E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > buying an m3?

05-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

buying an m3?

Hi:

I saw this m3 on autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

Is this any good? Price is very good. I know it has 3 owners and Im going to be the forth. As long as the car is in good state then I am fine with it. But are there any known issues with m3? Because I own an e92 335i msport right now, I saw the prices of m3 are coming down and I found this. Any possible suggestions of why people keep selling this particular m3? Could it be that it has a mechanical issue? But it says it has full bmw history, so issues should be sorted, right?

N its an M reg? This is just to do what the plate that comes with the car right?

Also, since I am driving an auto 335i now. How is it like comparing to driving a manual m3? I have driven the e46 m3, normal driving is fine but once I was in the congestion, I found it tough as the biting point was quite high?

Please give me some guidance.

I post it in the m3 uk forum as well. Sorry to repost it here. I just want to have some more opinions and quicker response.

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
Wow, what a gorgeous M3. Fantastic colour. At just 39k miles that big V8 is only just ran-in.

What a bonus having the six speed manual gearbox too

Wonder why it's so cheap? Maybe cat D?

The M333 plate is simply a cover plate. It will be 07 or 57 plate.

At that price I could be interested too. Wonder if any one fancies a mint black 335i
      05-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

It says HPI clear so unlikely to be CATD etc.

Nice car, low spec but for the price.... Nice.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

really? low spec? emmm.... Im not sure really? What is missing do you think? EDC? (Sorry, im not trying to be rude here, bcos I think my statement sounded rude, but what is missing really?)

As long as it has electrically adjustable seats with memory and elec folding mirrors and sat nav with aux input then im ok with it.. sort of. :P
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
It says HPI clear so unlikely to be CATD etc.

Nice car, low spec but for the price.... Nice.

Matt
Low spec? Dont all M3's come fully loaded with stuff you have to spec on the rest of the e9x cars. Dont think they come with a sun roof, but sat-nav, heated seats etc are standard.

Does seem very cheap, but I guess you still have to take the high running costs into consideration!
      05-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton2002 View Post
really? low spec? emmm.... Im not sure really? What is missing do you think? EDC? (Sorry, im not trying to be rude here, bcos I think my statement sounded rude, but what is missing really?)

As long as it has electrically adjustable seats with memory and elec folding mirrors and sat nav with aux input then im ok with it.. sort of. :P
Most of the items listed are standard (doesn't say folding mirrors) Privacy glass, heated seats and bluetooth are extra and not sure but from the photos looks as if it might have 19" alloys which is a good option to have.
Says full BMW history so if it all checks out sounds a good price check it had the 1000 mile service on time to old to effect warranty but would hit it on price.
      05-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
M3 extras would include heated seats, folding mirrors, bluetooth, adjustable centre armrest, privacy glass, 19" wheels so this car has quite a few of the typical extras already.

EDC has supporters and detractors. Not having it won't hurt it's selling price after the fourth owner. SO, it's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool, so.. it sounds like a good deal then! I think it might be time to check out the car in real person. I am waiting for the guy to get back to me tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick999 View Post
Low spec? Dont all M3's come fully loaded with stuff you have to spec on the rest of the e9x cars. Dont think they come with a sun roof, but sat-nav, heated seats etc are standard.

Does seem very cheap, but I guess you still have to take the high running costs into consideration!
They have a lot of spec, but there are still a lot of extras available on M3s

On mine, the following are extras:
  • Extended Leather
  • 19" Wheels
  • Shadowline Trim
  • M DCT
  • EDC
  • Bluetooth
  • Front PDC
  • Heated Seats
  • DAB Radio
  • Hi-Fi Speakers
  • USB Audio
  • HBA
and there are still some i don't have.
  • Even fancier speakers
  • Folding mirrors
  • Comfort access
  • TV
  • Privacy Glass
  • Sliding armrest
  • etc...
That car looks nice, it defiantly has 19" wheels, privacy glass & shadowline trim - it also has performance grills by the look of it. You do see some where people have all the exterior options & not many interior ones though.

Then again, half of my options were not listed on the advert - like this one it's not an official BMW place so lots of the time they don't know what's an option and what's not. I made a list and ticked them off when I went to look at the car.

I can't comment on the manual gears as I have MDCT, but I recently went from the 335i to the M3 and am loving it. It's a different beast: you'll probably notice the lack of low down torque so in some ways it's not quite as driveable, but give it some revs and it flies - and what a soundtrack!

The only thing i'm not loving at the moment is the 13mpg mine is doing round town

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP

Last edited by rjs; 05-25-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:06 AM   #10
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ya, as others have said, I was referring to its spec as an M3. My 335D, for example, had significantly higher spec, whilst my 135i had more OPTIONS though its hard to compare like for like, as of course the 135i just isnt speccable with certain things that the M3 (and E90 coupe in general) have as standard.

It COULD have EDC anyway, I've seen loads of ad's not listed it and picked it up in pics. Take advantage of the dealers lack of knowledge in such cases if you can.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i just bought my E92 M3 3 weeks ago from a dealer(not BMW)...............

Paid £30k

its a 30,000 mile 2008(on a 57 plate)

its the colour i like - Interlagos Blue

Manual - No EDC

it does have shadowlines, 19" alloys, heated & electric memory seats, privacy glass, bluetooth, widescreen nav

Main reason i went for it was the low mileage, the colour - dealer selling was only 10 miles from me and i got £15k part-ex, where WBAC offered £11.5k and another dealer offered £13.5k

Max
      05-25-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
It COULD have EDC anyway, I've seen loads of ad's not listed it and picked it up in pics. Take advantage of the dealers lack of knowledge in such cases if you can.
This is totally true. I know loads of people who have picked up bargains due to the lack of knowledge from traders (and even main dealers!). The Nissan dealership I bought my car from didn't know how old it was according to the advert nor did they know which sat nav version it had; I got a steal .

Why don't you call the local BMW dealers to where the car is located (or maybe any dealer for that matter), tell them you're thinking of buying an M3, give them the reg plate, and ask politely if they'll advise you of a breakdown of its full spec. They are usually happy to oblige (they're hardly breaking any major data protection rules).

You're local dealer might be more helpful if you promise it'll be going there for future servicing needs .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #13
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
The full list of stuff not mentioned in the advert I saw for mine I think was:
  • Extended Leather
  • Shadowline Trim
  • EDC
  • Front PDC
  • Heated Seats
  • DAB Radio
  • Business Speakers
  • USB Audio
  • Storage Pack
  • Wind Deflector
  • Individual Paint
  • Individual Trim
  • Tracker
I spotted most of it form the pictures, and the rest from looking at the car.

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #14
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Is there any issues with the M3 such as HPFP or cracked alloys etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
Is there any issues with the M3 such as HPFP or cracked alloys etc?
The main issue is that if anything goes out of warranty, you better be prepared to take it up the shitter because that's what BMW will do to you!!

Seriously, I don't think I have read about a 'common' M3 fault, but then I wouldn't...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #16
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i just phoned my local BMW parts section and with num plate or last 7 of chaasis number will tell you exactly what your car(or potential car) is specced with.............
      05-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

so whats the benefit of getting the local dealer to do spec analysing for me? Just to challenge the lack of knowledge of the trader? I think I might try attacking through no EDC for now first. maybe? :P
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #18
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
so whats the benefit of getting the local dealer to do spec analysing for me? Just to challenge the lack of knowledge of the trader?
Erm, fairly obviously, you'll know what you're buying. Many traders flog these cars without full knowledge what they've got on their hands. If you find out, from a main dealer, what options & spec is on that particular car you can judge whether its great value or just OK value.

The list of options, on any BMW, is huge and can easily add 20+% to the original price list. You obviously wont pay the same 25% inflated price when used but it does make the car much more desireable.

Information = Power when buying.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #19
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
so whats the benefit of getting the local dealer to do spec analysing for me? Just to challenge the lack of knowledge of the trader? I think I might try attacking through no EDC for now first. maybe? :P
Don't tell the dealer You just need to know what you are buying. When I bought mine he had just dropped the price by £1000, probably due to a lack of interest because of the poor advertising.

E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Having said all that, if I were that dealer - I'd be taking no less than £24,500 until it had been up a couple of weeks at least.

Why take less? It's a bargain already, EDC or not and I doubt it will hang around mate, so get it bought. If it hadn't been spotted by another member here, I'd already be on the phone for it.... (a few others on here know I would as well lol.)

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

It does look a bargain to be honest and a lovely colour also.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #22
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Knowing what are options is useful if only to say 'well that's standard' when the seller is trying to say how fantastic the car is.

I agree, the price sounds good, but photos can only show so much. She may well be a '20 meter bird'. Looks fantastic from 20 meters, but when you get up close
Appreciate 0