E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need a DIY: Rear Bumper Removal

06-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Ragin'Cajun
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Need a DIY: Rear Bumper Removal

I have a 07 335 E90 and enjoy mountain biking. I have designed and am having fabricated a bike rack that is similar to a hitch rack but without the hitch. I plan on mounting a braket on the rear bumper support behind the facia but need to take the bumper cover off in order to do so. I have been lurking on the forum for a month or two now but haven't come across a DIY for it. Or if anyone can provide some input on the steps/tools required it would be great.

Thanks, Ragin'Cajun
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

RC, here are the steps
1. open trunk
2. on the ledge of the trunk/bumper, use small flat tool to pry up two small black cover near the rear taillight assembly, one on each side. Unscrew 8mm screws.
3. remove both taillight assemblies....just the outer ones.
4. put an old blanket under the bumper and get on the ground, remove all the 8mm black screws you see under the bumper.
5. inside each rear wheel well are three 8mm screws holding the bumper on. Two you can see. Last one at the top you have to pry back the carpet/liner to unscrew. No need to remove rear tires. Use small ratchet with 3" extensions.
6. now grab left side of rear bumper and gently pop it out. You'll feel two pops when done correctly. now go to the right side and repeat.
7. now stand in the back of the bumper and pull entire cover away from car. Blanket is there to protect bumper just in case it fall to the ground scratching your paint.

Not responsible for any damages....thus DIY. I followed these steps and things went very smoothly. Good luck.
      07-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
sim@ecuprogram
Rep
Drives: E90 E70 F01

bump
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Ragin'Cajun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimdaddy View Post
RC, here are the steps
1. open trunk
2. on the ledge of the trunk/bumper, use small flat tool to pry up two small black cover near the rear taillight assembly, one on each side. Unscrew 8mm screws.
4. put an old blanket under the bumper and get on the ground, remove all the 8mm black screws you see under the bumper.
5. inside each rear wheel well are three 8mm screws holding the bumper on. Two you can see. Last one at the top you have to pry back the carpet/liner to unscrew. No need to remove rear tires. Use small ratchet with 3" extensions.
6. now grab left side of rear bumper and gently pop it out. You'll feel two pops when done correctly. now go to the right side and repeat.
7. now stand in the back of the bumper and pull entire cover away from car. Blanket is there to protect bumper just in case it fall to the ground scratching your paint.

Not responsible for any damages....thus DIY. I followed these steps and things went very smoothly. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, seems clear enough.

Anyone else have any other steps/tips/precautions to add to these instructions?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Ragin'Cajun
Rep

Quote:
RC, here are the steps
1. open trunk

Thanks again for the instructions, I did the mod today and the only thing that I could add as a tip to others is after you take the bolts out and pop the sides. Don't try to pop the tops of the cover out on the sides, just the two snaps lower in the bumper. The connection at the top of the bumper cover on both sides will slide out easily when you pull the bumper from the rear (the instructions were correct, I just didn't know that part).

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
sim@ecuprogram
Rep
Drives: E90 E70 F01

bump
any tips or pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
RC, here are the steps
1. open trunk

everything is pretty straightforward except for the screw you talk abt in step 5. what carpet/liner are you talking abt?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
In the rear wheel wells there is a carpet type liner which needs to be pulled away to access these screws. This is something I am going to be needing to do at some point and was also wondering where and how the dreaded clips are, I gather at the top sides of the bumper. Also of course don't forget to disconnect the PDC sensors...

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
I used this video when I replaced my rear bumper with an m-sport one. It was useful. I was able to get the old bumper off with most clip slots in tact. I think I tore two of them, but not a big deal. Hope this helps.

Appreciate 0