E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > BMW to Mercedes to Skoda.....

02-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #23
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Very nice

The local plod appear to have just added an estate version to their unmarked fleet.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #24
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Looks spot on Peter, we will be having one on our drive later on this year when the missus' C5 goes back. Looking at the 170 diesel as well, and prob get the DTUK tuning box for it. Ours will prob be in metallic racing blue and maybe in estate variant.

Be intersting to see what you think of the engine and also the mp3 interface as thats defo a box I will tick when ordering.

The wheels look very similar to the Leon FR alloys - missus had the 180bhp Turbo version before her current car and the wheels were similar but finished in a gun metal grey finish instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #25
Skid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by singh182 View Post
its based on a passat aint it?
Nope, they are based on the mkV golf chassis.

The Superb is based on the Passat.

I do like the vRS, one thing to be aware of with the 170tdi engine is if only used for short journeys they can have problems with the dpf.

Have a check through the ukmkV's forum or any audi/skoda forums.

Enjoy oyur new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #26
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

i like them a lot, however i would remove the 'spoiler'.

A pal has one and you can drive them very quickly indeed over b roads. you will enjoy it.

I bet i end up in something like that soon. im getting bored of cars.
      02-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #27
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Nope, they are based on the mkV golf chassis.

I do like the vRS, one thing to be aware of with the 170tdi engine is if only used for short journeys they can have problems with the dpf.

Have a check through the ukmkV's forum or any audi/skoda forums.

Enjoy oyur new car.
I can testify to that, had a few issues with my Leon but I didn't do any short runs!

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #28
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
i like them a lot, however i would remove the 'spoiler'.

A pal has one and you can drive them very quickly indeed over b roads. you will enjoy it.

Cheers Steve, I think the spoiler stays, if I used my junior hacksaw to remove it I wouldn't get the cut straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-367 View Post
I can testify to that, had a few issues with my Leon but I didn't do any short runs!
I had heard snippets about the DPFs. To be honest I don't care, if it goes wrong I drop it at the dealers and they give me a loan car until it's fixed and I will do that as many times as needs be. To me, this is the beauty of buying cheapish and new - with a three year warranty, as opposed to a 3 year old Golf (or whatever) which would leave me out of pocket if it goes wrong.

On a seperate note, was at the Volvo dealers today, my son's wheelchair hoist was being transferred to the V70 R-Design from the Merc. The V70 looks absolutely lovely in R Design trim. I choose the right colour - dark blue metallic and it contrasts really well with the chrome coloured wing mirrors and other trim. It is very nice and comfortable inside too, pick that one up for my son on 1 March on a '10' plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #29
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Nothing less than a Passat eh?

Fair play Will. Its quite good driving a company car and not caring about stone chips, fuel economy and everything else.

Driving the BMW seems a lot more luxurious than it used to though.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
'Pikey' I could be insulted if I knew what it meant!
Sorry mate no offence meant
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #31
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Love the car! I'd be a very happy man with one of those

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #32
ElegantSpoon
There I was balls deep in a...
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D

Looks great shame its a skoda! only joking looks very nice indeeeeed!
      02-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Peter, nice car. I like these and the white looks good. White cars are always best

You must be worse than me for buying cars....at least I sell mine BEFORE buying another one rather than collect them on my drive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Its a nice looking car and worth every penny, shame I am such a badge snob and would feel a bit like a pikey driving one.
Jon, you are a pikey so don't worry about feeling like one

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Looks spot on Peter, we will be having one on our drive later on this year when the missus' C5 goes back.
I also really like those new C5's - what's it like? My dad has a C6 and it's a pretty special and unique car! Nice though the Octavia is, not sure I'd swap a C5 for one. Well, actually, with my form I probably would swap it just for the sake of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Yeah....right! You wanna get yourself a Merc to relight that fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Fair play Will. Its quite good driving a company car and not caring about stone chips, fuel economy and everything else.
You keep telling yourself that Jon...you may convince yourself one day How are you mate??
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
woodyuk
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: future owner of the dxb

that looks lovely mate, im looking at the fabia vrs, i think i would try and steal the steering wheels out of one of these for the fabia and maybe the front seats, anyway looks good mate have fun
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #35
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I also really like those new C5's - what's it like? My dad has a C6 and it's a pretty special and unique car! Nice though the Octavia is, not sure I'd swap a C5 for one. Well, actually, with my form I probably would swap it just for the sake of it!
The C5 is a great car actually . She had a Seat Leon 180bhp FR before and she misses the poke a bit to be honest. The Citroen came along on a very cheap lease deal and was too good to turn down (£170 a month, brand new inc road tax!). The 2.0hdi engine is actually pretty good (138bhp i think?) and returns 38mpg round town, does 48 on a run, good for the size of the car. The boot is cavernous and the interior is VERY good quality with plenty of gadgets and toys. It's downfall is that it is too softly sprung with far too much body roll on corners. I notice it more because all my cars are always the opposite, but it would benefit from stiffer suspension.

The Octavia will be a decent balance of retaining a decent size car but with a bit more poke, without losing out spec wise and importantly keeping the price right
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #36
RiCh
Private
Rep
Drives:

Very nice car mate, i think it looks pretty smart in Candy White. The facelifted version of the octy imo looks much than the previous one.
16k for a new car is a bargain! The new model Astra (basic) costs that much Not that i would ever buy another Vauxhall.

I'm really tempted to trade in my Fabia vRS and upgrade to one of these, especially with the scrappage scheme, no VAT and the 0% finance offers that are on.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #37
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I had heard snippets about the DPFs. To be honest I don't care, if it goes wrong I drop it at the dealers and they give me a loan car until it's fixed and I will do that as many times as needs be. To me, this is the beauty of buying cheapish and new - with a three year warranty, as opposed to a 3 year old Golf (or whatever) which would leave me out of pocket if it goes wrong.
I hear what you are saying, it just got a little wearing after a while!

I found that using Miller oils

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers..._AUTO_FUEL.htm

It seemed to help with the cleanliness of the DPF and also with the economy, for the sake of £10 per bottle from Halfords (probably cheaper of Ebay or somewhere) it just saved the hassle!

Enjoy the car though

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)

Last edited by foxy-367; 02-18-2010 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: fixed the original quote!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #38
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

[QUOTE=foxy-367;6746672]
Quote:

QUOTE]

I hear what you are saying, it just got a little wearing after a while!

I found that using Miller oils

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers..._AUTO_FUEL.htm

It seemed to help with the cleanliness of the DPF and also with the economy, for the sake of £10 per bottle from Halfords (probably cheaper of Ebay or somewhere) it just saved the hassle!

Enjoy the car though
I just read about this stuff, interesting. Does its use invalidate the warranty? It sounds as if it more than pays for itself if ut does improve fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #39
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No its just a fuel additive, add 2 1/2 capfuls (Ithink it was) per fuel tank, it helps clean the injectors etc, always felt the car ran a little smoother with it and found the DPF regenenration (much more noticable in VAG DPF equipped diesels) ocurred less.

Appreciate 0