E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Foam Cannon Questions

12-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Foam Cannon Questions

AG has a good deal on their foam cannon right now, so I am debating whether or not to try it. I am a bit unclear on whether people are covering the car with foam as a soak only or using a single bucket to wipe it off with a mitt to wash the car. My car gets marring very easily, so I am looking to eliminate as much touching of the paint as possible and the mitt washing right now is the only time I touch the paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
I use it as a pre-wash/soak. This will remove the majority of the heavier dirt/debris from the paint before I begin washing. I may rinse beefore actually washing the car ...... depends on how dirty the paint is.

I use a few different carwash soaps including Dodo Juice, Meguiars Gold Class, RainX and CG.

By far the best lather comes from using the RainX. Leaves a pretty good shine as well.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
I use it as a pre-wash/soak. This will remove the majority of the heavier dirt/debris from the paint before I begin washing. I may rinse beefore actually washing the car ...... depends on how dirty the paint is.

I use a few different carwash soaps including Dodo Juice, Meguiars Gold Class, RainX and CG.

By far the best lather comes from using the RainX. Leaves a pretty good shine as well.
So you still do the same wash method as before with the foam cannon as a pre-soak? I am just trying to go more touchless.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
So you still do the same wash method as before with the foam cannon as a pre-soak? I am just trying to go more touchless.
It depends on how dirty the car is. Many times I can use the foam cannon and then rinse & dry.

Done.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
knivez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check out this

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-75QGFM.../dp/B000XTH1GY

I think it's cheaper than what you're looking at.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

The difference between a Foam Cannon and a Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun is the water pressure (40 to 90 psi) usually connected to a low pressure garden hose; the HP Foam Lance (Rated Pressure - 2,300 psi) is connected to a high pressure washer (i.e. Karcher Model K5.93M, Nilfisk 140.2-9 S Xtra or similar unit)

Also known as foam cannon, foam lance or cam spray unit; the principle behind them is to minimize the amount of paint surface friction necessary to clean the vehicle by pre-soaking it with foam. By allowing the aerated cleaning agent to dwell on the paint surface, giving the surfactants time to reduce the surface tension; so that water /foam can spread and wet the surface.

When using foam cannon, the viscosity of the product plays a huge part in how much foam is obtained and how much product is used. The foam starts loosening and lubricating the paint immediately, thus gentle touch washing with a soft mitt substantially decreases the risk of micro-marring because the paint is covered in a layer of lubrication. Its other advantage is that the surface isn't 'touched' as much as in hand washing
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
The difference between a Foam Cannon and a Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun is the water pressure (40 to 90 psi) usually connected to a low pressure garden hose; the HP Foam Lance (Rated Pressure - 2,300 psi) is connected to a high pressure washer (i.e. Karcher Model K5.93M, Nilfisk 140.2-9 S Xtra or similar unit)

Also known as foam cannon, foam lance or cam spray unit; the principle behind them is to minimize the amount of paint surface friction necessary to clean the vehicle by pre-soaking it with foam. By allowing the aerated cleaning agent to dwell on the paint surface, giving the surfactants time to reduce the surface tension; so that water /foam can spread and wet the surface.

When using foam cannon, the viscosity of the product plays a huge part in how much foam is obtained and how much product is used. The foam starts loosening and lubricating the paint immediately, thus gentle touch washing with a soft mitt substantially decreases the risk of micro-marring because the paint is covered in a layer of lubrication. Its other advantage is that the surface isn't 'touched' as much as in hand washing
I have a simply electric power washer that is about 2000 psi. It that going to be sufficient? Your explanation really helped a whole lot.
Appreciate 0