E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d's using b100

View Poll Results: Has B100 worked in your 335d:
Problem free? 1 100.00%
Problems with service department? 0 0%
Problems with the car? 0 0%
Problems with both Service and the car? 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

08-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
DeadBang1968
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Thumbs up 335d's using b100

Who out there is using b100? Any issues with the car, your service dept? Lets exchange our experiences and about b100 to help each other.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

I am not, but would love to hear more
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

What's that?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
dL_EVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EVO IX, 2011 BMW 335D

bio diesel?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
jiaan13
uʍop ǝpısdn
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, SG/Saddle, ZSP, ZPP

Pretty sure we aren't supposed to use anything over 10%(?) biodiesel. Some biodiesel contrains ethanol, a byproduct of manufacturing biodiesel. Ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs water-- a no-no on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Theres a guy here in Puerto Rico that sells the kit and I told him of my car and he was very honest and told me to make sure our cars can run with otherwise he will then sell it to me. Any info about htis on our cars please provide any input there is a new Wendy's restaurant opening soon about 3/4 of a mile from my house!! If i can make this happen VIOLA!! I can save the $200 or so dollars I spend a month on DIESEL!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Depending on the year the car it's rated for a max of 5%-7% bio diesel content. Believe one of the main issues is engine oil dilution. Of course this can be counter acted with more frequent oil changes But with sensitive High Pressure Fuel Pumps (HPFP) and very expensive injectors, need to be brave to venture into B100. I'm sure your warrenty would be voided if any engine related failure occured while running 100% bio.

Last edited by kbsilver; 08-24-2012 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: information correction
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Biodiesel actually has superior lubricity to dino diesel. Adding small amounts of bio to dino diesel (1-2%) can significantly improve lubricity.

It is a very bad idea to use B100 in our cars.

The problem on our cars (with B100) is the use of the DPF and regen cycles. Read this article, which contains a very good explanation of the problem. Note that it was published by an organization that promotes biodiesel, so they don't have a hidden agenda: http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...ction-problem/]

Note the 2 problems; first, that biodiesel in too high percentages dilutes our engine oil. But - also pay attention to the second problem: that the bio that makes it to the sump interacts with additives and increases the possibility of engine wear.

BMW only warrants our engines for 5-7% bio (depending on the model year), anything beyond that won't be covered by BMW if a problem occurs.

Last edited by DieselDiner; 08-24-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
DeadBang1968
United_States
Rep

Lubricity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Depending on the year the car it's rated for a max of 5%-7% bio diesel content. Believe one of the main issues is lubricity. While Bio has great Cetane ratings, it has much lower lubricity. This can result in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failures. Not sure if the very expensive injectors are impacted. I'm sure your warrenty would be voided if a fuel system failure occured while running 100% bio.

Lubricity of biodiesel is many times higher than petro diesel. The main issue is viscosity and and the fuel quality, ie ASTM standard fuel. As little as 2% biodiesel added to diesel replaces the lubrication lost by going from high sulfer fuel to low sulfur fuel.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
DeadBang1968
United_States
Rep

Why I started this thread

I understand what BMW says about biodiesel, and I understand that are many articles with negative statements about biodiesel in newer diesels, however I wanted to hear from people driving 335ds who are running it anyway. If you are not running it and don't plan to then this is not the thread to be on. I started running b100 9 years ago in diesels I had then, and moved on to two tank systems and more recently blends of oil and gasoline. I have been told for years that I am "ruining my motors", "it won't work", you will void your warranty. Never blew a motor or ruined any part of the car from runnning bio fuels. It did work and is working in my other diesels and I never had warranty issues, as the fuel did not cause problems related to fuels.

As for my 335d, I found two gentleman on an older thread using b100, and made contact with one of them. He is at 10,000 miles on b100. No SES, no problems. I want to hear from anyone else, what problems, if any, they have had running biodiesel at 100%. His main issue has been more frequent oil changes, due to fuel dilution of the engine oil, so he changes the oil when he sees the level up 1 quart from where it should be. I never intended to go 15,000 miles on the engine oil anyway, so changing oil more often is not an issue to me.

So, if you are running b100, or planning on running it, Welcome! If you are just here to tell me or anyone else on here what a bad idea it is, take your advice elsewhere, thankyou.

Last edited by DeadBang1968; 08-24-2012 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'll take my advice wherever I want, including this thread, thank you. I've been here much longer than you, and I'm not going to sit idly by while you try to feed the community bad information.

As you acknowledge (finally, but not in your op): " I understand that are many articles with negative statements about biodiesel in newer diesels". Say it up front, not after someone points out the obvious.

I didn't attack you or what you're doing, merely provided the facts about biodiesel in our cars. If you and others choose to ignor it, cool. But at least make those who don't know the issues aware of them as a service to the community.
      08-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

I've been filling up with Biodiesel for over a year now, no issues. They have B5 type though, so it's acceptable by BMW.

Never tried B100...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
DeadBang1968
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
I'll take my advice wherever I want, including this thread, thank you. I've been here much longer than you, and I'm not going to sit idly by while you try to feed the community bad information.

As you acknowledge (finally, but not in your op): " I understand that are many articles with negative statements about biodiesel in newer diesels". Say it up front, not after someone points out the obvious.

I didn't attack you or what you're doing, merely provided the facts about biodiesel in our cars. If you and others choose to ignor it, cool. But at least make those who don't know the issues aware of them as a service to the community.
My statement was not an attack at you. I did not and will not feed bad information to the community. I simply asked who is using b100. As to your statement regarding mine about "negative statements about biodiesel in newer diesels", again, I simply asked those who are using b100 to put their experience out here on this forum for others to see. As to how long you have been here to compared to me, just because you have been here longer has nothing to do with the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner
Biodiesel actually has superior lubricity to dino diesel. Adding small amounts of bio to dino diesel (1-2%) can significantly improve lubricity.

It is a very bad idea to use B100 in our cars.

The problem on our cars (with B100) is the use of the DPF and regen cycles. Read this article, which contains a very good explanation of the problem. Note that it was published by an organization that promotes biodiesel, so they don't have a hidden agenda: http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...ction-problem/]

Note the 2 problems; first, that biodiesel in too high percentages dilutes our engine oil. But - also pay attention to the second problem: that the bio that makes it to the sump interacts with additives and increases the possibility of engine wear.

BMW only warrants our engines for 5-7% bio (depending on the model year), anything beyond that won't be covered by BMW if a problem occurs.
+1. Pure Bio does provide a better lubricity vs regular or partially premixed up to 20% ulsd. Even 10% and up is unhealthy to many fuel systems. B100 will clog and destroy our fuel system with it's physical contents. I have't heard yet of any 100% optimized modern diesel fuel system to run B100 in a car/truck in NA. Unless it's custom.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
DeadBang1968
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG View Post
+1. Pure Bio does provide a better lubricity vs regular or partially premixed up to 20% ulsd. Even 10% and up is unhealthy to many fuel systems. B100 will clog and destroy our fuel system with it's physical contents. I have't heard yet of any 100% optimized modern diesel fuel system to run B100 in NA.
Again, I asked for anyone using it to post their experience. If you are not using it and don't plan on using it, and think it will destroy the car, great. You are not the people I asked for input.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBang1968 View Post
Again, I asked for anyone using it to post their experience. If you are not using it and don't plan on using it, and think it will destroy the car, great. You are not the people I asked for input.
That's fair, I only want to make sure the guys that aren't up to speed are aware of the shortcomings. Onward and upward!
      08-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
DeadBang1968
United_States
Rep

That is fair, too

Quote:
That's fair, I only want to make sure the guys that aren't up to speed are aware of the shortcomings. Onward and upward!

That is fair, too. Honestly the first time I ever ran biodiesel in my first diesel, I was nervous. That was a 2003 VW Golf, not a BMW. Since then I have owned many diesels. I own 3 diesel vehicles and a tractor now.

I looked for any posts this last week I could find on anyone using b100 in the BMW, and quite honestly, there are not many. I am guessing most BMW owners probably dont worry about fuel cost, nor are they willing to experiment with that expensive a car. bkhi, a member on here, has been using b100 for 10,000 plus miles. I was hoping find anyone else who has done the same and talk about it on here.

I just bought my car last friday, I am down to a third of tank in the car, and I have 32 gallons of pure biodiesel sitting there in a storage tank. Based on bkhi's experience, I should have no problems except changing the oil more often. It would be nice to hear from someone else on here, though, who has done it.

Last edited by DeadBang1968; 08-24-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Another good place to check is the tdi forum. There is an entire section devoted to biodiesel. There's a lot of good info there that might be helpful. I recall there is one guy that ran WVO for something like 140,000 miles, and ultimately quit it. He put up a really good post that walked through all the mods he made to his car, etc. Anyway, might be worth a look, since VW has been bringing diesels over here for quite a while (as you know), and thus there is quite a rabid fanbase at that site.

Edit: Found the article I mentioned: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=315809
      08-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
DeadBang1968
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another good place to check is the tdi forum. There is an entire section devoted to biodiesel. There's a lot of good info there that might be helpful. I recall there is one guy that ran WVO for something like 140,000 miles, and ultimately quit it. He put up a really good post that walked through all the mods he made to his car, etc. Anyway, might be worth a look, since VW has been bringing diesels over here for quite a while (as you know), and thus there is quite a rabid fanbase at that site.

Edit: Found the article I mentioned: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=315809

I have been over there in the past, but since I got rid of my VW, I have not went back much. My F350 is a 7.3 as is my Excursion. I read the Ford forums often. On these 335d's I have not found a whole lot of people using biodiesel. Even if they have had problems I would like to hear about them.

On my homemade fuel for my Fords, the biggest issue I had in the past was fuel filters. I fixed that when I started using a batch centrifuge, cleaning the fuel down to a 1/2 micron.

After reading that article on biodiesel I got an idea regarding the flashpoint of biodiesel I will have to run by a professor a Washington State University who I made freinds with years ago. He runs a Masters program on biofuels. Mixing biodiesel with a thinning agent would lower the viscosity and lower the flashpoint, similar to what I do now on my blends of cooking oil for my Fords. Testing that theory will give him something to do in the lab.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

You seem to be very nervous judging by your posts. Gl with your research and experiments...

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

B100 in our cars? NFW would I put that shit in my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

@deadbang, sorry I'm another one not using b100 (yet). But, i read the whole thread for education purposes. I really want to be able to go to biodiesel in the long term. An issue to be concious of is that dynodiesel leaves trace stuff behind that other dyno diesel will not dissolve. But this stuff is soluable in bioD. What I'm trying to say is if you have a vehicle that has been running dynoD for long term and you want to switch over, there would be potential for clogging up parts in the fuel system. The BioD is not clogging due to its own chemistry but rather because it breaks stuff loose from the dynoD.

Do you all follow me? I bought my diesel as with long term use of bioD in mind. Most here will think I'm crazy but I am waiting to get closer to warranty's end. I'm doing "middle" oil changes on my own as I don't care for the idea of 12,000 mile oil intervals. So, running bioD isn't going to increase that expense as I'm already there.

Good luck deadbang
Appreciate 0