in January

Thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately the DPF removal software is calibrated completely differently from a regular remap, the settings you currently have would be stored by our handheld programmer as the original and we would supply the software specifically developed for our hardware. This represents nearly 80hours of dyno development work and all downpipes are manufactured to an exacting standard to ensure the new turbo geometry settings will apply to all cars with the pipe installed.

Everything changes when the DPF is removed. In particular, turbo temperatures and intake air temperatures are significantly less, the turbochargers spool much easier but without correct realignment, this can be disastrous for the bearings.

We offer a postal kit which includes the following –
iFlash handheld diagnostic programmer
OBD & USB Cables
PC Software
2 x switchable DPF OFF calibrated maps (matched to downpipe)
3” 316 Stainless Steel DPF OFF Downpipe with CNC machined bosses and fitments.

It is available to view by clicking >here<

Kind Regards,
Stan Ward

Technical Director

Ecotune UK Ltd

Regardless if you have a remap, it will not be optimised for the DPF delete and will need another map.

I've been holding out for 5 months for Evolve to bring out there DPF delete setup, but nothing as of yet
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
graemebryson
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
Seems a contradictory statement? Are you confirming you saw mpg rises or reduced overall?
My mistake, I swept over Mr Singh's comment and though he said 'decrease'. Definite increase in MPG and performance - hard to say whether that's attributed to the remap or DPF removal (or both) as I had them both done at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #30
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

I would say DPF deletion is game on to improve MPG. If yours has improved then that proves that then. DPF is a bottle neck for performance and fuel consumption if I ever saw one.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #31
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
I would say DPF deletion is game on to improve MPG. If yours has improved then that proves that then. DPF is a bottle neck for performance and fuel consumption if I ever saw one.
^^ this

If anyone has any queries then i would suggest to phone stan at ecotune.
Seems very knowledgeable and there products have been given to performance bmw magazine for tests and work with companies such as forge motorsport for devolopements.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #32
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

I spoke to a few re-map companies before I went with Ecotune's product, reason being that Stan was far more convincing than anyone else about what was affected by removing the dpf and what needed to be done to ensure the car remained reliable.

Most people were saying they just had to delete the dpf regen programme and made no mention of what else may be affected!

Ian
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #33
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
Inquired about this in January

Thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately the DPF removal software is calibrated completely differently from a regular remap, the settings you currently have would be stored by our handheld programmer as the original and we would supply the software specifically developed for our hardware. This represents nearly 80hours of dyno development work and all downpipes are manufactured to an exacting standard to ensure the new turbo geometry settings will apply to all cars with the pipe installed.

Everything changes when the DPF is removed. In particular, turbo temperatures and intake air temperatures are significantly less, the turbochargers spool much easier but without correct realignment, this can be disastrous for the bearings.

We offer a postal kit which includes the following –
iFlash handheld diagnostic programmer
OBD & USB Cables
PC Software
2 x switchable DPF OFF calibrated maps (matched to downpipe)
3” 316 Stainless Steel DPF OFF Downpipe with CNC machined bosses and fitments.

It is available to view by clicking >here<

Kind Regards,
Stan Ward

Technical Director

Ecotune UK Ltd

Regardless if you have a remap, it will not be optimised for the DPF delete and will need another map.

I've been holding out for 5 months for Evolve to bring out there DPF delete setup, but nothing as of yet
Phone BW they already offer the work package and have done it to several cars .
      07-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
Red Ice BMW
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemebryson View Post
The torque increase is insane - before the process it RR'd at abut 173bhp/300 ft lbs, and after the remap/dpf removal it's 247bhp/400 ft lbs.

I've seen a few people mentioning the 'diesel smog' - It's barely noticeable on mine other than some build up on the exhaust tips after a weeks use or so.
Nice one mate cheers, I was worried about the black cloud following after DPF removal but in your experience this is minimal? Just thinking will the white bumper soon be black because of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #35
graemebryson
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice BMW View Post
Nice one mate cheers, I was worried about the black cloud following after DPF removal but in your experience this is minimal? Just thinking will the white bumper soon be black because of this.
I'd say it's minimal, the only build up I've seen accumulates after about a week on the exhaust tips which I can just wipe away - I have a carbon fibre diffuser and it seems to stay clean between washes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #36
Havana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 N52 - Individual

I would recommend the removal after having it done myself. The sound of the turbo spool up compares to a jet engine, and at idle there is just a hint of turbine wine. It might not be to everyones taste, but I love it. I can't give a report on the MPG really as I haven't made many long trips since, but I can say it's more effortless to drive. When you need a burst of speed it's more than enough to see off pretty much any challenger, within reason
Appreciate 0