E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Are you guys really following the BMW regular scheduled maintenance? Discuss! >:(

01-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
If you have a mechanic who says brake fluid and coolant never need to be replaced please find a new mechanic.
Ditto.

I follow my own, I change the oil every 5k miles, brake fluid and coolant annually, belts/hoses biennially. This is my first automatic so I will decide how often I want to change them up this summer.

I always overdo it. Maybe its why I still have a running E30 in the garage (well, I CAN run, I just never drive it). I dont just consider the fact that fluids are supposed to last X amount of years, they are also engine cleaners. Changing them more often clears out carbon, metal flakes and soaps that can build up over a long time and wear or clog components. Probably not in 3-5 years but in 10+ years the difference will show.

I think the idea of long life or lifetime fluids really came into being when makers/dealers started providing services as part of warranties. They wanted to do as little as possible, that means as little maintenance as they can get away with while still making sure the car lives out the warranty. Once the warranty is out they don't care how long it lasts.

If you change cars constantly just use their plan, otherwise I would do my own in-between.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
Are you guys really following the BMW regular scheduled maintenance?

My indy shop advised me he has been working on BMW's for close to 20 years and he told me not to worry about the brake fluid flush and the coolent flush. Its saposta bee done this month but I'm the kinda guy that keeps his cars for 15+ years (hopfully) and thats why I purchased this car for.

Also maintenance what are you guys ABSOLUTLY doing?

Brad
      01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
JRJ1970
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32

I follow the maintenance schedule to a T while under warranty. I also pay for an oil change every 7,000 miles.
      01-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #26
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Google Mike Miller BMW for a schedule.

I would at least be changing the air filters engine and cabin more often.
And use some of the Inputs from the Mike Miller old school schedule to change out the lifetime fluids but that's me .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Ditto.

I follow my own, I change the oil every 5k miles, brake fluid and coolant annually, belts/hoses biennially. This is my first automatic so I will decide how often I want to change them up this summer.

I always overdo it. Maybe its why I still have a running E30 in the garage (well, I CAN run, I just never drive it). I dont just consider the fact that fluids are supposed to last X amount of years, they are also engine cleaners. Changing them more often clears out carbon, metal flakes and soaps that can build up over a long time and wear or clog components. Probably not in 3-5 years but in 10+ years the difference will show.

I think the idea of long life or lifetime fluids really came into being when makers/dealers started providing services as part of warranties. They wanted to do as little as possible, that means as little maintenance as they can get away with while still making sure the car lives out the warranty. Once the warranty is out they don't care how long it lasts.

If you change cars constantly just use their plan, otherwise I would do my own in-between.
Oh, I don't know. My car is 151,000 miles past the warranty on the BMW E90 maintenance schedule.
Appreciate 0