E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread

Closed Thread

11-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #89
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Bad News: THe Doberman chewed one of the Unicorns yesterday and she is in ICU.
Seriously? Is she okay?

My parents dog we had growing up used to eat all kinds of bad stuff. We had a scare once when the dog ate a bunch of ribbon. The vet said to let nature take its course, and told us about a Doberman that swallowed a beach towel whole. They operated on the Doberman IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #90
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
One more little thing....

At the Exit 17 Esso there is a fine Aquajet car wash, for that last minute pimping before you cross over for coffee and toast!
I'm trying to get my bumperplugs in time!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2005, 11:34 PM   #91
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
Hmmm... I'm trying to edit my original post to add a couple of names but can't. What the??

Anyway, to add the official roster:

Discoboy1
MTL-E90
I've fixed it so that you can now edit the original post.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #92
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
I've fixed it so that you can now edit the original post.
Wow, that was a pretty swift response. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #93
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

jwocky is the man.

Our vet says that Dobermans are obsessed with their stomachs!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #94
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Sorry to intrude on the Dobermans matters and be off-topic, but I wont make it for the 19th. Don't think I don't want to meet you guys, it's just going to be on another occasion and I hope you have a lot of fun at the meet...!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #95
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Any of you guys had fun in the snow today ? Hope all of you had their winters on !

I didn't ! But then again , I don't work so ... But going to get my boy at school, a trip which takes usually 5 minutes max @ 30km/h, took 12 minutes at barely 20km/h ! Wow ! do these cars suck in the snow without winters on. I know I'm a dummy for driving without them, but I wanted to keep my summer ones for you guys this week-end . Now it's gonna depend on the forecast for this week-end. I might have to put them on anyways I guess.... At least you'll see my winter wheels.

BTW, you can see some more recent pictures of my ride at http://milou.ca:2112/galleryMilou/ma...m&g2_itemId=23

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #96
sergiodimarco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330I

Hi everyone.
I didnt know about the MTL thread
Nice to see I'm not the only Montrealer infatuated with his/her new toy
Handled beautifully in the first snow fall of the season
(Dunlop Grasspic)
The meet sound great, unfortunately im leaving for Florida that morning
(Flying not driving) will miss my baby, but..............she'll feel like a virgin when I get back!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #97
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitch
Any of you guys had fun in the snow today ? Hope all of you had their winters on !

I didn't ! But then again , I don't work so ... But going to get my boy at school, a trip which takes usually 5 minutes max @ 30km/h, took 12 minutes at barely 20km/h ! Wow ! do these cars suck in the snow without winters on. I know I'm a dummy for driving without them, but I wanted to keep my summer ones for you guys this week-end . Now it's gonna depend on the forecast for this week-end. I might have to put them on anyways I guess.... At least you'll see my winter wheels.

BTW, you can see some more recent pictures of my ride at http://milou.ca:2112/galleryMilou/ma...m&g2_itemId=23

Amazingly enough I scheduled my winters to be put on almost a month ago, and whaddya know it happens to coincide with the first day of snow.

Having the runflats off is making me realize just how harsh they make the ride. Everything is soooo much smoother now. I think on the bumpy quebec roads it actually handles better with the winters on.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #98
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Sorry to intrude on the Dobermans matters and be off-topic, but I wont make it for the 19th. Don't think I don't want to meet you guys, it's just going to be on another occasion and I hope you have a lot of fun at the meet...!
It's on the 20th...

sergiodimarco,
I've added you to the official Montreal roster.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #99
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Hey,

Missed this last night.

I have my Dunlops M3 DSST winters so I was Okay dokey, even though I noticed a little slip starting on an incline from a red light.

I will definately have to get used to winter in my Bimmer - I come from an Audi, so winters for me---I used to get out during snow storms the first winter with my Audi just so I COULD HAVE FUN.

Anyways, I will venture to guess that it is only when the snow storm occurs that it will be a little dicey, otherwise, in the City post snow removal, should be fine.

But Benoitch, in winter without snows and with high performance summer tires = walk

I really look forward to meeting you all this Sunday and ogling our respective cars.

Tom, I am curious how much smoother your ride is without the runflats; I have the runflats.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #100
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
It's on the 20th...
Sorry, well I won't be there either on the 20th...

But I'm sure there will be other occasions.

Got the snow tires (Blizzaks) and the car did okay yesterday, I'm sure it would have been terrible with summer tires...!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #101
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Sorry, well I won't be there either on the 20th...

But I'm sure there will be other occasions.

Got the snow tires (Blizzaks) and the car did okay yesterday, I'm sure it would have been terrible with summer tires...!
It was. Today I decided to put my winters on. I was afraid they don't fit. In the front I have about 1-2 mm of clearance for the brake calipers and about 1" clearance for the suspension. In the rear, it's all perfect. The car look is affected of course. The car is lower cause the wheels are smaller hence they look weird in the fender well. Oh well, I saved 2k $. Maybe nexst year. BTW, my tires are Toyo's (non run-flats of course). Can't wait to feel the difference (don't know yet as I waxed my car after changing the wheels - so no outside going tonight !).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
But Benoitch, in winter without snows and with high performance summer tires = walk
Yeah, I should have had my boy walk home. But then again, at the speed he walks, he would probably be still walking as I write this

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #102
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Are you using your e46 mags for winter ?

I thought they don't fit the e90 330.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 09:52 PM   #103
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:

Tom, I am curious how much smoother your ride is without the runflats; I have the runflats.
When I first drove the car it felt much better. Everything felt much smoother and the wheels don't constantly feel like they're losing contact with the road on bumps. The tires just feel much softer.

Now having driven it a bit more I miss the more rigid feeling of the runflats... somehow it feels just a bit too soft and the sporty feeling is gone to an extent particularly on corners or when swerving... the handling doesn't feel tight anymore. It actually feels a bit weird, I suspect maybe because the suspension was supposedly designed around the more rigid runflat tires.

I'm on Toyo non-runflat winters btw and they suck in the rain. The grip on them looks pretty mean though so I think they'll be good in the snow. The tires place was a bit surprised how much wear I had on my tires already for someone who has only had the car for 1.5 months. I just know I'm going to be coughing up for new runflats after the second season...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 10:14 PM   #104
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

I read that the first 3mms of wear is pretty fast, but the next 3-6mm will take a year or so.

I am hoping that mine will last two seasons. We'll see. Problem is the more we turn, the more we burn ....

Do you have sport package ?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #105
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
I read that the first 3mms of wear is pretty fast, but the next 3-6mm will take a year or so.

I am hoping that mine will last two seasons. We'll see. Problem is the more we turn, the more we burn ....

Do you have sport package ?
No, I have the girly wheels as stew calls them.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #106
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Interesting how much of a difference a tire can make - I am thinking about the fact that the sporty feeling is toned down with you new winters.

BTW - so far (its still early on) I love my Dunlop M3s run flats. Hit a bump (actually a construction site ) faster than I should...I bottomed out my ZSP (which is not difficult to do) and I am sure it was the run flats that saved my rim from early death. And the traction/grip in rain and the little snowy-icey thing yesterday was excellent.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 11:53 PM   #107
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting how much of a difference a tire can make - I am thinking about the fact that the sporty feeling is toned down with you new winters.

BTW - so far (its still early on) I love my Dunlop M3s run flats. Hit a bump (actually a construction site ) faster than I should...I bottomed out my ZSP (which is not difficult to do) and I am sure it was the run flats that saved my rim from early death. And the traction/grip in rain and the little snowy-icey thing yesterday was excellent.
Yeah, I normally notice a difference between the feel of summer/winter tires... but this is really a very drastic difference.

In hindsight I probably should have spent the extra $$ and sprung for winter runflats as well. Did you feel a big difference when you put yours on?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #108
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you using your e46 mags for winter ?

I thought they don't fit the e90 330.
Yes. BUT .... these were not BMW wheels. I got CSA Gladiator from Lazer Auto. They are +40 offset and 17". So far they seem to fit just fine. I have called the dealer to ask some questions regarding minimum acceptable clearance but they did not want to answer. Well actually the answer they gave was basically the " if it ain't BMW wheels for the E90 it does not fit and do not install them" bulshit. I called Lazer Auto and he was more than confident based on my explaination. He also told me that the Subaru WRX, factory, had so little clearance it's insane. Anyways, it works.

As for the roughness, findtom, of course non runflats would have an effect, but also don't forget that you are surely using higher profiled tires which will give lateral movement in curves. I have the Toyo's too and for the last 5 years at least and they are absolutely marvelous on ice and snow. As for rain, they're not that bad. Sure the Blizzak are better... for 2 months ! Don't know yet for the Dunlop though. A friend of mine bought the Hancook and he was really surprised how good they were (he is driving a Lexus IS300 and driving hard - he damaged 2 sets of wheels already).

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #109
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Cannot say I noticed a difference because I had my summer tires for, like, one day. Got the car Friday afternoon, changed to winter tires on Sunday of that same weekend.

I had to borrow the jack from an old 5 Series from my salesman (lease return) and give it back by that Monday, since my own 3 Series jack set was not in yet (it came in 10 days later and I was afraid of pullling a Benoitch - just kidding).

As for how I actually find Dunlops, I think mine will do great, my wife runs the M2s non-run flat) on her X3 and we had zero issues with traction last winter.

I only used Pirellis Snowsport before this car.

I do find that they are a little loud (which is normal for winters), perhaps a little louder than the Pirrellis were.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #110
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

Winter package offer from park avenue bmw:

1- 16` for $1680 + tax (not mags.....steel wheels i think)
2- 17` for $2970+tax 225 45 17 BRIGESTONE BLIZZAK LM22 RUNFLAT+mags bmw style 158

winter package from Lazer auto:
Dunlop winter sport M3DSST runflat + ASA mags JH3 17` for $2420 tax included

I might go with Lazer auto (I find bmw 17`offer too expensive and style158 aren t that nice)....what do you guys think about this offer?
Are the ASA good mags?
Do this package feet to the 330i as well?

Should I go with 225front and 255back with winter tires or just 225 front and back? what did you do bimmerista(you have SP as well)?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread