E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension Geeks….help me choose the correct parts

09-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
D_Smiderreen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Please delete my account

Question Suspension Geeks….help me choose the correct parts

I have an e90 LCI with stock sport suspenion. I’ve done some research and I think I’ve somewhat narrowed down the list of parts that are required to get the ride that I want.

- I MAY do a few track days eventually, so I need a set-up that handles good on the street but can hold it’s own on the track.

- I don’t want a jaw breaking ride but I want the car to feel like it’s on rails, firm and responsive.

- I don’t want an aggressive drop, just something short of being tucked on 19s. Maybe something adjustable?

- I want to stay away from camber plates and other racing bits unless I really have to.

This is what I’ve come up with, do I need to add or take away anything from this list?:

M3 control arm upgrade kit - upper & lower front control arm
M3 rear subframe bushings
M3 Rear guide arms
Q rear diff
M3 Rear sway bar

Spring or coilover choices are narrowed down to:

KW v1
KW comfort ?
BMW Sport Suspension
Bilstein & HR combo

I will do this in stages, any suggestions on what mods I should do first or pair together?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
What kind of tires are you running? I'd start with upgrading those. Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a top tier choice.

Next, I'd go right for the Quaife LSD. It will take the car to the next level. I suggest some adjustable toe arms with it, to hold the rear in check under acceleration; look at the Megan Racing ones. Note that installing the toe arms will require an alignment so you might want to wait to install those with your suspension parts to save money.

After that I would go right for dampers & springs; they are the primary parts responsible for controlling the sprung and unsprung mass of your car. If budget allows I would look for a Ground Control coil-over kit and some camber plates to go with it. Camber is your #2 tool for getting better grip behind getting better tires.

Then you could go for some of the other things you mentioned - the M3 front control arms/tension struts will give you the most "bang for buck". Better and heavier steering feel.
      09-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
What kind of tires are you running? I'd start with upgrading those. Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a top tier choice.

Next, I'd go right for the Quaife LSD. It will take the car to the next level. I suggest some adjustable toe arms with it, to hold the rear in check under acceleration; look at the Megan Racing ones. Note that installing the toe arms will require an alignment so you might want to wait to install those with your suspension parts to save money.

After that I would go right for dampers & springs; they are the primary parts responsible for controlling the sprung and unsprung mass of your car. If budget allows I would look for a Ground Control coil-over kit and some camber plates to go with it. Camber is your #2 tool for getting better grip behind getting better tires.

Then you could go for some of the other things you mentioned - the M3 front control arms/tension struts will give you the most "bang for buck". Better and heavier steering feel.
Sounds very expensive......
      09-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

It is very expensive The oe suspension doesn't provide for sharp handling though once you increase grip with non-rft's and/or add torque w/a tune.

OP: Your list looks good but as CJ mentioned start with tires and an LSD; that's what I did 4+ yrs ago; then go from there. The two best spring/shock combos you listed are KW street comfort and BMW performance. Research that M3 rear sway bar. If you change out the rear subframe bushings to M3, that'd be the time to install a larger rear sway.
      09-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
D_Smiderreen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Please delete my account

Very informative, thanks a lot guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
Sounds very expensive......
proper suspension setup is not cheap. if you want cheap, then don't expect a setup that can handle multiple conditions well, such as street+track. If you want dual purpose on these cars, you need to spend some money.
Appreciate 0