E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > RagingKileak's New Car Journal - 335i M-Sport

04-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #67
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E46 M3 / Bmw E30 318i cab

nice update ! the car is very nice.

need to get you booked in for the next stage of upgrades !
      04-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #68
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Sounds as if your really enjoying being back in a BM Matt Car is looking good still liking your Golf although I've not seen much of it lately as my mates using it whilst he's looking for an M3 should get it back this week but picking another GT-R up in a couple of weeks so if your down at Andrew's or going past pop in and I'll take you for a blast.
      04-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #69
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Looking good Matt. Do you have a link for the brakes/pads that you bought?
I wrote a detailed review when I got them, here's the link: REVIEW: Cool Carbon brake pads / EBC rotors

I always ordered the CC pads from Autoindividual.com as they've good prices and the shipping is not expensive. I got the rotors from EBC themselves; I think they're even made in the UK, so you should be able to source them in England I think.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #70
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Thanks Marcel,

Chris, I might well take you up on that offer next time I am around!

Glad you are at least finding the Golf ok when you have driven it. By the way, I found the 2010-2011 MOT certificate the other day, do you want me to post it to you?

If so, feel free to PM me your address (I don't have it now as I clear my messages out periodically) so I can send it over!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #71
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Thanks Marcel,

Chris, I might well take you up on that offer next time I am around!

Glad you are at least finding the Golf ok when you have driven it. By the way, I found the 2010-2011 MOT certificate the other day, do you want me to post it to you?

If so, feel free to PM me your address (I don't have it now as I clear my messages out periodically) so I can send it over!

Matt
Cheers Matt sent you a pm
      05-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #72
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

No new pics, so only a marginally interesting update for you.

Last weekend I fitted an Alpine Kit and some Logic7 subs which were supplied by Gizze (thanks Guy) for what is a really good sound upgrade. The subs surprised me quite a bit I must say. For an average music listener like me, I'd say this was actually a very worthwhile upgrade!

As my car is a 2009 HDD based Nav car, I do believe I need a bit of coding, as the setup does appear too bright. This is especially true when on the phone, when the pitch of a female voice is fucking awful!! Will sort this in due course!

Next up, just a quick update on what is now in the garage.

I've now got a JB4, some Downpipes and an Intercooler waiting to fit, with a STETT CAI and some DV's/Charge Pipe to follow soon.

I'll be fitting the.... Hang on, I'll be fitting fuck all or else the car will be a fireball. Ant1985 will be fitting the JB4, STETT and DV's in one go with my help, probably next weekend.

Next, it will be jobs that need the front bumper off, so the IC will be joined by an Oil Cooler before then.

The DP's will be fit once I find a decent spanner man and have the time!

All that is left after that is the Birds upgrade. I'm going for the full diff, ARB and suspension upgrade, probably in July.

More updates as they happen!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #73
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sounds ace mate!
      05-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #74
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

Sounds like it's coming along nicely! Have you tried a car with the Birds suspension?
      05-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #75
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Your car is going to be very sorted for the northern meet. I look f orward to it
      05-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #76
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Your car is going to be very sorted for the northern meet. I look f orward to it
Another one to treat with respect . Watch out 4-pot boys .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #77
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm certainly looking forward to some of these stages - it's going to be awesome!!

Sean - I've been a passenger in Birds equipped cars 3 times. Tony's, Marcel's and the Birds/Hartge car, which I think has the B3.S kit fitted - or did at the time!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #78
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
No new pics, so only a marginally interesting update for you.

Last weekend I fitted an Alpine Kit and some Logic7 subs which were supplied by Gizze (thanks Guy) for what is a really good sound upgrade. The subs surprised me quite a bit I must say. For an average music listener like me, I'd say this was actually a very worthwhile upgrade!

As my car is a 2009 HDD based Nav car, I do believe I need a bit of coding, as the setup does appear too bright. This is especially true when on the phone, when the pitch of a female voice is fucking awful!! Will sort this in due course!

Next up, just a quick update on what is now in the garage.

I've now got a JB4, some Downpipes and an Intercooler waiting to fit, with a STETT CAI and some DV's/Charge Pipe to follow soon.

I'll be fitting the.... Hang on, I'll be fitting fuck all or else the car will be a fireball. Ant1985 will be fitting the JB4, STETT and DV's in one go with my help, probably next weekend.

Next, it will be jobs that need the front bumper off, so the IC will be joined by an Oil Cooler before then.

The DP's will be fit once I find a decent spanner man and have the time!

All that is left after that is the Birds upgrade. I'm going for the full diff, ARB and suspension upgrade, probably in July.

More updates as they happen!

Matt
sounds like im going to have a busy weekend !
      05-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #79
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Gets you experience!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #80
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

maybe i should become a mechanic rather than working in IT

seens all i do is mechanics on a weekend or afterwork.
      06-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #81
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Morning all,

Another update and this time it's a bit more of a major one.

This weekend Ant (Ant1985) came round and we decided to fit what we thought would be a couple of easy parts.

The first thing to go in was a JB4 supplied via another forum member here, which to be honest is just as easy to fit as the JB3, although I maintain that Terry@BMS leaves a fair bit to the imagination with his guides.

This time (unlike with the JB3 we fit to my 135i) I wanted to run the USB cable into the glovebox and as the second half of this update will explain, I also wanted to fit a STETT CAI, so Ant had a lot of plastics to remove from the engine bay.

With the JB4 plugged in and both of us wanting to get things done, I decided to unlock the car so we could get the JB4 USB cable wired through the firewall. Unfortunately, the hole we were feeding the wire through was completely wrong and it just wouldn't come out the other side.

What followed was me (rather unhappily) suggesting that Ant lifts the whole ECU + JB4 + tons of wires in the air (as far as the wires will stretch) whilst I fed the cable in underneath it and out of the correct hole at the back of the ECU casing. Fun times were not had as obviously I was fairly convinced that something would be damaged or that one or another ECU/JB cable would become disconnected with the ECU awake, causing carnage.

As it happened, it went well enough and the ECU casing was put back together successfully, with the wire also fed into the glovebox for datalogging and updates at another time.

So, with all the plastics out at the top of the engine bay, we went to work on removing the stock airbox, grille air feed pipe and other associated bits and pieces. Ant also took the passenger side front wheel off, along with its arch lining. All of this is required to fit the STETT Cool Air Intake I purchased from yet another member here.

I had been made aware that there can be fitment issues on low cars, but noone had specifically mentioned right hand drive cars. The STETT guide suggests the removel of a plastic cover which sits behind the open part of the fog light grill in order to feed cool air into the intake.

Unfortunately, on my car, this exists on the drivers side and not the passenger side. Instead, my car had a piece of solid black plastic about six inches long which forms part of the whole piece that surrounds the fog light. We took the fog light out for a closer look and decided that the blanking plate could easily be cut down to size without compromising the fog light in any way and without the cut being visible.

I got busy with the hacksaw whilst Ant fettled the STETT pipework this way and that to fit it in the crowded engine bay. As per the guide, we also removed the Power Steering reservoir bracket, but still struggled for space.

In the end, with the pipe positioned upside down (the bend at the top instead of the bottom) and the rubber join placed at a slight angle, we were able to fit the pipe (and the filter) in a good location behind (and slightly above) the newly cut foglight grill.

The next tricky step was to replace the wheel arch liner which we had offerred up several times during the process. It is now an incredibly tight fit and I can really see why it could be an issue on a lower car. My liner did go back on, but only just.

Finally, we were left with the issue of the Power Steering Reservoir. The STETT guide apparently has a suggestion for this, but I didn't get the full guide - only a DIY post on this forum. So, we cable tied the reservoir to the engine bay via the same boltholes as the original bracket had been secured - it now sits fairly still and in an upright position, but will need to be bolted more securely later.

Also, in fitting the CAI one of the stock hoses going to the frontmost diverter valve has been put under significantly more pressure than before, so I will be replacing the DV's soon - as I had planned to anyway.

With the car back together the only thing left to do was a test drive. I mentioned before that I think the information provided by BMS is a bit sketchy, even if their aftersales is also superb. To that end, I have not been able to find a clear and comprehensive guide about how to use a JB4 via the steering wheel etc, but I did manage to figure it out via forum posts and so on.

I set the car to map 5 (autolearn) and went for a spin. Firstly I love the way the car now feels and goes - its a smoother and more powerful delivery than I recall with the JB3 and it seems to work perfectly with the DCT gearbox. I will do some datalogging soon, but am basically very pleased with the results so far.

I have a lot of mods to come, plus I was running on a half V-Power/half Esso standard fuel mix, so it will be interesting to see how the JB4 scales up with the changes I make in the future.

On the JB4 itself, I love some of the new features. Tach/Speedo control is much easier than the pedal based method used in the JB3 and I also really like the optimum shift indicator too, as it just catches the corner of my eye when driving in manual mode.

I also like the oil/fuel guage hijack in principle, but I would be interested in knowing more about it. Forum posts seem to have concluded that the fuel guage represents boost, but I have no idea what the oil temp guage is now doing so if anyone can fill me in, I would appreciate it.

The STETT CAI is also a decent bit of kit, if not specifically much use to us in the UK. If I had paid full price for it, I would be fairly dissapointed by its fit, but the performance seems to be reasonable enough. I've tried it with the JB4 set to 0 and it makes the car feel a bit more zippy than it did before. It also sounds nice and offers a pleasant, quiet induction howl which never becomes obtrusive, so that's nice. I will do some AIT tests IF the JB4 allows that kind of thing once I can.

So, next will probably be a DIY of DV's + possibly charge pipe and then shortly after (or even before depending how things go) I will be getting the Intercooler and Downpipes fitted, probably along with an oil cooler.

I am not 100% sure I will be able to get the suspension/LSD upgrade done before I go to the Ring in August, but I will certainly try.

I've attached a couple of pics of the fitting process although one is very blurred. I will take some of the fog light cut and the filter fitment etc when I can, along with some datalogging information.

Thanks
Regards
Matt
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #82
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

ha ha ha i have no idea you had taken a pic of me hard at work !

well with all the bits fitted it does shift ! very impressed
      06-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #83
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1985 View Post
ha ha ha i have no idea you had taken a pic of me hard at work !

well with all the bits fitted it does shift ! very impressed
It's all over his twitter feed as well Ant.

Interesting work boys, looking forward to NM4 to seeing how much difference it makes it 'visibly' quicker than my old un modded knacker
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #84
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Great work Matt & Ant. I'm pleased my CAI has been put to good use! Although it's a PITA to get it in, my garage at the time almost threw a fit while installing it.

Cool also to hear the JB4 works well. I'll try it out soon as well with the RBs.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      06-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #85
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

someone at work just said it was all over twitter as well lol

marcel is wasnt to bad to fit the filter its just all really tight also the power steering res has to be relocated as the original bracket wouldnt fit.

the jb4 was easy to fit it all plugs in etc and it all came flooding back from when i fitted a jb3 on the 1 series.

so whats next for me to fit, you were talking about pulling the bumper off and fitting the intercooler. how about soome thing difficult lol.
      06-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #86
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

IC and Oil Cooler if you like but it doesn't sound like it will be fun!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #87
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

marcel you got any parts for a e46 m3 ? lol
      06-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #88
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

sounds good i think

as i know nothing about cars, the only thing i could fit myself would be a set of pink fluffy dice

o well my unmodded 335i will just have to try and keep up with your fancy dan tools
Appreciate 0