E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > is white a timeless car color?

06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
no
yes
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #24
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
yes
fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I think white is one of the most underrated colors out there, and looks pretty spectacular on nearly everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r45t4m4n View Post
? White makes the lines more apparent, I think you are referring to black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeymoley View Post
I believe white looks good on any/every vehicle. Never seen a car that didn't look good on white. Unfortunately, I've seen too many people seeking out white, that I'm starting to lean towards other colors.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
yes

And here is the scientific reason why. Other than red, silver has been used on more iconic/famous cars than any other color:

James Dean's Spyder 550, Bond's DB5, Bond's Astin, Bond's Z8, 300SL are mostly silver, Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds, Delorean (I know, I know, it's still silver though), Tony Montana's Porsche 928, and on and on and on.

Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad.
This reminds me of an old electricity textbook I used to own. The first chapter was a "A proof for the existence of the ether."

For those of you who don't know, people used to think that radio waves were carried on the "Ether." Attempting to prove that was right up there with proving the earth was flat and "silver cars are best 'cos I've seen them in lots of movies!" Lol
      06-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #27
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
This reminds me of an old electricity textbook I used to own. The first chapter was a "A proof for the existence of the ether."

For those of you who don't know, people used to think that radio waves were carried on the "Ether." Attempting to prove that was right up there with proving the earth was flat and "silver cars are best 'cos I've seen them in lots of movies!" Lol
Don't relate my scientifically proven and accepted fact to the Earth being flat!

It's simple, movie makers want to appeal to the most people. Visually stunning cars appeal to the most people. Movie makers use lots of silver cars. Therefore silver cars appeal to the most people and are visually stunning.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Fact: Mercedes only makes silver cars.
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't relate my scientifically proven and accepted fact to the Earth being flat!

It's simple, movie makers want to appeal to the most people. Visually stunning cars appeal to the most people. Movie makers use lots of silver cars. Therefore silver cars appeal to the most people and are visually stunning.
Hehe.

"Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad."

If that's true, why are these old movies not full of red cars?

PS
The Saint - white Volvo 1800
Vanishing Point - white Dodge Challenger
Ghostbusters - white Cadillac
Model 117 Volkswagen Type 1 (aka the Beetle), The Love Bug - white
Mr Bean - lime green
Ferrari Testarossa - Miami Vice - white
The Italian Job - white, red and blue mini (no silver...)
      06-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
yes

And here is the scientific reason why. Other than red, silver has been used on more iconic/famous cars than any other color:

James Dean's Spyder 550, Bond's DB5, Bond's Astin, Bond's Z8, 300SL are mostly silver, Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds, Delorean (I know, I know, it's still silver though), Tony Montana's Porsche 928, and on and on and on.

Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad.
Very scientific.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Hehe.

"Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad."

If that's true, why are these old movies not full of red cars?

PS
The Saint - white Volvo 1800
Vanishing Point - white Dodge Challenger
Ghostbusters - white Cadillac
Model 117 Volkswagen Type 1 (aka the Beetle), The Love Bug - white
Mr Bean - lime green
Ferrari Testarossa - Miami Vice - white
The Italian Job - white, red and blue mini (no silver...)
You included a Volkswagen Beetle in your listing...therefore your argument is invalid.

And yes, my postings are dripping with sarcasm.

If we can't determine if white is a timeless color now, we'll have to wait a little while longer and revisit the issue.

But you can't argue with black, red and silver as being timeless. Should we include white? Maybe, maybe not. But it seems like white's popularity changes every decade.

BTW: A-Team van was black AND red...therefore making it the greatest color scheme ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

white is a bit of a fad

in the 90's a white car meant (at least on a honda) that you couldn't afford to pay extra for colored paint.

now it suggests youth and white things look broader, so it tends to add width and presence to smaller vehicles like 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #33
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
white is a bit of a fad

in the 90's a white car meant (at least on a honda) that you couldn't afford to pay extra for colored paint.

now it suggests youth and white things look broader, so it tends to add width and presence to smaller vehicles like 3 series.
Yes, in the UK, the F30 only comes in two colours without a surcharge. Alpine White and Jet Black. If I remember correctly, at least one Volvo recently was only available in one colour without a surcharge. I think it was the S80.

It might be my imagination, but I seem to remember that cars used to be available in a wider range of non metallic colours without a premium.

White definitely makes cars look bigger, which may be why the F10 and E Class don't look good in white...
      06-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #34
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

White, silver and black are the most popular color to have, they are timeless. light colors hide the dirt and show off the cars lines. White is for car owners who don't really take good care of the paint, it hide most of the defects on the paint[dirt,nicks, swirl marks, ect.] or better known as EASY CARE paint... some owners with white can go months without washing their cars, that is great if you don't care about your appearance .... but black is the best color to have when you want a clean car to pop out and be noticed... I have had five black cars and after owing them i will say i'm getting a different color like silver or white. but for some reasoned i will walk away with another black color I guess i'm a fan of black, and it give most cars more of a masculine look over other colors... so white, silver and black are timeless colors, they are best [car] colors
Appreciate 0