E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any ideas whats wrong?

01-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Any ideas whats wrong?

My car loses power at slow speeds while turning. To the point where the throttle can be floored and nothing happens. The traction light will flash while there is no power. If I lift the throttle will come back eventually. A lot different from the car cutting power for actually losing traction under heavy throttle. This is a total cut in power. It has happen 5-6 times in the past month. Once pulling out into traffic, a bit unnerving. Brought it to the dealer, said they couldn't replicate it and there wasn't any codes. Any idea what it could be? Also the other night car power was surging or oscillating while driving at a constant ~50mph, not too long after it had just cut the power while driving in the neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
NTXE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

The first thing that comes to mind is a steering angle sensor on its way out. When you make a turn the inside wheels turn slower than the outside. If the steering angle sensor is faulty and is not recognizing that the steering wheel is turned then the DSC unit will interpret the different wheel speeds as wheel slip and cut engine power accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
BMWN54tech
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXE92
The first thing that comes to mind is a steering angle sensor on its way out. When you make a turn the inside wheels turn slower than the outside. If the steering angle sensor is faulty and is not recognizing that the steering wheel is turned then the DSC unit will interpret the different wheel speeds as wheel slip and cut engine power accordingly.
This is where I would start. If you are worried about driving it in the meantime hold your dtc button for 5 seconds which will disable traction control

2010 E92 335i 6-speed 25k miles. - For sale.
1989 E30 325i coupe 5-speed DD
Appreciate 0