E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How do you remove this brass connector on the intake manifold? 335i

04-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

How do you remove this brass connector on the intake manifold? 335i

Does anyone know how to remove this brass connector on the intake manifold throttle body?

i couldn't remove it. Couldn't get the manifold to come off completely, if i don't remove this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

When I pulled my manifold I unbolted the throttle body from the manifold itself so I never had to remove that. It's pretty easy as it's only 4 bolts.
      04-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

If you are facing the front of the car, you will need to sqeeze at the 1'oclock and 7'oclock positions, and pull it out. squeezing at these positions allows the connector to be pulled out.
      04-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep

But I don't understand guys, he bolts are facing upwards on the throttle body so how could I remove it? blindly? it was very tight/hard to reach.

the manifold wouldn't come off, i could only get it to reach the end of the stud but that's only 1 inch apart from the engine block. I wanted to change the intake manifold gaskets out at 66k miles but couldn't do it.

Do I squeeze the black rubber grip thing? Also, does the brass fitting stay put and the hose part come off?

I heard that the intake manifold nipple is commonly broken off and cost a lot to fix. Is this the infamous "nipple" everyone is talking about?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
But I don't understand guys, he bolts are facing upwards on the throttle body so how could I remove it? blindly? it was very tight/hard to reach.

the manifold wouldn't come off, i could only get it to reach the end of the stud but that's only 1 inch apart from the engine block. I wanted to change the intake manifold gaskets out at 66k miles but couldn't do it.

Do I squeeze the black rubber grip thing? Also, does the brass fitting stay put and the hose part come off?

I heard that the intake manifold nipple is commonly broken off and cost a lot to fix. Is this the infamous "nipple" everyone is talking about?
It is a pain to get off, but you are thinking correctly.. yes squeeze the black rubber things. They are 180 degrees from each other (2 of them). No this is not the nipple, the nipple is where the vac line is attached to on the manifold.
      04-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
It is a pain to get off, but you are thinking correctly.. yes squeeze the black rubber things. They are 180 degrees from each other (2 of them). No this is not the nipple, the nipple is where the vac line is attached to on the manifold.
so I'm assuming this nipple also has to come off too, if I were to remove the intake manifold completely (turn it over) in order to replace the intake manifold gaskets??

there's a high degree/risk of breaking these I suppose? how do I remove it properly? any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Squeeze the connector and push it forward on to the TB first then pull it back. Usually makes it come off easier working it back and forth this way.

On the vacuum nipple I just remove the vac line from the T at the diverter valves and pull the intake leaving the line attached to the nipple.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
SCGT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It's not a big deal to just remove the throttle body and maneuver it a bit in order to more easily see the piece you're trying to remove, which can be difficult, but everything is on this car.

On the back side of the manifold almost at the aftmost end is a clip holding a wire/connector, don't forget to pop open that clip and remove the wire prior to ripping the manifold off.

There is a vacuum line attached to a nipple just aft of the throttle body area. This line goes to a "Y" branching to your diverter valves. Good idea to replace the line, just cut it and remove the remaining vac line from the nipple once the manifold is off completely. IMO best way to do it is to use a utility knife to slice the dried up vac line parallel to the nipple, then just gently peel the old line off -trying to yank the line off, especially if it's not perfectly aligned, is a great way to break that nipple.

Also, I suggest paying close attention to how you remove the manifold since, in my experience, 100% of the time it's a PITA to fit back in.
Appreciate 0