E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Rattle/vibration from steering column

05-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Rattle/vibration from steering column

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2010 325D LCI Coupe (Auto) and have noticed that when I am stationary (but still in D) there is a weird rattle/vibration like noise that comes from the steering wheel. It’s not always from the same point and the steering doesn’t have any issue (no noticeable knocks, clunks felt through the steering wheel - which from what I see is the usual sign of a dodgy steering column). I did think it may be the shifter paddles vibrating (as they naturally have a tiny bit of play in them), but I couldn’t seem to isolate it to that. Could this be the airbag slip ring or something that needs lubrication? The car has only done 16k so hopefully its nothing major!

Note that this is only when idle but sometimes you can amplify or reduce it if you move the steering roughly 5 degrees to the left or the right, but only when idle.

Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Turns out these may well just be rattling flappy paddles on the steering wheel!!! Aaaargh first rattle already. Anyone else have these rattling and know of a cure?

Bizarrely I have the newer flappy paddles - see link below (that seem to be fitted on the F series). Are these standard on facelift/lci E9x's or would someone have done a retrofit on mine?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...050736_800.jpg
Appreciate 0